Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This was less than a year ago. You are fooling yourself if you think FSU is the only team that wants out.

Less than two years ago, the FSU Rivals site put out that GT to the Big10 was imminent. There is a lot of stuff that gets posted on the internet. Very little of it is actually true. There are two twitter posters that keep posting that FSU is leaving in the next XX days. It doesn't happen, and then they post something very similar, but slightly different and people keep believing it over and over again. McMurphy isn't Greg Swaim. But if you read that post, he isn't reporting first hand information. He is quoting two other twitter accounts. People have been trying very hard to be FIRST in reporting the breakup of the ACC. They have been trying so hard to be FIRST, that being accurate is of little importance. Especially with Swaim. He has been saying every few weeks that FSU is announcing by XX date, and all of those dates have passed without FSU announcing their departure.

Even if the "magnificent 7" were looking at ways to get around the GOR, it should be some assurance in the stability of the ACC that only one of those schools has actually challenged it. Plus the school that challenged it didn't actually challenge the GOR, but have put in a lot of emotional cries about how unfair it is to the GREAT MIGHTY FSU. Talk about stability: Half your conference looks for loopholes to get out and can't find any. (Not that I believe all of the twitter hype about the "magnificent 7" in the first place.)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Concerning the F$U withdrawal and the TV contract ending in 2027, the BIG XII only has conference games scheduled until the same year. $EC and B10 are year to year(for the moment but both are looking at multiple year formats). ACC has conference matchups until 2030 listed.

If the ACC was so sure of the GOR going until 2036, why not schedule games until then? And if the other conferences are scheduling games (or looking into) for many many years ahead, why does the BIG XII only do it for 3 more years?

My guess is the 2027 date has already been accepted and a truly end-of-times realignment will happen. Will CBS and NBC join E$PN/ABC and FOX in hosting college football? What about a TNT/TBS? It's gonna be one big game of dodge ball and whoever the big 2 choose for their side will see the light and everyone else will get to play home and homes with Akron, Idaho and Directional State University.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Less than two years ago, the FSU Rivals site put out that GT to the Big10 was imminent. There is a lot of stuff that gets posted on the internet. Very little of it is actually true. There are two twitter posters that keep posting that FSU is leaving in the next XX days. It doesn't happen, and then they post something very similar, but slightly different and people keep believing it over and over again. McMurphy isn't Greg Swaim. But if you read that post, he isn't reporting first hand information. He is quoting two other twitter accounts. People have been trying very hard to be FIRST in reporting the breakup of the ACC. They have been trying so hard to be FIRST, that being accurate is of little importance. Especially with Swaim. He has been saying every few weeks that FSU is announcing by XX date, and all of those dates have passed without FSU announcing their departure.

Even if the "magnificent 7" were looking at ways to get around the GOR, it should be some assurance in the stability of the ACC that only one of those schools has actually challenged it. Plus the school that challenged it didn't actually challenge the GOR, but have put in a lot of emotional cries about how unfair it is to the GREAT MIGHTY FSU. Talk about stability: Half your conference looks for loopholes to get out and can't find any. (Not that I believe all of the twitter hype about the "magnificent 7" in the first place.)
You are comparing nonsense rumors to actual reporting by legitimate sports writers. There is some serious coping going on in this thread.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Big 12 already has a 32 million dollar a year deal compared to the ACC's 40 million dollar deal. You don't think in 5 years they will be able to negotiate that higher?

No. Again. See the offer to the PAC last year with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington still in the conference. There is no school currently in the Big-12 worth what those 4 are.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No. Again. See the offer to the PAC last year with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington still in the conference. There is no school currently in the Big-12 worth what those 4 are.
There was no offer to the PAC last year with USC and UCLA. USC and UCLA announced they were leaving in July of 2022. I can't find anything detailing any offers the conference received before that. If you have it then please share. From most reports, they weren't even in deep negotiations at that point. What we do know is that after USC, UCLA, and Colorado decided to leave, the Pac 12 had a starting offer from ESPN for 30 million a year per team. I find it a bit hard to believe that they couldnt get 40 million per team with USC, UCLA, and Colorado.

Either way though, you seem to think the Big 12 will be the first conference that will ever negotiate a new contract for less than their original contract without losing members. We will see.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No clue. Not sure why you would think I would know that. I just know they were actively trying to break the GOR so they could leave.
You’re the one predicting doom and gloom. Just thought you knew. Guess not. So, actively trying to break the GOR to leave, or investing the GOR in case a situation arises and they need to leave? Big difference between those two, and in both cases there has to be somewhere better to go.

Both the SEC and B1G will be very selective from here in out. The saturation point is near. Our raft is large and relatively stable. Others are less sizable and less stable.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You are comparing nonsense rumors to actual reporting by legitimate sports writers. There is some serious coping going on in this thread.
Who are the legitimate sports writers who are actually reporting? In my post I highlighted that McMurphy was simply repeating what other "reporters" had posted on twitter. Swaim is just spouting crap and hoping that he eventually gets something right. Even the mainstream reporters don't know what is actually going to happen. They are just getting into rumor territory with their reports. The biggest problem is that nobody with actual information is talking. That means that even the "legitimate sports writers" do not have actual information to report.

What do you think I am "coping" about? I simply do not accept information unless I can confirm that information. I do not accept internet rumors as fact.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
it would be patently stupid to break the GOR without a destination already confirmed. So where is more important than when.
I am not a lawyer, but my non-professional take: Usually a lawsuit is filed to recover damages suffered. Courts are usually skeptical at taking cases regarding potential circumstances. FSU hasn't taken action yet and suffered "damages". FSU hasn't taken action yet that would cause them to lose anything from an ACC membership or GOR standpoint. (The ACC has claimed direct damages from the actions of FSU, but that is minor as compared to the value of the GOR) IF FSU were certain about their position, they would leave the ACC, then file a lawsuit to retrieve their media rights. They are attempting to have a court decide before the surfer a loss, which to my understanding courts are reluctant to do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was no offer to the PAC last year with USC and UCLA. USC and UCLA announced they were leaving in July of 2022. I can't find anything detailing any offers the conference received before that. If you have it then please share. From most reports, they weren't even in deep negotiations at that point. What we do know is that after USC, UCLA, and Colorado decided to leave, the Pac 12 had a starting offer from ESPN for 30 million a year per team. I find it a bit hard to believe that they couldnt get 40 million per team with USC, UCLA, and Colorado.

Either way though, you seem to think the Big 12 will be the first conference that will ever negotiate a new contract for less than their original contract without losing members. We will see.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Who are the legitimate sports writers who are actually reporting? In my post I highlighted that McMurphy was simply repeating what other "reporters" had posted on twitter. Swaim is just spouting crap and hoping that he eventually gets something right. Even the mainstream reporters don't know what is actually going to happen. They are just getting into rumor territory with their reports. The biggest problem is that nobody with actual information is talking. That means that even the "legitimate sports writers" do not have actual information to report.

What do you think I am "coping" about? I simply do not accept information unless I can confirm that information. I do not accept internet rumors as fact.
McMurphy is a respected sports writer who was reporting on information by Ross Dellenger, another respected sports writer. These guys likely aren't lying. They likely aren't risking their careers to put nonsense rumors out into the internet. It's up to you to not believe anything anyone says, but some sources are obviously better than others. Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson are reporting that Jim Harbaugh is close to striking a deal with the Chargers. In your world they may be completely untrustworthy because they are on the internet, but I tend to give some trust to some of the better ones out there.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That was after USC, UCLA, and Colorado had announced they were leaving and after their own leadership blew up talks with ESPN when ESPN offered the conference 30 million per team per year and the Pac 12 leadership laughably counter offered at 50 million.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
McMurphy is a respected sports writer who was reporting on information by Ross Dellenger, another respected sports writer. These guys likely aren't lying. They likely aren't risking their careers to put nonsense rumors out into the internet. It's up to you to not believe anything anyone says, but some sources are obviously better than others. Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson are reporting that Jim Harbaugh is close to striking a deal with the Chargers. In your world they may be completely untrustworthy because they are on the internet, but I tend to give some trust to some of the better ones out there.
McMurphy says "if" before heading off into conjecture. His source could be my neighbor.

FSU is playing a risky game, but they are hoping to get a court to answer a question they aren't willing to ask. They could simply withdraw and test the GOR in a more straightforward way. But, they aren't that sure of winning and the cost would catastrophic for their AA.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I do have more trust in some sources than others. However, on the conference realignment issue, I only trust actual announcements. Remember less than two years ago there was a report ,from what was at the time a respected source, that GT was bolting for the Big10 and would start the dominos of the demise of the ACC. People know that conference realignment talk brings eyeballs. Media people like eyeballs. However, there has been a boatload more smoke than heat in the ACC "reporting". I am at the point where I don't care what people report, even respected reporters, unless there is extremely hard evidence to back it up. The McMurphy tweet that you posted was hyped as the beginning of the downfall of the ACC. It was posted soon afterwards that FSU would be announcing their departure within a week. The McMurphy tweet was vague enough that it could mean that seven teams are imminently leaving, or it could mean that at least seven of the teams had lawyers doing normal lawyer things during the past year. "Respected" journalism is almost an oxymoron now. Journalist who once were respected are fighting for the scraps of what used to be a profitable business, and are not immune from doing things they would not have 20 years ago.

With respect to teams leaving the ACC, or the demise of the ACC, I will not believe anything until it is officially announced. Not from a fetish about the ACC. Not because I love the ACC. Because I am fatigued from all of the mis-reporting that has happened regarding the ACC, some of it from "respected" journalists.