Conference Realignment

slugboy

Staff member

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If you believe the hype around FSU, they are leaving no matter what happens. Why would any of the schools agree to significantly less money to try to appease FSU, who already has one foot out of the door? FSU does not have the leverage they claim to have. IF FSU leaves now, they either have to pay $120 million to leave, plus somewhere around $400-600 million to get their broadcast rights, or pay $120 million and still let the ACC broadcast and collect the revenue from their games. The rest of the ACC would be in better financial shape if FSU had announced on Tuesday that they are leaving. My understanding is that the schools have agreed in principle to distribute post-season money unevenly based on how much revenue each school brings in during post season. I think there is very little chance in the next 4-5 years of a wildly different revenue distribution model for the existing ACC members. There is zero incentive for the majority of the conference to vote for such a thing. Under the sheet that you presented, there would be two votes to use that model.
And this all ASSUMES that the SEC would accept FSU. I suspect that UF might not want FSU to join. Let's be honest, FSU hasn't been a national powerhouse in decades now. FSU has such an inflated view of themselves.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Stanford wants out of the P4/P12, and is willing to take a reduced share to be in the ACC. Even no media payout for a few years.
(Mentioned earlier, but in AP this time around)

You know one thing I don't understand about some of our fans, are the ones who say Stanford Cal and SMU don't bring anything to the ACC. I have to guess those fans were not around when the ACC took in a piss poor GT in the ACC. How is Stanford any different than Tech was back before the ACC took us. From 2016 and 2010 they had 6 seasons of 10 win or more. Hell, I remember people on here talk about if Stanford could win why couldn't we. Cal has not had the records of Stanford but If they get the right coach who knows. As far as SMU you may look and see that in the last 4 years they have more wins than Texas. and what better way to piss of the SEC than the ACC get into Texas.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You know one thing I don't understand about some of our fans, are the ones who say Stanford Cal and SMU don't bring anything to the ACC. I have to guess those fans were not around when the ACC took in a piss poor GT in the ACC. How is Stanford any different than Tech was back before the ACC took us. From 2016 and 2010 they had 6 seasons of 10 win or more. Hell, I remember people on here talk about if Stanford could win why couldn't we. Cal has not had the records of Stanford but If they get the right coach who knows. As far as SMU you may look and see that in the last 4 years they have more wins than Texas. and what better way to piss of the SEC than the ACC get into Texas.
I agree, sort of. I was “around” but wasn’t paying much attention at age 5. I know the history in retrospect and where Tech was when the ACC lifeline came.
I had a similar thought when this PAC expansion talks all started. It’s more with regard to Cal, because they are REALLY on the ropes... Stanford will survive; Cal may not (at least in current form).
Things change, unfortunately..... or perhaps fortunately.... or maybe they just change. This could easily become a “good old days” type of post but suffice to say, not very many of the circumstances in ‘79 are applicable today. Aside from the fact that none of this has been driven by actual academics, the cultural, geographic, and academic “fit” of GT to the ACC is night and day different from Stanford / Cal and the ACC. It’s certainly a noble endeavor to aid them both and I suspect we already would have (despite the money) if they were right here in our backyard.

That said, I do agree that they’re solid adds and if there’s any way to make it work, it’s a good move

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree, sort of. I was “around” but wasn’t paying much attention at age 5. I know the history in retrospect and where Tech was when the ACC lifeline came.
I had a similar thought when this PAC expansion talks all started. It’s more with regard to Cal, because they are REALLY on the ropes... Stanford will survive; Cal may not (at least in current form).
Things change, unfortunately..... or perhaps fortunately.... or maybe they just change. This could easily become a “good old days” type of post but suffice to say, not very many of the circumstances in ‘79 are applicable today. Aside from the fact that none of this has been driven by actual academics, the cultural, geographic, and academic “fit” of GT to the ACC is night and day different from Stanford / Cal and the ACC. It’s certainly a noble endeavor to aid them both and I suspect we already would have (despite the money) if they were right here in our backyard.

That said, I do agree that they’re solid adds and if there’s any way to make it work, it’s a good move
Tech joining the ACC wasn't a lifeline for Tech. Tech was already in the Metro, but joining did give it more stability. Still, it isn't as if the ACC felt sorry for the Jackets.

The ACC played in mostly small stadiums and the revenue model THEN was to split gate revenue and the occasional telecast. Adding Tech (which had the largest stadium) instantly increased revenue for the remaining schools and gave it the third largest TV market. It was a win-win for both.

That is not the case with Stanford or Cal.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Tech joining the ACC wasn't a lifeline for Tech. Tech was already in the Metro, but joining did give it more stability. Still, it isn't as if the ACC felt sorry for the Jackets.

The ACC played in mostly small stadiums and the revenue model THEN was to split gate revenue and the occasional telecast. Adding Tech (which had the largest stadium) instantly increased revenue for the remaining schools and gave it the third largest TV market. It was a win-win for both.

That’s good info that I did not know...
much needed context.
Thanks

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. Stanford is actually a great school to bring in. However, from a TV viewership standpoint, I'm not sure how much they bring. I'll be honest, I don't remember ever watching any Stanford football games. The conference realignment decisions are all being driven by the money for media rights to football games. So from that standpoint, I'm not sure how much Stanford brings to the table.

BTW, I'm curious how Stanford's desperation may play into Notre Dame's insistence on remaining independent. I understand ND has been trying to apply pressure to the ACC to invite Stanford and the other PAC4 teams. Perhaps Stanford should use this to push ND into actually joining a conference for football?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
BTW, I'm curious how Stanford's desperation may play into Notre Dame's insistence on remaining independent. I understand ND has been trying to apply pressure to the ACC to invite Stanford and the other PAC4 teams. Perhaps Stanford should use this to push ND into actually joining a conference for football?
F$U's AD was quoted as saying, if ND would join the ACC in football, they'd change their vote. ND is asking NBC for $75M/yr - up from $22M. The ball may be in ESPN's court...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Stanford is actually a great school to bring in. However, from a TV viewership standpoint, I'm not sure how much they bring. I'll be honest, I don't remember ever watching any Stanford football games. The conference realignment decisions are all being driven by the money for media rights to football games. So from that standpoint, I'm not sure how much Stanford brings to the table.

Well, I’m not sure Stanford is really that desperate. They are among the wealthiest of wealthy and outside of ND may be the next most viable independent out there. I read somewhere (actual article... still maybe drivel, but not Twitter or message board) that they flatly refused the B12. That would’ve been desperation. ;)
That said, an alliance with the ACC would be huge for them.
I hope this forces ND’s hand, but I’m not seeing it. Who knows... stranger things have happened (and are happening).
I will say that I hope the “no” votes are looking at ND right now. I wish there were a couple more actually, because I think this might get done without forcing ND’s hand.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
If Stanford comes in for free, we would be fools not to take them. Honestly, we are going to be in a dogfight with the B12 for number 3 status going forward. The reality is that we are the only conference with Brands that the top conferences want, we need to leverage, our payout and our security for the next 5 years to get bigger brands and marque matchups than the Big 12.

Because when the raiding happens to the ACC, at that point we would still be above the B12. I am assuming we are going to lose FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, and possibly one more.

I think FSU will go to the SEC, and I think they will become mediocre, but that is another topic for another day.

I think Clemson or Miami won't get picked in a Big 2 conference because I think the linear cable model of money is drying up, also the subscription model doesn't provide the same level of revenue, so the payouts will go down if that is the model college football moves too. And finally, the item that nobody is talking about, is that interest in Football as a sport is declining. Every metric from viewership to participation tells the story that Football is slowly becoming less popular with Americans. If I were the ACC commissioner, I would do the following.

Work to bring on
1) WVU, yes, we need to take them, every conference needs a villain, and WVU is perfect for this. People will watch WVU vs PITT, or WVU vs VT, because you really don't know if a WVU fan will take a dump in the opposing team section. It's good TV.
2) Stanford, they fit, they have a huge endowment, they immediately would become one of the largest ACC athletic budgets, and for all your cool ACC kids, they practically win every other sport besides the ones that Southerns care about.
3) Cal, another ideological fit, and would help travel with Stanford
4) Florida school to keep a presence when both FSU and Miami leave
5) Texas School, SMU, or even TCU, or take 2 of SMU and Baylor.

At this point, we have lost FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA but have gained, WVU, Stanford, Cal, Florida School, SMU and possibly TCU.

Its definitely not ideal, but I think this would keep us slightly above the big 12 in payouts, we would keep Florida, gain Texas, California and matchups with WVU.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I really hope you don’t think we would have been fine playing in the Metro . We only played basketball in the Metro and we’re not that good. We wanted back in the SEC but could not get the vote. So yes the ACC did help Tech.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
ND could make it happen tomorrow. I still think a lot of eyes are watching the negotiations with NBC....
ND's admission into the conference would be the one thing that would solidify the ACC. But if they sign a contract anywhere near the ballpark figures reportedly considered, the ACC will be hard pressed to compete, unfortunately:

"Sources have recently indicated to Irish Breakdown that the $60 million figure is a realistic number to expect from the new deal."

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
ND's admission into the conference would be the one thing that would solidify the ACC. But if they sign a contract anywhere near the ballpark figures reportedly considered, the ACC will be hard pressed to compete, unfortunately:

"Sources have recently indicated to Irish Breakdown that the $60 million figure is a realistic number to expect from the new deal."
If tey don't join us, just threaten to void our "other" sport arrangment. Surely that's worth some $ to them.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan

Accordi g to this, Stanford may be willing to join for free. This is turning into a dumpster fire. I never took any geography courses, but I guess the Atlantic Coast can extend to California?
If the ACC accepts the west coast schools, is a name change in order? Does the ACC become the All Coast Conference? The American Collegiate Conference?

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I don’t want to like this because id love ND to join up, but it’s good info nevertheless.

Interesting excerpt from the article that is lost in this madness...
“Sources say the school should expect around $60 million per year from a new contract,” sports media reporter John Ourand said last year in the Sports Business Journal. “Though it’s hard to predict how the media business will look three years from now.”

The bolded is almost always treated as a positive but I don’t believe it should be. We aren’t privy to details but all of these deals have market driven adjustment in them. So far, all of those adjustments have been up, but I wonder if the same mechanism is allowed to work in reverse. Is there a “floor” in these deals?

We keep hearing about the huge “projected” payouts coming but they’re projections. Most of the angst in fans’ minds comes from the 5 year projections of the BIG and SEC relative to what their team actually got last year. Neither figure is real for comparison purposes.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd call it the American Coastal Conference.
I am personally in favor of it eventually becoming the kudzu league conference. Get all of us nerds together!

Obviously a BIG 10 invite is ideal but being in a league with similarly-minded schools (Stanford, Duke, Cal, WF, BC, etc) would put us in a stable situation