Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only negative impact will be upon our own fragile GT ego’s. Literally nobody else in cfb or elsewhere cares.
Right now, but somewhere down the road we may find these old traditions important to our brand, and the importance of them both monetary and otherwise should be worked into our calculations.
I didn't say don't do it. I'm saying is that we should be careful not to sacrifice them for momentary lucre. If we can do that, I'm all for it.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Show me the money!!!!
Show Me The Money GIF

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
from 2022....UCF is getting about $2 million a year for 10 years. Maybe we could do better in 2023?
The fact that I didn't know this ever happened probably tells you other fans won't give two s***s.

But still, it feels kind of dirty.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Given their propensity for poor decisions, they might sign a deal with freaking bud light and put a picture of mulvaney on the scoreboard.
Does the Buzzweiser song at the end of the 3rd quarter get cancelled this year for similarity? I'd think at the very least, some fans will modify certain lyrics.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This again? We are 18-6 against UNC over the past 25 years. UNC is not competitive with us. And we are 5-3 against VT since 2014. And we beat both of them last year.
What is your point? Honest question. Is it that the examples used were ones you disagree with or are you saying that we don't need the money because we are already competitive enough? Or none of the above?

Yes we've beaten UNC. But the last 4 years they've been to bowl games (lost 3 of the 4) and we haven't even sniffed one. VPISU was probably a bad example, I'll give you that. And, honestly, we don't know how competitive we'll be now with Coach Key at the helm (I think, though, we probably all agree he gives us a much better chance than his predecessor and I'm excited to see how Key and his staff move the needle as I expect they will nicely).

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Our tradition unfortunately doesn't mean a lot to the outside world. For long-term GT fans it does. But reality is we have to significantly up our revenue stream. Looking at the West Stands, we have a senior fan base and my suspicion is a substantial portion of the donor base. We need to attract new fans and fast. That comes from having money to compete. The naming rights (assuming it does to GT Athletics) will not help NIL but will help what we can pay for facilities, coaching staff and recruiting staff. We need the money. If we can get a decent deal for naming rights, it is time to pull that lever. I am not wild about losing traditions but that is long gone with the crazy TV money, the effects of NIL and open season on transfers. We need to figure out a way to be back in the Top 25 consistently to make any progress in this athletic rat race.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The GTAA needs a lot more money. So I wouldn’t bee surprised to see major sponsorship deals for the naming rights to GT’s football field and basketball gymnasium — especially when the new AD comes on board.

How about:

Home Depot Stadium at Bobby Dodd-Grant Field

As a Tech Alumni and a Home Depot retiree this works for me.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I mean, everyone knows it's called Grant field simply because the Grant family gave $15k in 1913 to build the concrete stands, right? Let's name the stands the Grant Stands and make the money off the field.
The Grant family got over 100 years of “notoriety” for $15K. Thanks and move on if there is a good deal out there.

Really need a billionaire to pay to raze the old stadium and build a modern one. Not likely though.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of tradition, last year's Rose Bowl was "The Rose Bowl Game presented by Prudential". Did anyone object?