Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What is your point? Honest question. Is it that the examples used were ones you disagree with or are you saying that we don't need the money because we are already competitive enough? Or none of the above?

Yes we've beaten UNC. But the last 4 years they've been to bowl games (lost 3 of the 4) and we haven't even sniffed one. VPISU was probably a bad example, I'll give you that. And, honestly, we don't know how competitive we'll be now with Coach Key at the helm (I think, though, we probably all agree he gives us a much better chance than his predecessor and I'm excited to see how Key and his staff move the needle as I expect they will nicely).
That the examples given were bad, particularly UNC. Whether UNC goes to a bowl is completely irrelevant to whether we are competitive with them or not. They have had some of, if not the, softest schedules in the ACC for years, their record is built up on fluff wins. We beat them as much over the last 25 years as uga has beaten us, and I guarantee you not one uga fan is saying they need more money to be competitive with Tech. For reference, Duke has the same number of wins against us as UNC over that period. We just had the worst 4 year streak of football in the last 30+ years of the program, and we still beat UNC 2 out of 3 times we played in that period.

In regards to not even sniffing a bowl game, we went 5-7 last year, so one win away from bowl eligibility, and technically it's possible and some teams do get bowl invites at 5-7, so it seems to me like we at least caught a whiff. But that's a much more minor quibble.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nobody gonna call it Hyundai
We can call it by its rightful name
Naming rights means what it says. All news outlets, broadcasts, announcer speak, print advertising -all will have to use the Terminex Pest Control Field or whatever corporate name buys the rights.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yellow Jacket Field @BDS?

1688768029138.png

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The Grant family got over 100 years of “notoriety” for $15K. Thanks and move on if there is a good deal out there.

Really need a billionaire to pay to raze the old stadium and build a modern one. Not likely though.
Instead we had a deep pocket donor make a 7 figure donation strictly to women’s sports. 🤦

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That the examples given were bad, particularly UNC. Whether UNC goes to a bowl is completely irrelevant to whether we are competitive with them or not. They have had some of, if not the, softest schedules in the ACC for years, their record is built up on fluff wins. We beat them as much over the last 25 years as uga has beaten us, and I guarantee you not one uga fan is saying they need more money to be competitive with Tech. For reference, Duke has the same number of wins against us as UNC over that period. We just had the worst 4 year streak of football in the last 30+ years of the program, and we still beat UNC 2 out of 3 times we played in that period.

In regards to not even sniffing a bowl game, we went 5-7 last year, so one win away from bowl eligibility, and technically it's possible and some teams do get bowl invites at 5-7, so it seems to me like we at least caught a whiff. But that's a much more minor quibble.
Thank you I can understand not liking those examples, though I do feel we have lagged lately versus UNC but lots of that was a poor choice for head coach and not necessarily because they are a better program so I think we are probably not far off from one another there. And I do agree VPISU was a poor example.

As for bowl games, we didn’t REALLY sniff a bowl game last year. But I’ll agree we caught a whiff of some odor but it was fleeting. However, I think if Key had been head coach the whole year it isn’t a stretch to say we definitely could have gone bowling. Would you agree? I think you probably do. Given what he and the team did under those circumstances it’s not unreasonable to think 6-6 was truly in our grasp.

In the topic of finding ways to funnel more money into our programs, I don’t have a problem with selling sponsorship naming rights to a reputable company (one that pays its bills and isn’t a fly-by-night organization). I do believe that more money, if used properly, can do a lot of good for our athletics.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hate these corporate naming rights stadium deals, and I don’t really understand why the corporations bother in most cases, because I don’t really pay much attention to the sponsor name in most cases, and I assume there others like me. For example, I know the brave’s stadium is called truist park (it took me about one season to remember it), but I just think of it as and refer to it as “the brave’s stadium”. My point is, I just don’t think the corporations really gain any name recognition by doing this, so I don’t see the return on investment. Plus, when the name is likely to change every few years, it is just that much more annoying to call the stadium by some bogus name, when you know it might not even exist by that name in a year or two.
Yeah, it amazes me that corporations will pay piles of cash just to hang their name on a stadium. But that's why I'm not on Madison Avenue (well, that's one reason).

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate these corporate naming rights stadium deals, and I don’t really understand why the corporations bother in most cases, because I don’t really pay much attention to the sponsor name in most cases, and I assume there others like me. For example, I know the brave’s stadium is called truist park (it took me about one season to remember it), but I just think of it as and refer to it as “the brave’s stadium”. My point is, I just don’t think the corporations really gain any name recognition by doing this, so I don’t see the return on investment. Plus, when the name is likely to change every few years, it is just that much more annoying to call the stadium by some bogus name, when you know it might not even exist by that name in a year or two.
Yeah I’ve never understood why a company would do that. If somebody suggested dumping millions on it in a company meeting that I was at, I would have a very hard time not laughing.
Personally I don’t believe a single soul has been converted to Truist bank because of their stadium name. But I guess that’s the beauty and security of some marketing jobs, immeasurable ROI.

With this being said if McDonald’s wants to name our field Grimace Shake Grass for enough money to buy 5-6 more 4 stars per class I’m in full support.

We can keep calling it grant field behind their backs and just return officially to name once we’ve harvested millions from corporate nonsense.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I’ve never understood why a company would do that. If somebody suggested dumping millions on it in a company meeting that I was at, I would have a very hard time not laughing.
Personally I don’t believe a single soul has been converted to Truist bank because of their stadium name. But I guess that’s the beauty and security of some marketing jobs, immeasurable ROI.

With this being said if McDonald’s wants to name our field Grimace Shake Grass for enough money to buy 5-6 more 4 stars per class I’m in full support.

We can keep calling it grant field behind their backs and just return officially to name once we’ve harvested millions from corporate nonsense.
Name recognition matters. It’s an “advertising” expense. Most naming rights don’t pay all that much.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Assume the field is renamed, who would you prefer.
Delta Airlines
Home Depot
Coca-cola
Hyundai/Genesis/any auto brand
Microsoft
Amazon
Meta
Lenovo/IBM/DELL/Cisco
Budweiser/ Anheuser Busch

Personally would like Delta or Home Depot

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think if our neighbor Coke was interested this would be ideal. The effort to promote the ATL with GT may have gone overboard during Coach Collins' tenure, but it is still is a major asset of our school. I know many of our guys have worked for Coke and other local businesses. I trust parents are still interested in life after football. Put it this way in the form of a recruiting pitch. " There is no better college degree in Division One Football than a degree from GT. The contacts, connections and employment opportunities from within the Atlanta business community and from alumni around the country are second to none."