Collins on Packer & Durham

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hope you’re wrong on that. If his assistants were hired without his input, we’re just prolonging the inevitable. Have to believe we would at least TRY to put together a cohesive staff.... :unsure:
Unfortunately, we're in a (ahem) somewhat less than optimal situation. Desperate times require desperate measures.
It was clear to most that this staff needed shaking up after 2020. I don't know how swift Geoff is on the uptake.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Children, children, children......listen up......Billy Lothridge says hi, although from his grave in Gainesville.
Lothridge and Joe both finished runner up in the Heisman. Joe not winning was a travesty. Billy not so much as he lost to Roger Staubach but he was a very good quarterback, place kicker, and punter. Lothridge beat UGA three years in a row.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one who wishes I could hop in with Michael J fox, hit the 12/1/22 button, and be transported to after we finish (2-10, 3-9, 4-8, or 5-7) in 2022? More than likely CGC will be gone and all of us can start to focus our attention on who will be the next HC and maybe there will be some unity and excitement around the future of the program again!!! (at least for a year or two)

Not trying to be dramatic or ultra negative just being honest with where we are as a program, our 2022 schedule, and how many fans have already lost their patience with our current regime and are ready for someone new.

DkbJ.gif

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I listened to most of it and thought Collins showed more control and less raw enthusiasm than how I usually see him. I am glad to see that. He just needs to put the ball down and play. Talk doesn't mean **** now or for that matter ever has - it's w's and team improvement so playing clean good football without stupid mistakes is all that matter as always.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m rooting for Collins because I still believe his vision is correct regarding what GT could be with the talent in the metro area and the rest of the state. But, he’s proven he doesn’t know how to do the coaching part. I’ve sat in the stands and just watched him. He really is lost on the sidelines. With that said if he leaves the offense to a guy like Long we could see a nice improvement. There are wins on our schedule but we have to be in position to take them. And you don’t do that by burning timeouts early and not getting alignments right. I think we could be an improved overall team fairly easily but Collins has to change the way he does business. It sounds like maybe he will which is a good sign.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My impression was that Collins was a little tense. With all the joking the hosts were doing with him at the beginning I expected him to at least crack a smile. It felt like they did their best to loosen him up and get him to relax but he acted like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The only time he seemed the most comfortable was when he fell into some canned comments and familiar themes. His demeanor about the new coaches seemed tepid.

The overall sense I had was that Collins is aware he has lost the narrative. He is used to controlling the narrative and working his spiel but there was less of that. I guess it is harder to be bubble over with positivity and enthusiasm when you know your job is on the line. This did not seem like someone who has chosen to project a more serious demeanor to me. It felt like someone who didn’t have any leftover energy for pep talks because he was using all his energy to maintain.

Please, no one interpret this as Collins bashing. We all watched a video and were invited to share up what we saw. This is what I saw.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
My impression was that Collins was a little tense. With all the joking the hosts were doing with him at the beginning I expected him to at least crack a smile. It felt like they did their best to loosen him up and get him to relax but he acted like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The only time he seemed the most comfortable was when he fell into some canned comments and familiar themes. His demeanor about the new coaches seemed tepid.

The overall sense I had was that Collins is aware he has lost the narrative. He is used to controlling the narrative and working his spiel but there was less of that. I guess it is harder to be bubble over with positivity and enthusiasm when you know your job is on the line. This did not seem like someone who has chosen to project a more serious demeanor to me. It felt like someone who didn’t have any leftover energy for pep talks because he was using all his energy to maintain.

Please, no one interpret this as Collins bashing. We all watched a video and were invited to share up what we saw. This is what I saw.
Maybe a fire is lit and we will all be pleasantly surprised this next season. When your back is against a wall, your true nature shows up. Let's see what CGC is made of.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yes I know. But still….
I played on a basketball team with him at a local Y around 1973. He had been cut and was hoping to get picked up during the season. He was hoping Miami might pick him up. He and a couple of guys that had been cut by the Falcons were spending time at the Y working out and staying in shape in case they could get on a team during the season if someone got hurt. Lothridge was a regular guy. Never hinted he had been a great Tech QB and had been in the NFL. He wasn't nearly in as good shape as the other two guys. Enjoyed being around him and talking Tech football.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
For competent coaches... nobody cares about their demeanor, dress, booger picking... etc.

For incompetent coaches... all that stuff just reinforces the incompetence & a fan board is the epicenter of highlighting such.

Win... & all is forgiven. Lose & nothing is forgotten. We're firmly stuck in lose mode here.
Like Crash Davis once said, “Win 20 in the show and you can let the mold grow on your shower shoes. You’ll be considered quirky and fun. Until then you keep the mold off your shower shoes and look professional.”

You have to earn the “right” to be quirky in a media presence. Otherwise you just look like a goofball that doesn’t have a clue. Earlier in the tenure a lot more people (including me) were willing to stomach Collins’ goofiness because of the transition and pretty big success in the recruiting game. Now it’s time to put up or shut up, and he ain’t put nothing up yet.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The 21 season ended with BDS full of uga fans who played big money for tickets from so called gt football fans.
A sea of red was only possible because the fans felt they were justified in taking money from their arch rival .

In 19 - right after cpj retired alumni and fans of uga donated and purchased tickets that totaled $66,000,000 more than alumni and fans of gt.
As cpj said "it is what it is".
VT, UNC, NCST - are about $20,000,000 more and Clemson, FSU, u of L are about $45,000,000 more.

Blaming t stan collins for a money problem is misplaced.
We are cheap and a tough boss.

Will M benz be a sea of orange?

How the heck do u hire staff w such a small alumni

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m rooting for Collins because I still believe his vision is correct regarding what GT could be with the talent in the metro area and the rest of the state. But, he’s proven he doesn’t know how to do the coaching part. I’ve sat in the stands and just watched him. He really is lost on the sidelines. With that said if he leaves the offense to a guy like Long we could see a nice improvement. There are wins on our schedule but we have to be in position to take them. And you don’t do that by burning timeouts early and not getting alignments right. I think we could be an improved overall team fairly easily but Collins has to change the way he does business. It sounds like maybe he will which is a good sign.
He’d have to give up game management decisions as well. His mistakes from behind the sideline have cost us just as much as the players mistakes between the sidelines.(which are mostly due to poor coaching.)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The 21 season ended with BDS full of uga fans who played big money for tickets from so called gt football fans.
A sea of red was only possible because the fans felt they were justified in taking money from their arch rival .

In 19 - right after cpj retired alumni and fans of uga donated and purchased tickets that totaled $66,000,000 more than alumni and fans of gt.
As cpj said "it is what it is".
VT, UNC, NCST - are about $20,000,000 more and Clemson, FSU, u of L are about $45,000,000 more.

Blaming t stan collins for a money problem is misplaced.
We are cheap and a tough boss.

Will M benz be a sea of orange?

How the heck do u hire staff w such a small alumni
Take our small alumni and cut it at least in half so you are only counting the ones that give a hang about football. Remember our Institute demographics?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Take our small alumni and cut it at least in half so you are only counting the ones that give a hang about football. Remember our Institute demographics?
As much as we gripe at the gap to the factories, remember this ... despite it all, we are a Top 50 STEM school (in the world) which is still playing D1 football. That alone is impressive. While I think our future is more like the Milwaukee Brewers than the Yankees, I'm still proud of the Institute for remaining committed to big boy sports. The question isn't "how do we close the gap", the question is "how do we deal with the gap and that we don't have those resources?"

That's what we have to deal with.