Collins on Packer & Durham

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As a former pre-med, former ChE major, I understand.
Yeah, I really wanted my daughter to go to GT, but she would have been pre-Med and with GPA being 1/3 of your Med School application, GT (even today's GT vs the one I went to) isn't the most GPA friendly place to do undergrad.... So she went to Duke where she has a 3.9 and tells me how tough it is. Dad has to bite his tongue a lot....

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think GT alums and fans are ready for the Vandy model. I may be wrong, but there is still a strong sentiment for spending what we can to build up the program. Paul Johnson proved GT can win more than half our games with good coaching and the right athletes. So did Chan Gailey. It doesn't require a quirky offense.
But he (CPJ) did it in a way that acknowledged the asymmetric nature of CFB for us. With apologies to the dead horse, trying to beat the money teams in the same way is not a sustainable path to success... There's no path to having the resources to make this possible. Either be unique ins some way or be less than mediocre (and then hiring an unproven HC who is over is head only exacerbates the situation).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think GT alums and fans are ready for the Vandy model. I may be wrong, but there is still a strong sentiment for spending what we can to build up the program. Paul Johnson proved GT can win more than half our games with good coaching and the right athletes. So did Chan Gailey. It doesn't require a quirky offense.
Over the last 3 years, GT and Vandy have the same number of wins. Since 2002, Tech has a win rate of 55% compared to 35% for Vandy. With the constrained resources we have, I think we are a lot closer to that model than not.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah, I really wanted my daughter to go to GT, but she would have been pre-Med and with GPA being 1/3 of your Med School application, GT (even today's GT vs the one I went to) isn't the most GPA friendly place to do undergrad.... So she went to Duke where she has a 3.9 and tells me how tough it is. Dad has to bite his tongue a lot....
Wise advice for her. When I graduated I thought about law school (my grades were fine but certainly not what they could have been at another school). We actually got letters included with our transcripts the school sent out for applications saying essentially our approach drives grade deflation and that our students were typically up to 0.5 point lower GPA than we would be at other schools.

:unsure:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
St Patricks Day was the perfect time to do it. :ROFLMAO:

btw I don't really care one way or the other, but calling Thursday of 1st round of NCAA the "Perfect Time" to do it is just ridiculous eyewash. Cmon man. Quit BS'ing everyone. (I don't think knows how to not BS, unfortunately).
Thanks for letting us know your opinion of Collins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is he wrong? Feel free to offer a rebuttal if you agree that it actually was the perfect time for the Spring game and we were the only program smart enough to figure that out.
I see your point.
It's not the "perfect" time" for spring game.

Going head to head with the mass of teams has down sides for recruting .

Read rivals - discussion about the huge number of quality recruits at the game.
One Dt sounded like he was a Collins clone. This guy and others sounds like are confident w the new assistant coaches. Players said same thing in post game. So did rivals Kelly Q.
Positive sooner is a good thing - but not perfect.

Now our guys are doing continuous strength training longer than other teams before fall camp. Good but not perfect.

Coaches have seen our guys practice and play so now they prepare for portal back door negotiations. Good but not perfect

Now there is nothing to talk about till fall camp.

The one perfect thing about the earliest date.

So in 4 plus months we have a specific things to discuss.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see your point.
It's not the "perfect" time" for spring game.

Going head to head with the mass of teams has down sides for recruting .

Read rivals - discussion about the huge number of quality recruits at the game.
One Dt sounded like he was a Collins clone. This guy and others sounds like are confident w the new assistant coaches. Players said same thing in post game. So did rivals Kelly Q.
Positive sooner is a good thing - but not perfect.

Now our guys are doing continuous strength training longer than other teams before fall camp. Good but not perfect.

Coaches have seen our guys practice and play so now they prepare for portal back door negotiations. Good but not perfect

Now there is nothing to talk about till fall camp.

The one perfect thing about the earliest date.

So in 4 plus months we have a specific things to discuss.
There you go being all reasonable again 😊