Collins on Packer & Durham

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Then we should require that the restiction imposed by the BOR requiring Georgia Institute of Technology offer BS degrees only, be removed. It was a back door requirement added in the mid 1950s to end Tech's domination of uga on the football field. That was when opposing recruiters began carrying calculus books with them on visits.
I like that idea. I'd be all for it. Where's the petition to sign?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like that idea. I'd be all for it. Where's the petition to sign?
It's time to end the bs requirement. Do that and then ask if Tech can compete at the highest levels in football. Keep the programs because the State and the Country need people with those certifications. But stop forcing higher math and science where it is not required.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That wasn't the question.

It actually was the question.

Which of our Bachelor of Science degree offerings are not "Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math"?

To which I answered:

Business Administration and Management, which happens to be the main degree our student athletes pursue, is not a STEM degree.

Just because math is required for a degree doesn't make it a STEM degree.

Note: This is not to diminish the rigor of this degree, as it is a highly ranked course of study nationally, just pointing out that it is not a STEM degree.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Then we should require that the restiction imposed by the BOR requiring Georgia Institute of Technology offer BS degrees only, be removed. It was a back door requirement added in the mid 1950s to end Tech's domination of uga on the football field. That was when opposing recruiters began carrying calculus books with them on visits.
Particularly when UGA now has engineering degrees. How can 1 of the top 2 universities in the state have basically every major and the other be restricted to BS degrees? I think the minute you allowed UGA to have engineering, this restriction for GT should have been eliminated.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Particularly when UGA now has engineering degrees. How can 1 of the top 2 universities in the state have basically every major and the other be restricted to BS degrees? I think the minute you allowed UGA to have engineering, this restriction for GT should have been eliminated.
You've got the choir here. Ain't nobody on this forum going to complain about expanding our offerings. Georgia State started as Georgia Tech's business school (taught at night). We weren't allowed to have a business school, so they took it away from us and made it a stand-alone university. Southern Tech, now the engineering program at Kennesaw State, was once part of Georgia Tech. They wouldn't allow us to have a law school, we tried to develop a relationship with Crawford Long, Grady, and Piedmont Hospitals to start a med school and that got crushed. The BOR of the USG, generally run by non-Tech grads, and the State Legislature have been working together for 75 years to keep Georgia Tech from dominating this state.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
All STEM degrees are BS degrees. Not all BS degrees are STEM degrees. Both statements are true.
My undergrad degree is a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering. My masters is a MSEE. GT may have changed the EE degree since then to BSEE. I am pretty sure it is a STEM degree. Just being coy.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My undergrad degree is a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering. My masters is a MSEE. GT may have changed the EE degree since then to BSEE. I am pretty sure it is a STEM degree. Just being coy.
My undergraduate is Bachelor of Materials Engineering. My Masters is MS in Materials Science and Engineering. I don’t have a BS either. Our Marketing people are always trying to change that on my CV. I have to keep changing it back.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My undergraduate is Bachelor of Materials Engineering. My Masters is MS in Materials Science and Engineering. I don’t have a BS either. Our Marketing people are always trying to change that on my CV. I have to keep changing it back.
I know this isn’t comparable but I find it equally amusing. I had several PE credit hours in karate. I transferred to a another school that didn’t have karate and they changed it to softball.

JacketFan137

Banned
You've got the choir here. Ain't nobody on this forum going to complain about expanding our offerings. Georgia State started as Georgia Tech's business school (taught at night). We weren't allowed to have a business school, so they took it away from us and made it a stand-alone university. Southern Tech, now the engineering program at Kennesaw State, was once part of Georgia Tech. They wouldn't allow us to have a law school, we tried to develop a relationship with Crawford Long, Grady, and Piedmont Hospitals to start a med school and that got crushed. The BOR of the USG, generally run by non-Tech grads, and the State Legislature have been working together for 75 years to keep Georgia Tech from dominating this state.
lack of healthcare related majors kills me and was the reason i couldn’t attend tech. really would have been a great opportunity being in the heart of atlanta and easily having access to hospitals that take residents.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The E (bolded above) in stem is for Engineering. All engineering degrees are by their very definition STEM degrees. Not all BS degrees are STEM degrees though....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The E (bolded above) in stem is for Engineering. All engineering degrees are by their very definition STEM degrees. Not all BS degrees are STEM degrees though....
I didn't interpret his response as to saying not getting a BS degree insinuated it wasn't STEM. Just an interesting point because most everyone has been saying that all degrees from Tech were BS degrees.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
funny, happens to me constantly too. no matter how many times I tell the marketing people that I don't have a BS degree, they think I have that wrong. There are other folks in the company slightly younger than me, and they have BS degrees.

They are convinced that I misunderstand what's on my sheepskin.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure what you're really trying to argue here. To say we are limited because of our majors is a cop-out, in my opinion. Every school has things that they're negatively recruited with. We need to stop using it as a crutch for why we can't get the top recruits.

We have programs we can sell to kids. We have to control the narrative and battle the negative recruiting. If kids want to go play at going to college, they'll never last at Tech. That's important for EVERY recruit to understand upfront. If they want to be a serious student, they can make it through Tech.

Personally, I'd love to see us expand our degree options. I'd like to add a College of Education, a law school, a med school. There's no good reason we don't have those programs (there is a reason, but it's not a good one). At the very least, I'd like to see a Physical Education-related degree that focuses on areas like kinesiology, coaching, health education, athletic training, sports management. These could very easily fit within our charter from the USG.

We shouldn't let any of this be an "excuse" as to why we can't have nice things. I've heard too many former players state that Tech's limited curriculum and level of difficulty hinders Tech significantly is bunk. It does happen occasionally when some kid wants a specific degree program that we don't have, but it's rare enough as to not be relevant.
Winning consistently and sending players to the league would solve the issues- fans would come back and momentum would build. It’s a deeper hole to dig out of now than it was 10 years ago.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, in my opinion, this is a cop-out. We have majors that all our athletes can excel in. Coupled with the assistance provided, any student-athlete that was accepted and wanted to play at GT could make it through. Yes, our floor his higher than most other schools, but not that much higher.
I'm not sure I follow. It seems like you're saying that we recruit the players, then we pair them to a major. That might be true for some players, but I would guess most HS senior FB players have at least some idea of what they want to do with their education in college. Even if they have "expectations" of getting to the NFL and never using their degree, they likely still have some preference of what they want to study. That assumption eliminates all the recruits that have any inclination towards a major that we don't have, e.g., Criminal Justice, Communications, English, Psychology (I think), any major that's not STEM outside of our LMC degree. So there are some recruits that will never even look to come here. Aside from that, if they plan to take an "easy" major, why would they come to GT where the "easy" majors are harder than the "easy" majors are easier?

This is not a cop-out.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I follow. It seems like you're saying that we recruit the players, then we pair them to a major. That might be true for some players, but I would guess most HS senior FB players have at least some idea of what they want to do with their education in college. Even if they have "expectations" of getting to the NFL and never using their degree, they likely still have some preference of what they want to study. That assumption eliminates all the recruits that have any inclination towards a major that we don't have, e.g., Criminal Justice, Communications, English, Psychology (I think), any major that's not STEM outside of our LMC degree. So there are some recruits that will never even look to come here. Aside from that, if they plan to take an "easy" major, why would they come to GT where the "easy" majors are harder than the "easy" majors are easier?

This is not a cop-out.
I'm not sure I agree that most have at least some idea of what they want to do with their education. And that's not just about the athletes. My daughter is a senior in HS right now and while a good number of her classmates have at least some idea of what they want to do there's also a decent chunk of the ones she knows and talks about who have no idea at all what they want to study. So I think it's actually a mix of both where some are recruited and then we help pair them with majors and some already have an idea what major they want.

As an aside GT does have a Psychology major offering BS, MS, and PhD programs. Many of the programs we would think of as non-STEM that are offered at GT have 2 math courses (like Survey of Calculus and Finite Mathematics) and a bit of lab work and a wellness class (I guess that's the new version of "drown-proofing").