Collins on Packer & Durham

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. A coach can't just coach at Auburn. He has to coach and schmooze the egos of very rich, very powerful people who pretty much can do whatever they want almost without repercussion.

I may be crazy but it seems like there was a rumor linking Paul Johnson to the Auburn job a few years ago. While it would have been fun to see the outcome, CPJ doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to schmooze with boosters. I don't know many coaches who would. If I were a coach, the NFL would be my destination. I wouldn't like the recruiting nor the schmoozing that comes with most P5 college gigs. Or maybe a very low level of college football (D3 - teams like Berry College, Centre College, MIT, etc.) would be the way to go.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Congrats mods. This forum officially sucks. Every damn thing that gets posted now has the same 10-12 guys ruining every damn thread with the same stupid *** schtick. Way to go
LOL so now we are blaming mods? A sub set of people are upset their coach looks to be a dud, and can't handle the criticism/negative atmosphere... as a direct result of the product put together by said coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I may be crazy but it seems like there was a rumor linking Paul Johnson to the Auburn job a few years ago. While it would have been fun to see the outcome, CPJ doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to schmooze with boosters. I don't know many coaches who would. If I were a coach, the NFL would be my destination. I wouldn't like the recruiting nor the schmoozing that comes with most P5 college gigs. Or maybe a very low level of college football (D3 - teams like Berry College, Centre College, MIT, etc.) would be the way to go.
It wasn't a rumor. CPJ himself said he was offered the job but turned it down. He preferred the kids at Tech who are more like service academy kids than the typical university.

Someone like Bill Snyder to me, is the prototypical college coach. Good track record - some big years, some not so big - but part of the history of the school now. But you need a good coach at a school outside of the pressure cooker of the Top 30. Other than that .... yes ... head to the pros.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I never really liked, CGC
He saw greatness, we could not see
After every year our wins, max’d at 3
I never really liked, CGC
I also don't like him not because of what he wears but for 2 reasons, he does know how to be a head coach and he has only won 3 games each year. Sad part I love Tech and no matter what I will always. Don't get me stated on our AD.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It wasn't a rumor. CPJ himself said he was offered the job but turned it down. He preferred the kids at Tech who are more like service academy kids than the typical university.

Someone like Bill Snyder to me, is the prototypical college coach. Good track record - some big years, some not so big - but part of the history of the school now. But you need a good coach at a school outside of the pressure cooker of the Top 30. Other than that .... yes ... head to the pros.

Bill Snyder, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer - through some combination of luck , innovation and skill, these guys went into places that had been backwater posts in the football world and made them prominent nationally. It's telling that those schools typically regress to their mean (as has UM) without these coaches. It speaks to the importance of coaching...and how unscientific the hiring process is when looking for coaches at the P5 level. The guys who can do well at the non-factory schools are not a dime a dozen.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I also don't like him not because of what he wears but for 2 reasons, he does know how to be a head coach and he has only won 3 games each year. Sad part I love Tech and no matter what I will always. Don't get me stated on our AD.
My post was a weak attempt to leverage the Dr Fell comment. It just appeared to me there was a lack of creativity in this thread and thought maybe that post would get it going.

I don’t like thee, T Stan
He’s way too weak, not The Man
He had his big chance, to can THAT man
I don’t like thee, T Stan

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Good interview thanks for posting.
Liked the discussion on the schedule and opening up against Clemson. I think having Clemson to open up the season will help give a little more significance to the off-season workouts. Always liked big games to open season gives team a measuring stick right off the bat.
Collins seem pretty oddly quiet on Long, Weinke hire, I thought he would be more excited. May be intentional hold back.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good interview thanks for posting.
Liked the discussion on the schedule and opening up against Clemson. I think having Clemson to open up the season will help give a little more significance to the off-season workouts. Always liked big games to open season gives team a measuring stick right off the bat.
Collins seem pretty oddly quiet on Long, Weinke hire, I thought he would be more excited. May be intentional hold back.

You commented on the contents of the interview after actually listening to it??! That's pretty unusual around here. Most of us prefer to revert to our preconceived notions and dust off our standard talking points when discussing our "impressions" of the interview and just skip the whole 11 minutes. That's how busy and efficient most of us are around here. You are not doing this right I don't think. ;)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I never seen so many “men” concerned about what another man wear? Team apparel at that.

I agree the teeth gnashing over some text on a sweatshirt is just stupid. But if feels weird to try and take a dig at "men" who care about what another man wear when we have a "drip walk" before every game.

Clearly we have a decent number of those so called "men" in and running the program.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Geoff is a goofball. But he's a goofball at an elite level. And we should be thankful for that.

Word is Auburn is about to fire Bryan Harsin after one year. Why? He hasn't spoken to one player's parents since recruiting him. Hardly a reason not to pay him his $18.3M. AD Greene is not getting his contract renewed either.
Harsin has nothing to prove to fans or boosters. He came in as an established winning coach. It will not be a surprise to see Auburn fire yet another good coach, but I have to admit, I never saw the fit between he and AU.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Harsin has nothing to prove to fans or boosters. He came in as an established winning coach. It will not be a surprise to see Auburn fire yet another good coach, but I have to admit, I never saw the fit between he and AU.
It was an interesting situation. Big boosters engineered the firing of Gus Malzahn so their handpicked successor, Kevin Steele, would become head coach. The problem was, President Gouge (who was brought back from retirement and working as an interim prez), stepped in after Malzahn was out and said, "not so fast". He set up a search committee and that's how they ended up with Harsin. The goal was to castrate the boosters at their own game.

The problem is, the boosters have been working on Harsin's ouster from Day 1. If I was a coach, there is no way I would coach at Auburn. Way too many cooks in the kitchen and they all have more power than you.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was an interesting situation. Big boosters engineered the firing of Gus Malzahn so their handpicked successor, Kevin Steele, would become head coach. The problem was, President Gouge (who was brought back from retirement and working as an interim prez), stepped in after Malzahn was out and said, "not so fast". He set up a search committee and that's how they ended up with Harsin. The goal was to castrate the boosters at their own game.

The problem is, the boosters have been working on Harsin's ouster from Day 1. If I was a coach, there is no way I would coach at Auburn. Way too many cooks in the kitchen and they all have more power than you.
Yep, AllBarn big $$ boosters are run by a group of ethically challenged "good ol' boys" for sure. It is one of those jobs that anyone with a right mind and desire to succeed long term would stay away from. The only reason to go would be to get the big buy out and not care if you ever were a Head Coach again.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I agree the teeth gnashing over some text on a sweatshirt is just stupid. But if feels weird to try and take a dig at "men" who care about what another man wear when we have a "drip walk" before every game.

Clearly we have a decent number of those so called "men" in and running the program.

So we are equating making constant post about someone tapered jeans, hair, vest, etc to being the same as the team enter/exiting the stadium in their business attire?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You commented on the contents of the interview after actually listening to it??! That's pretty unusual around here. Most of us prefer to revert to our preconceived notions and dust off our standard talking points when discussing our "impressions" of the interview and just skip the whole 11 minutes. That's how busy and efficient most of us are around here. You are not doing this right I don't think. ;)
I listened. Same old same old.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that's really weird! I usually form my opinion based on the initial still image before any video starts playing. Makes for better message board discord that way