Collins on Packer & Durham

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why you care. No one that is not looking to blast him is going to look at the GC5 and care what it means. I just don't get why people think that is important.
But why do you care so much that he cares so much?

Round and round and round and round and round and round until the wins (hopefully) start coming.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I honestly couldn't care less what he wears (or how annoying he is) just need him to start winning.

With all the coaches leaving recently, things look not too great, but it's also never as good or bad as it seems.

OC looks to have some potential. Hopefully things get cleaned up in the secondary with one coach. Our two guys have been showing out in the senior bowls as linebackers/secondary, so I'm hopeful that things will get cleaned up and alot of our issues there were mainly communication.

Either way, next year is do or die for GC5 (or CGC or whatever he wants to be called). I will be flying my GT flag either way.

Deleted member 4873

The positivity on this board is inspirational. If the players are as positive as our fans we will be undefeated.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is a goofball. But he's a goofball at an elite level. And we should be thankful for that.

Word is Auburn is about to fire Bryan Harsin after one year. Why? He hasn't spoken to one player's parents since recruiting him. Hardly a reason not to pay him his $18.3M. AD Greene is not getting his contract renewed either.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is a goofball. But he's a goofball at an elite level. And we should be thankful for that.

Word is Auburn is about to fire Bryan Harsin after one year. Why? He hasn't spoken to one player's parents since recruiting him. Hardly a reason not to pay him his $18.3M. AD Greene is not getting his contract renewed either.
Shades of BL.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

You are obviously close to the situation there. If this is true (and I will assume that it is) would you consider the Auburn athletic department to be more poorly managed than our own? From the outside looking in, that place appears to be a dumpster fire that is run by the boosters. I know a lot of alums and they have a great sense of pride in their school but it certainly looks like a bad place to work if you are a coach or AD.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Listening to Collins is like eating shad, you try to savor what meat you can find while spitting out the bones.

The following explanation for some people’s discontent is not Collin’s bashing but rather my attempt to understand a dynamic at work among our fans. Collins has not shown clear professional competence yet. This is especially evident in his in-game coaching decisions, the seeming inability to coach players up and his often tone deaf remarks after devastating losses. People are searching for evidence that he might grow into his job. His frequent unprofessional dress is confirmation bias for too many at this point.

Most would agree that he is a good salesman for the program, understands social media, branding, and how to connect with 18 year olds. What causes conflict on this site, to me, is the argument about whether or not what goes with that
(1 meaningful win last season) is a bug or a feature. Everyone is looking for clues to answer this so even clothing becomes a big deal.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You are obviously close to the situation there. If this is true (and I will assume that it is) would you consider the Auburn athletic department to be more poorly managed than our own? From the outside looking in, that place appears to be a dumpster fire that is run by the boosters. I know a lot of alums and they have a great sense of pride in their school but it certainly looks like a bad place to work if you are a coach or AD.
It's very different than Tech.

The athletic department itself is very well run and very professional. The facilities are first class and there is no shortage of resources or money for that matter.

The downside is that it is almost entirely run by big billionaire boosters (Jimmy Raines especially, Mr Yellawood) and decisions are made ABOVE the level of the AD. Often, the university president and board of trustees take part in football decisions. A coach can't just coach at Auburn. He has to coach and schmooze the egos of very rich, very powerful people who pretty much can do whatever they want almost without repercussion. For example, Raines decided Auburn needed a 5 star hotel and culinary school. Cost? $110 million. Wrote a check for it. AU is NOT going to not consider what he thinks. The only reason Harsin got hired in the first place is that the current (now outgoing) president was interim and was somewhat immune to the politics.

But Auburn is well-known for boosters operating behind the backs of the coaches and pulling strings. Much like Tennessee but 10X worse.

Alabama was the same way until Saban laid down the law and said "Boosters, out". I don't see Auburn getting back to an elite level of football until they do that and ... I don't see them doing that.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
People are searching for evidence that he might grow into his job. His frequent unprofessional dress is confirmation bias for too many at this point.
Should he be in a 3 piece suit with spats covering his shoes? Have you seen what football coaches, NCAA & NFL, are wearing these days? I'm sure you're all about how Tom Landry dressed but since early 2000s its been hoodies, long-sleeved tshirts & athletic style polls.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Hasn’t spoken to parents? That’s awful!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is looking for clues to answer this so even clothing becomes a big deal.
What's the old adage? Dress poorly, notice the clothes. Dress well, notice the person?

When I was a kid, I would hear some of the older locals refer to acquaintances, often adding a punchline. "Poor Mrs Johnson. She's 68 and still shops in the Junior Department. It's just inappropriate. She's trying to look young instead of elegant. It's sad. She's a caricature of what she should be."

I see that all the time. Older women still shopping in the Junior Department. I don't want to see any 68 year old's midriff.

Geoff is like that. He's trying to rock a bikini. Just dress like a coach.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It's very different than Tech.

The athletic department itself is very well run and very professional. The facilities are first class and there is no shortage of resources or money for that matter.

The downside is that it is almost entirely run by big billionaire boosters (Jimmy Raines especially, Mr Yellawood) and decisions are made ABOVE the level of the AD. Often, the university president and board of trustees take part in football decisions. A coach can't just coach at Auburn. He has to coach and schmooze the egos of very rich, very powerful people who pretty much can do whatever they want almost without repercussion. For example, Raines decided Auburn needed a 5 star hotel and culinary school. Cost? $110 million. Wrote a check for it. AU is NOT going to not consider what he thinks. The only reason Harsin got hired in the first place is that the current (now outgoing) president was interim and was somewhat immune to the politics.

But Auburn is well-known for boosters operating behind the backs of the coaches and pulling strings. Much like Tennessee but 10X worse.

Alabama was the same way until Saban laid down the law and said "Boosters, out". I don't see Auburn getting back to an elite level of football until they do that and ... I don't see them doing that.
Moore still involved?