Collins on Packer and Durham this morning...

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not an all or nothing deal. Of course coaching matters. But if you’re weighing recruiting and coaching, I’d put recruiting 60-65% and coaching 35-40%.
Sounds like a 6-4 team. We have never beaten ugag since '74 & '90 with superior talent, but we have a number of times with better coaching. Obviously we need both, but unless the coaching is more than solid, which should translate into an 8-9 win in 2021, the impressive improvement in recruiting will drop off a great deal. Marketing can definitely move a new product, but said product has to be legit, and in the CFB world...... sooner vs later (even considering a greatest turnaround in history).

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like a 6-4 team. We have never beaten ugag since '74 & '90 with superior talent, but we have a number of times with better coaching. Obviously we need both, but unless the coaching is more than solid, which should translate into an 8-9 win in 2021, the impressive improvement in recruiting will drop off a great deal. Marketing can definitely move a new product, but said product has to be legit, and in the CFB world...... sooner vs later (even considering a greatest turnaround in history).
I don’t think this is true. What CGC is selling isn’t necessarily more wins. He’s selling a good time, a good culture, good education, and preparing you for a shot in the NFL. I think we could go 6-6 for all 7 years of his contract and he will continue to get those high end players and keep us top 20-25 in recruiting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this is true. What CGC is selling isn’t necessarily more wins. He’s selling a good time, a good culture, good education, and preparing you for a shot in the NFL. I think we could go 6-6 for all 7 years of his contract and he will continue to get those high end players and keep us top 20-25 in recruiting.
I think this is a good assessment of what CGC is trying to do. Also, I think people try to tie future recruiting into present results. I mean places like Tennessee, Miami, UCLA, FSU, Texas A&M, Texas, etc. always find themselves in or near the top 25 in recruiting regardless of how well they played the previous season. If Collins and Co. stay true to their culture, and the team continues to stay bought in, it’s not unreasonable to think GT will stay close to the top 25 regardless of records. Of course kids want to go play where they will win, but that’s just one aspect of a laundry list of factors in recruiting. But if GT continues to recruit well, and players stay bought in, those 6-6 seasons will turn into 9-3 or 10-2 real fast.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree to most of this, but not the 6-6 part. I think he needs to average 8-10 wins to accumulate enough talent to achieve what he wants, which is to be in the discussion for a playoff.

White_Gold

GT Athlete

I don't buy this at all. We aren't guaranteeing wins in the sell, but I can guarantee you that we are selling the chance to compete for a spot in the CFP. That vibes with the not necessarily part of your post. The coaching staff now is more competitive than the last, by far.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You don’t think he does? Do you think it’s more impactful to talk to recruits and HS coaches about football one on one or during a press conference or tv show on ACC network?

Honestly, how often did our last guy go into details on scheme other than to say “they ran what we thought they were going to run, we just didn’t execute.” He would say things like we meed to play more aggressive, but I don’t remember him going into much detail on scheme. He kept it pretty close to the vest. Saban does the same thing. So does Belicheck and many others.

Is the fact that he’s positive and optimistic what bothers you? Would you prefer him to be a curmudgeon? Would that make his lack of detail on scheme more palatable? That seems to be the case for most of the Collins haters. “He’s just too optimistic!” Except they/y’all use the term “used car salesmen.”
Nope. I love his energy and positivity. I just want to hear a little more football from him. I’m not looking for him to recite the playbook, but when he is asked what we did well from an X’s and O’s Perspective that we can build on, an answer better than we competed hard would be nice. This was an hour interview and he said Waffle House more than all of our players names combined.

I have no reservations about his ability to market and recruit. I do have worries about the staffs ability to coach on Gameday after last season. Giving some insight into things we improved on, things we still need to improve on, and how some of the new guys might be able to help would be pretty interesting to hear. If you are asked about Masons improvement, tell something about it. Don’t tell us about how he parked in your parking spot once.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CGC has consistently said when he was here in his previous two stops, GT was a top 10 program and he wanted to return us there. In fact, it's in the Packer and Durham video if you care to find it.

In a round about way, he's saying he wants GT to finish in the top 10 in his tenure. Personally, recruiting wins and getting high ranked recruiting classes are nice, but at the end of the day it's about wins. We can have great social media campaigns, and we get great signing classes, but if CGC doesn't get us ACC Championships and major bowl games, then those things mean nothing to me.

Just win, baby!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Nope. I love his energy and positivity. I just want to hear a little more football from him. I’m not looking for him to recite the playbook, but when he is asked what we did well from an X’s and O’s Perspective that we can build on, an answer better than we competed hard would be nice. This was an hour interview and he said Waffle House more than all of our players names combined.

I have no reservations about his ability to market and recruit. I do have worries about the staffs ability to coach on Gameday after last season. Giving some insight into things we improved on, things we still need to improve on, and how some of the new guys might be able to help would be pretty interesting to hear. If you are asked about Masons improvement, tell something about it. Don’t tell us about how he parked in your parking spot once.
Others have already said this but why the hell would he give anyone better insight into the program on that show? He gave JP props and said he was underrated he talked about our improvement but the ma8n point is attitude and character of the team. That’s really all we have right now until we turn over the roster.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The reality of a bottom line biz, which CFB certainly is in terms of wins, tells ya that there will be no years 6 & 7 at 6-6.

slugboy

Staff member
Winning is important, but the fans also need to have fun at the game. There are teams with winning records without full stands.
This doesn’t mean I want a lot of forced cheers led from the matrix board—that’s the opposite of fun for a crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The reality of a bottom line biz, which CFB certainly is in terms of wins, tells ya that there will be no years 6 & 7 at 6-6.

If we go 6-6 for the next 4 years, and each year we recruit in the top 25, I wouldn't be shocked if CGC gets his initial 7 years. I don't think some of you realize how long it's been since we recruited consistently in the top tier of the nation. Us message board heroes might not be happy, but our donors have proven to be more patient.

Caveat: CGC will have to beat uga once or twice for this scenario to hold true.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Winning is important, but the fans also need to have fun at the game. There are teams with winning records without full stands.
This doesn’t mean I want a lot of forced cheers led from the matrix board—that’s the opposite of fun for a crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy fix...

9c43d5e83fcdc06a46140049bf18216a_w200.gif

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
A thought on the argument in this thread. I think Collins, in general, is not a guy who likes to get into X's and O's with the media. And that is very likely a conscious choice on his part. Perception in the media, branding, etc. is clearly something he clearly thinks about a lot.

Some folks on here don't like that because they want to hear what he's thinking strategically. I sympathize, because I would love to hear more too. But ultimately, as fans, we're not owed an explanation of X's and O's from the coach. Just have to accept it and be grateful for whatever nuggets we do occasionally get.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If we go 6-6 for the next 4 years, and each year we recruit in the top 25, I wouldn't be shocked if CGC gets his initial 7 years. I don't think some of you realize how long it's been since we recruited consistently in the top tier of the nation. Us message board heroes might not be happy, but our donors have proven to be more patient.

Caveat: CGC will have to beat uga once or twice for this scenario to hold true.

We really need to get to the point where we can threaten Clemson and UGA, winning at least 1/2 every couple of years to have arrived nationally. Who knows if they'll be able to sustain their current positions over the next 6 years, but if they don't fall or we don't climb it will be hard to be a consistent top-15 caliber team with those to Ls on the schedule every year.

Otherwise, the roster is more than just recruiting. You gotta be able to hold on to and develop the recruits you have. Getting a roster that is stuffed with contributors or guys on a path to contribute with depth at all positions is key. Then a star player or 2 can take it to the next level. Some teams can only get there when the roster aligns with the right experience, luck, and health but don't sustain for long as natural attrition starts to take over. The factory elites can reload, but we've seen some programs who aren't able to manage the roster well, stay consistent with scheme, develop players over time, and handle attrition very badly end up far underperforming what you would expect from the recruiting ranking. Tennessee and Miami come to mind immediately. We'll see how far CGC can take things. Personally I see him killing it in terms of the transfer market, remaking the roster to the right depth and experience mix when looking 2 years ahead, player physical development, player engagement, and opportunity to get as many snaps in practice or in games as possible to develop. I like that we didn't panic having poor results in changing scheme, technique, or coordinators. I'm not sold that they are best, but trying to change our technique and rebuild coaching relationships would be a step backwards at this point. Rarely do bad teams get significantly better with those moves. An established factory with an underperforming unit and healthy roster? May be a different story.

Unfortunately, we're going to get hit with enough personnel losses next year it may be that year 3 looks kind of stale. I don't know if the team will be able to congeal enough to look good next year especially with a very difficult schedule ahead, but I think that we will be miles ahead of last year even if the record looks mediocre. Year 4 is when I would expect to start seeing that upward trajectory taking full hold. I think CGC will be given plenty of rope, though some fans certainly may start to polarize. Unless morale crumbles on the team, winning will be the easy fix.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
A thought on the argument in this thread. I think Collins, in general, is not a guy who likes to get into X's and O's with the media. And that is very likely a conscious choice on his part. Perception in the media, branding, etc. is clearly something he clearly thinks about a lot.

Some folks on here don't like that because they want to hear what he's thinking strategically. I sympathize, because I would love to hear more too. But ultimately, as fans, we're not owed an explanation of X's and O's from the coach. Just have to accept it and be grateful for whatever nuggets we do occasionally get.

I think you're on target, here. I believe it's not so much that he doesn't like to get into X's and O's but rather that every second in front of the camera is an opportunity for him to be selling the program to recruits and the people who influence them. And it is, as you said, a conscious choice on his part.