Collins on Packer and Durham this morning...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Recognize we are not the target for Collins and this show appearance. Can't look at it through that lens. And he for sure isn't. That was all and only about generating a buzz with potential recruits and coaches. With a corollary target of the broader ACC media. That is why the 4 different outfits and the discussion of uniforms and Addidas. Plus the energy and continued focus that GT is now a different place. It ain't for us

He has 2 to 3 years to sell culture, energy, vibe etc before the wins and losses take over. I personally think he is doing an amazing job both overall and with this appearance. Recruiting ticked up. There will be time and other GT centric venues to go all engineer specific on aspects of the program. This wasn't it

I think there is some truth to this statement, but the problem is it's the same thing that keeps being said about everything.

Don't like money down? You weren't the audience.
Don't like the Juice Crew? You weren't the audience.
Don't like this interview? You weren't the audience.
Don't like that statement? You weren't the audience.

There have been more instances of fan complaints where this answer has popped up as well. While I agree with it generally, and understand he is trying to broaden the reach of GT, he also needs to try and reach the fans already here once in a while as well. If he doesn't, he will end up alienating a large portion of our fanbase.

As for this interview, I had no particular quibble with the "Standard Coach Speak" during an off season. Just glad he's getting us some good press.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
College football is all about players. Coaching and schemes play a role of course, but Saban is Saban because he has better players at Alabama than he did at Mich St. Dabo gets better players now than he inherited and boom he wins. Spurrier was all world at Florida because he had better players than his competition. For the Redskins he ran the same scheme, was the same coach, and he didn’t win because his players weren’t better than the competition.

Collins is a GT guy and realizes the only way to win is to get better players than your competition. His mindset is dead accurate. We could have hired a mercenary like the state of Mississippi did with Kiffin and Leach, but those fan bases know those coaches are there for the paycheck. Collins is at GT for love and while it may take time, his plan of action will get GT back into the top 20 annually. Then it’s a matter of turnovers and special players.

Under this theory, Auburn beat Alabama because they had better players.

Coaching matters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stuff like, "You know, we struggled mightily on offense at times. We looked at the tape and realized we needed to reduce the number of 3-and-outs. We can do that by getting bigger in the trenches to jump start our running game. We've done that through recruiting and will continue to do that. We need to be more innovative in our passing concepts and Coach P. will be travelling to Norman and Oxford to talk to some of the best minds in football. That alone should translate into a few more wins."

I don't mind bantering about Waffle House, Adidas, etc., but at some point you'd like to be able to talk football. Look, CGC knows football. It'd be great to hear him say things like, "We had originally planed for Big Brandon to play the shade in our 4-3, tragically that didn't happen. We had to rotate a bunch of guys and shift around to play a smaller set of guys in an odd front instead of what we typically run."

That's my take.

As @Vespidae said, if you're responsible for results, you really need to talk about them.

edit: to be fair, if the purpose of the interview was just a "hang out and chat" then I totally get not talking football in-depth.
My goodness - uts recruiting season. please wait for spring game to worry about failure to address winning.

The interviewer said -" we know u have not had time to get in and do a detail break down of the games and what went wrong, but what are some of the things u saw last year....."

If u give 1000 a year u get to go to Hiesmen Tuesday. There u here more specifics. A guy i know gives fsu 1000000. He gets to talk to coach right after every game. I think one or 2 of u retired well enough to get into a place to find out .

cgc said that the top 10 ten recruiting teams are generally the top 10 ranked teams and the wants to get us there.

our recruiting ranking gone up due to - cgc. he said they would go up and they have.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My goodness - uts recruiting season. please wait for spring game to worry about failure to address winning.

The interviewer said -" we know u have not had time to get in and do a detail break down of the games and what went wrong, but what are some of the things u saw last year....."

If u give 1000 a year u get to go to Hiesmen Tuesday. There u here more specifics. A guy i know gives fsu 1000000. He gets to talk to coach right after every game. I think one or 2 of u retired well enough to get into a place to find out .

cgc said that the top 10 ten recruiting teams are generally the top 10 ranked teams and the wants to get us there.

our recruiting ranking gone up due to - cgc. he said they would go up and they have.

Everything you say is true. Still, I learned more the TO from Ken N than I did from CPJ. What a missed opportunity...

I recently heard a former Natty winner talk about their approach to the game. Good stuff for fans. And it does make for better fans when you get what the coach is trying to get the team to do.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Under this theory, Auburn beat Alabama because they had better players.

Coaching matters.

Did you forget the part where Alabama’s starting QB was injured? And did you not read where I stated once inside the top 20 it comes down to turnovers and special players making plays. Auburn is a talented team and they made more impactful plays than Bama. Right now, Collins is trying to find players to give us a chance.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If better players on paper is all that matters in wins and losses then how is he going to succeed when his improved recruiting classes are still behind 5-6 teams on our yearly schedule?

He won’t. But he’s had 1 class. And I have no visions we’ll start out recruiting factories when we don’t have fake majors, but after a few more cycles we won’t be behind 5-6 teams on our schedule. Probably 3-4. All I care about is getting into the top 25 consistently then anything can happen with a bounce of the ball and a few magical players.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did you forget the part where Alabama’s starting QB was injured? And did you not read where I stated once inside the top 20 it comes down to turnovers and special players making plays. Auburn is a talented team and they made more impactful plays than Bama. Right now, Collins is trying to find players to give us a chance.

Of course, we also beat Miami this year, who typically recruits in the top 15...

...and let's not talk about who we lost to...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Look, I’m all for Geoff. I want to win too. But while players matter, so does coaching.

I’m of the Bear Bryant school. He states clearly, it is NOT about making plays. It’s about putting your team in place to make fewer mistakes.

Semantics. I know.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Everything you say is true. Still, I learned more the TO from Ken N than I did from CPJ. What a missed opportunity...

I recently heard a former Natty winner talk about their approach to the game. Good stuff for fans. And it does make for better fans when you get what the coach is trying to get the team to do.

Are we going to win a natty in our life time? When u are on top every one wants to hear your blabbing. Who the heck wants to here about what cgc and pnut think in first year of the transition. Cgc wants people to care about what he says ( unlike previous gt coaches) . If Gt gets EMBARRASSED in Oct 20 , we will have a new OC for ND and UGA AND RECRUITING 21 DATE. During 20 there will be all kinds of blabbing about scheme, plays, etc

What ever it takes to get a 21 recruiting class in the teens.

We are building a system that attracts talent.

I am very pleased he and PNut gave each of the 3 qbs their shot in 19.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Look, I’m all for Geoff. I want to win too. But while players matter, so does coaching.

I’m of the Bear Bryant school. He states clearly, it is NOT about making plays. It’s about putting your team in place to make fewer mistakes.

Semantics. I know.

It’s not an all or nothing deal. Of course coaching matters. But if you’re weighing recruiting and coaching, I’d put recruiting 60-65% and coaching 35-40%.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Are we going to win a natty in our life time? When u are on top every one wants to hear your blabbing. Who the heck wants to here about what cgc and pnut think in first year of the transition. Cgc wants people to care about what he says ( unlike previous gt coaches) . If Gt gets EMBARRASSED in Oct 20 , we will have a new OC for ND and UGA AND RECRUITING 21 DATE. During 20 there will be all kinds of blabbing about scheme, plays, etc

What ever it takes to get a 21 recruiting class in the teens.

We are building a system that attracts talent.

I am very pleased he and PNut gave each of the 3 qbs their shot in 19.

I don’t disagree. I enjoy the game more when I understand what the coaching philosophy is. That’s all.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It better never be about talent alone, if GT plans to win BIG time. It will have to be about the talent level being decent and great coaching. I believe CGC will improve (already has) our future talent level, but the jury is out to whether he is Matt Rhule good at coaching, which is what it will take.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any chance that recruits and high school coaches wouldn’t mind hearing him talk about football every once in a while? I’m not really sure why he can’t do that and still be high energy.

You don’t think he does? Do you think it’s more impactful to talk to recruits and HS coaches about football one on one or during a press conference or tv show on ACC network?

Honestly, how often did our last guy go into details on scheme other than to say “they ran what we thought they were going to run, we just didn’t execute.” He would say things like we meed to play more aggressive, but I don’t remember him going into much detail on scheme. He kept it pretty close to the vest. Saban does the same thing. So does Belicheck and many others.

Is the fact that he’s positive and optimistic what bothers you? Would you prefer him to be a curmudgeon? Would that make his lack of detail on scheme more palatable? That seems to be the case for most of the Collins haters. “He’s just too optimistic!” Except they/y’all use the term “used car salesmen.”