Collins on Packer and Durham this morning...

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CT.

Thanks for these clips. I have Comcast and am very displeased.
Coach Collins is sharp for what he says and for what he does not say. He stays on track.

Collins, "Tstan came to me early and asked if I would like to play one game in Mercedes Benz stadium? No . . . . I would like to play five."
Thinking out of the box and it happened. Collins goes on to say why Mercedes is a good thing. He gave several exceptional reasons.

I like the man. Hey and our uniforms look great!! :)
You're welcome @VintageWreck h/t to @TooTall to encourage me to look for them.
I have to say, if you haven't, you should watch/listen. CGC is doing all he can. I disagree on some things, but highlighting Atlanta is a fantastic move. It really got me more excited watching/listening to him there than most anything else he's done. Really good job by CGC.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Stuff like, "You know, we struggled mightily on offense at times. We looked at the tape and realized we needed to reduce the number of 3-and-outs. We can do that by getting bigger in the trenches to jump start our running game. We've done that through recruiting and will continue to do that. We need to be more innovative in our passing concepts and Coach P. will be travelling to Norman and Oxford to talk to some of the best minds in football. That alone should translate into a few more wins."

I don't mind bantering about Waffle House, Adidas, etc., but at some point you'd like to be able to talk football. Look, CGC knows football. It'd be great to hear him say things like, "We had originally planed for Big Brandon to play the shade in our 4-3, tragically that didn't happen. We had to rotate a bunch of guys and shift around to play a smaller set of guys in an odd front instead of what we typically run."

That's my take.

As @Vespidae said, if you're responsible for results, you really need to talk about them.

edit: to be fair, if the purpose of the interview was just a "hang out and chat" then I totally get not talking football in-depth.

One thing you have to remember is this is an ACC network show, not a sit down with Andy Demetra for a specifically GT show. If he went in depth about specific players , etc., the casual ACC fans are going to tune out because they have no clue what he is talking about. The point of even being on a show like this is marketing the program, not digging deep into specifics.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
One thing you have to remember is this is an ACC network show, not a sit down with Andy Demetra for a specifically GT show. If he went in depth about specific players , etc., the casual ACC fans are going to tune out because they have no clue what he is talking about. The point of even being on a show like this is marketing the program, not digging deep into specifics.
He didn’t go into specifics at all. I don’t need a deep dive but at least say something about football. He was asked, from an X’s and O’s perspective what is a positive from last season that you can build on and he responded that we competed hard. He was asked what are our goals going into spring are and he talked about working out in February. I think some of us would just like some nugget of football wisdom from him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t go into specifics at all. I don’t need a deep dive but at least say something about football. He was asked, from an X’s and O’s perspective what is a positive from last season that you can build on and he responded that we competed hard. He was asked what are our goals going into spring are and he talked about working out in February. I think some of us would just like some nugget of football wisdom from him.

That is fair enough, but honestly, what else would you build on from last year besides that they played hard? As for mentioning workouts as a goal for the spring, well, yeah. The single biggest thing we can do to win more games is get bigger and stronger. Scheme wise, there really is no reason to tip his hand at this point and frankly, that's just not who he is. This program is about recruiting and developing talent now, not out-scheming.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That is fair enough, but honestly, what else would you build on from last year besides that they played hard? As for mentioning workouts as a goal for the spring, well, yeah. The single biggest thing we can do to win more games is get bigger and stronger. Scheme wise, there really is no reason to tip his hand at this point and frankly, that's just not who he is. This program is about recruiting and developing talent now, not out-scheming.
I’ve seen plenty of people on here talk about the improvement of the offensive line. The two best games we had offensively were two of the last 4 games. There should be something worth mentioning. Maybe we improved our technique, or missed less assignments. Maybe Graham improved considerably in aspects we aren’t really recognizing. It would be nice to hear from a coaches perspective what is getting better and will likely improve even more going forward. He could say positive things about our progression without tipping his hand at all.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen plenty of people on here talk about the improvement of the offensive line. The two best games we had offensively were two of the last 4 games. There should be something worth mentioning. Maybe we improved our technique, or missed less assignments. Maybe Graham improved considerably in aspects we aren’t really recognizing. It would be nice to hear from a coaches perspective what is getting better and will likely improve even more going forward. He could say positive things about our progression without tipping his hand at all.

I see what you're saying. I hope and think we will hear more of that going forward.

CousCous

Georgia Tech Fan
Two things really stood out to me in these clips:

1. CGC loves Tech. He is a salesman no doubt. Still when he talks about Tech, it goes beyond just plugging his current employer. I appreciate this about him, and think this might have been the most important qualification in a successor to CPJ.

2. He makes some great statements about having substance to everything they do and that being more important than branding, marketing, and even uniforms (GASP). I am paraphrasing, but essentially he said the message dose not drive our identity, but rather our identity drives the message. This little “look under the hood” was nice to see.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as we all want to know the specifics on players, development, and schemes (myself included), CGC has no obligation to tell us anything. He is a marketing guru and is very specific about everything he says and how the message is conveyed to pull in recruits and fans. If you are talking to perspective clients in business, would you rather say "well last year we really struggled to get things going and are working on A and B to get better" or something like "our guys always give everything they have and we are always doing everything we can to improve"?

You better believe that behind closed doors the coaches are talking about every detail of the X's and O's to each other and to the players. I would also bet they discuss the schemes to recruits to let them know how they would fit within the program. But to the press they are only going to give the bare minimum of details cause there is no benefit to discussing it in that setting.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good points @Jacket05 . I would add that since we are fans who follow him a lot, we keep hearing him repeat his message over and over. Some people might think he doesn’t talk about anything else, but you have to remember the people he is trying to reach only see him one out of a 100 times speaking. So he has to keep repeating and saying his message as much as possible to reach them. This is similar to why you don’t see a commercial just once, they try to plaster it as much as possible, so that the message reaches that one time someone is paying attention. This also plays into that one time they do listen, you don’t want to focus on what you are deficient at. Just because he doesn’t dwell on the negative doesn’t mean he isn’t paying attention or know what is going on.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Recognize we are not the target for Collins and this show appearance. Can't look at it through that lens. And he for sure isn't. That was all and only about generating a buzz with potential recruits and coaches. With a corollary target of the broader ACC media. That is why the 4 different outfits and the discussion of uniforms and Addidas. Plus the energy and continued focus that GT is now a different place. It ain't for us

He has 2 to 3 years to sell culture, energy, vibe etc before the wins and losses take over. I personally think he is doing an amazing job both overall and with this appearance. Recruiting ticked up. There will be time and other GT centric venues to go all engineer specific on aspects of the program. This wasn't it

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
College football is all about players. Coaching and schemes play a role of course, but Saban is Saban because he has better players at Alabama than he did at Mich St. Dabo gets better players now than he inherited and boom he wins. Spurrier was all world at Florida because he had better players than his competition. For the Redskins he ran the same scheme, was the same coach, and he didn’t win because his players weren’t better than the competition.

Collins is a GT guy and realizes the only way to win is to get better players than your competition. His mindset is dead accurate. We could have hired a mercenary like the state of Mississippi did with Kiffin and Leach, but those fan bases know those coaches are there for the paycheck. Collins is at GT for love and while it may take time, his plan of action will get GT back into the top 20 annually. Then it’s a matter of turnovers and special players.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Recognize we are not the target for Collins and this show appearance. Can't look at it through that lens. And he for sure isn't. That was all and only about generating a buzz with potential recruits and coaches. With a corollary target of the broader ACC media. That is why the 4 different outfits and the discussion of uniforms and Addidas. Plus the energy and continued focus that GT is now a different place. It ain't for us

He has 2 to 3 years to sell culture, energy, vibe etc before the wins and losses take over. I personally think he is doing an amazing job both overall and with this appearance. Recruiting ticked up. There will be time and other GT centric venues to go all engineer specific on aspects of the program. This wasn't it
Is there any chance that recruits and high school coaches wouldn’t mind hearing him talk about football every once in a while? I’m not really sure why he can’t do that and still be high energy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
College football is all about players. Coaching and schemes play a role of course, but Saban is Saban because he has better players at Alabama than he did at Mich St. Dabo gets better players now than he inherited and boom he wins. Spurrier was all world at Florida because he had better players than his competition. For the Redskins he ran the same scheme, was the same coach, and he didn’t win because his players weren’t better than the competition.

Collins is a GT guy and realizes the only way to win is to get better players than your competition. His mindset is dead accurate. We could have hired a mercenary like the state of Mississippi did with Kiffin and Leach, but those fan bases know those coaches are there for the paycheck. Collins is at GT for love and while it may take time, his plan of action will get GT back into the top 20 annually. Then it’s a matter of turnovers and special players.
If better players on paper is all that matters in wins and losses then how is he going to succeed when his improved recruiting classes are still behind 5-6 teams on our yearly schedule?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance that recruits and high school coaches wouldn’t mind hearing him talk about football every once in a while? I’m not really sure why he can’t do that and still be high energy.

Not the right venue. Packer's eyes will glaze over if he talks XandO's and Wes will change the topic. Not what they are about. And he will have plenty of time to talk to recruits about XandOs once he can engage them and get them in the process. Having said that he did convey several key "football" messages during his time there - 1) We need players 2) We are not the TO offense you pegged GT as previously (right or wrong on TO) and 3) we have a really fun, high energy, whatever word you want to insert culture we are building that you ought to look at.

All he can and should try to do in that venue