Collins on Packer and Durham this morning...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
was on for an entire hour. Typical high energy talk and some good info. A lot of good stories and talk about growing up in Atlanta, wanting to be here, having a vision for what we can be, etc.

The funniest thing was that he changed his hat/shirt combo during every commercial break. Literally wore like 5 different combos. Hilarious.

Wes and Mark were commenting on it and laughing about it the whole hour.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Talked about Mason a little bit, but was more "big picture" in most of his discussions. Talked at lot about marketing, 404, Waffle House, Adidas, transformation, Morpheus, sending texts to coaches at 3 AM, etc.

Said his biggest influence was O'Leary who promoted his from a defensive GA to a full time tight ends coach.

Gave Packer and Wes a ton of swag, a white helmet, t shirts, and he brought them Bojangles biscuits. At one point, the screen showed the question "Is GT the coolest team in the ACC?"

Also discussed mental health issues, talked about Brandon Adams, but not Bryce Gowdy directly. Apparently, GT is on the forefront of the conversation of mental health issues in college sports.

Discussed playing in MBS and how that sells to high school kids and every kid they recruit are guaranteed to play at MBS during their career.

He had Packer and Wes laughing for an hour over his slogans, high energy, marketing, everything. Not a negative word at all the entire hour.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Talked about Mason a little bit, but was more "big picture" in most of his discussions. Talked at lot about marketing, 404, Waffle House, Adidas, transformation, Morpheus, sending texts to coaches at 3 AM, etc.

Said his biggest influence was O'Leary who promoted his from a defensive GA to a full time tight ends coach.

Gave Packer and Wes a ton of swag, a white helmet, t shirts, and he brought them Bojangles biscuits. At one point, the screen showed the question "Is GT the coolest team in the ACC?"

Also discussed mental health issues, talked about Brandon Adams, but not Bryce Gowdy directly. Apparently, GT is on the forefront of the conversation of mental health issues in college sports.

Discussed playing in MBS and how that sells to high school kids and every kid they recruit are guaranteed to play at MBS during their career.

He had Packer and Wes laughing for an hour over his slogans, high energy, marketing, everything. Not a negative word at all the entire hour.

Nice. Anything about winning some games?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Some talk about "the greatest transformation in college football history" and how the players stepped up and accepted their roles. Also talked about wanting to win more games, but need to get in the players to do that and noted that when he got on campus, the OL averaged 6'1" and 265, but the OL recruits average 6'5" and 294.

Am I doing this right.....:)

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I just got finished watching it. I thought it was a great segment and fantastic publicity for the program. One of the things that stood out to me was how much of a marketing genius this man is. They had a segment talking about stuff around his office and facility and he said that everything he displays has a specific message he is trying to get across (that included his 4 outfit changes in the show).

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Honest question here. What type of comments are you thinking of when you say this? Personally I think a lot of things relate to winning games but that’s how I hear things and you may hear the same thing differently and just as valid as the way I do. I promise I’m not trying to criticize you at all for asking your question and it’s a valid one you asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Honest question here. What type of comments are you thinking of when you say this? Personally I think a lot of things relate to winning games but that’s how I hear things and you may hear the same thing differently and just as valid as the way I do. I promise I’m not trying to criticize you at all for asking your question and it’s a valid one you asked.

Geoff said we would be in a post season bowl just a few weeks ago. It would be interesting to hear his perspective on why he thinks that.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

Stuff like, "You know, we struggled mightily on offense at times. We looked at the tape and realized we needed to reduce the number of 3-and-outs. We can do that by getting bigger in the trenches to jump start our running game. We've done that through recruiting and will continue to do that. We need to be more innovative in our passing concepts and Coach P. will be travelling to Norman and Oxford to talk to some of the best minds in football. That alone should translate into a few more wins."

I don't mind bantering about Waffle House, Adidas, etc., but at some point you'd like to be able to talk football. Look, CGC knows football. It'd be great to hear him say things like, "We had originally planed for Big Brandon to play the shade in our 4-3, tragically that didn't happen. We had to rotate a bunch of guys and shift around to play a smaller set of guys in an odd front instead of what we typically run."

That's my take.

As @Vespidae said, if you're responsible for results, you really need to talk about them.

edit: to be fair, if the purpose of the interview was just a "hang out and chat" then I totally get not talking football in-depth.

Last edited:

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
CT.

Thanks for these clips. I have Comcast and am very displeased.
Coach Collins is sharp for what he says and for what he does not say. He stays on track.

Collins, "Tstan came to me early and asked if I would like to play one game in Mercedes Benz stadium? No . . . . I would like to play five."
Thinking out of the box and it happened. Collins goes on to say why Mercedes is a good thing. He gave several exceptional reasons.

I like the man. Hey and our uniforms look great!! :)

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Stuff like, "You know, we struggled mightily on offense at times. We looked at the tape and realized we needed to reduce the number of 3-and-outs. We can do that by getting bigger in the trenches to jump start our running game. We've done that through recruiting and will continue to do that. We need to be more innovative in our passing concepts and Coach P. will be travelling to Norman and Oxford to talk to some of the best minds in football. That alone should translate into a few more wins."

I don't mind bantering about Waffle House, Adidas, etc., but at some point you'd like to be able to talk football. Look, CGC knows football. It'd be great to hear him say things like, "We had originally planed for Big Brandon to play the shade in our 4-3, tragically that didn't happen. We had to rotate a bunch of guys and shift around to play a smaller set of guys in an odd front instead of what we typically run."

That's my take.

As @Vespidae said, if you're responsible for results, you really need to talk about them.

edit: to be fair, if the purpose of the interview was just a "hang out and chat" then I totally get not talking football in-depth.
@Vespidae is just hating to hate, and being a crotchety old man, without even having watched or listened. Pretty obvious on that front to anyone that listened.

You guys have to realize that this is Packer and Durham Show, not Geoff Collins Show. He absolutely talks and owns things when it's the appropriate setting.

In any case, he did say some things like that. Hard to compete when your line is small. So we went and got bigger linemen and 4 of them are here early.
Maybe we don't need innovative passing concepts (because what we have can work). Maybe we need some QBs better than TO and JG, and a bigger, better line. So we went and got x2 4* QBs and brought them in early.

He talked about the dichotomy of having the guys you have vs. the system you want to run. The solution is just to play hard and get better every single day. That's the truth.

Last edited: