College Playoff Rankings

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I personally think we should be ahead of Mississippi State but... (ESecPN)

Same W/L record, but they are getting a lot of credit for beating teams that were highly ranked at the time, but no more.

Let's compare OOC records just for gits and shiggles:

MSU played Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama, and UT Martin.

Tech played Wofford, Georgia Southern, Tulane, and Georgia. Two of those teams now have 9-3 records.

But sure... They are ahead of us because S-E-C. I have another acronym for this. It is B.S.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing. I personally don't think we should be in even if we do beat FSU. They should still be in. Why should Ohio State jump FSU when they lost to a 6 win VT team and FSU lost to us. Oregon's lone loss is to a 10-2 team similar to us. Alabama's loss is to a 9-3 team.

The Committee said one of the main criteria will be Conference Championships, which, in your case, GA Tech would have won, and FSU would have lost. In fact, the way the Committee set up the new ranking, they made sure a PAC 12 team will be in regardless of whether Arizona or Oregon wins because of how far Arizona jumped.

I think if Missouri beats Alabama, the SEC has to get shut out as Bama then has 2 losses and isn't their Conference Champion and Missouri is so far back in the rankings.

The same goes with Wisconsin and Ohio State if Wisconsin wins; they're ranked behind us and the team they would have beat is behind the team we would have beat and their strength of schedule isn't as good as ours so I feel confident we'd stay above them.

If Kansas State beats Baylor, then TCU goes automatically. If Baylor wins, I still dont see both teams going if the rest falls like we said because of strength of schedule and the fact Baylor will have only beaten 3 teams with winning records. Just a hunch. So in this case, TCU gets the BIG 12 slot either way in my opinion.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The Committee said one of the main criteria will be Conference Championships, which, in your case, GA Tech would have won, and FSU would have lost. In fact, the way the Committee set up the new ranking, they made sure a PAC 12 team will be in regardless of whether Arizona or Oregon wins because of how far Arizona jumped.

I think if Missouri beats Alabama, the SEC has to get shut out as Bama then has 2 losses and isn't their Conference Champion and Missouri is so far back in the rankings.

The same goes with Wisconsin and Ohio State if Wisconsin wins; they're ranked behind us and the team they would have beat is behind the team we would have beat and their strength of schedule isn't as good as ours so I feel confident we'd stay above them.

If Kansas State beats Baylor, then TCU goes automatically. If Baylor wins, I still dont see both teams going if the rest falls like we said because of strength of schedule and the fact Baylor will have only beaten 3 teams with winning records. Just a hunch. So in this case, TCU gets the BIG 12 slot either way in my opinion.
I don't believe for a second conference championships matter to them. TCU in over Baylor is exactly why.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

If Bama gets blown out to the tune of more than two touchdowns, they are out. But anything else, they'll get the "quality SEC loss" froomajamma, and still end up in the top four. And I don't see Mizzou winning by more than 14. Ergo, get ready to hear all about "Alabama and the other three" as the theme for the playoffs.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just this one example proves this committee is totally political and full of crap. Ole Miss who just spanked Mississippi State is ranked 12th while Mississippi State is ranked 10th. That is not even common sense logic. Michigan State has lost the only two games they played against a tough opponent, Oregon and Ohio State the only other ranked team they played is Nebraska who is no longer ranked. I don't get the love for Michigan State. We have beat a ranked VT team at the time, a ranked Miami team at the time, a ranked Clemson team and the almighty freakin Georgia Bulldawgs. We lost to a ranked Duke team who is still 9 and 3 by 6 points and to an average North Carolina (who the media continually projects as a top 10 team) team on the road by 5 points.

I just don't think this is the way to determine the best team in the nation. We need at least an 8 team playoff to include the 5 major conference champions and then the next best 3 teams, decided by a computer based on record, strength of schedule and a few other key criteria.

Go Jackets!

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
The way I see it, if we beat FSU:

LIKELY
* we hop FSU
* we hop MSU and MSU
* we hop Oregon or Zona
* we hop baylor OR KSU

MAYBES
* we hop TCU with a TCU loss
* we hop OSU w/ wisc win, wisc isn't hopping us
* we may hop baylor AND KSU if KSU wins
* we may hop bama if mizzou wins

That puts us somewhere in the range of 3-6

GTMD

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm torn- I want a big GT win but have to confess that even if we lose I will be happy to see FSU spank Alabama in new orleans so this will be a pressure free game for me. There is no way we make the playoffs this year due to the UNC loss- take that out of the equation and were likely #6-7 on this list and would've been realistic scenario. What coulda been!

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If Bama gets blown out to the tune of more than two touchdowns, they are out. But anything else, they'll get the "quality SEC loss" froomajamma, and still end up in the top four. And I don't see Mizzou winning by more than 14. Ergo, get ready to hear all about "Alabama and the other three" as the theme for the playoffs.

I just don't see it based on the Committee's criteria from their website. Alabama would have just lost their second game (to Missouri, mind you, which had been shut out by Georgia 34-0, and we just beat Georgia at their stadium after they just beat Auburn by nearly 30 points), making Missouri the SEC Champions, and the Tigers are so far behind us (and again, our common opponent (UGA) should help us, if we're both Conference Champs, go ahead of them.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard one of the sports commentators here in ATL say that of the rivalry games, the Bama-Auburn game drew the best tv ratings scoring around a 7-ish . The next best rivalry game was OSU-Michigan coming in at around 5-ish. The next best after that was FSU-FLA coming in around 4-ish. These guys clearly want to keep Alabama around for the $$$. It's no different than the (s)elected Congresswhores in the federal US Mafia in the District of Criminals and the (s)elected whores in our State Mafias. It's all about who's going to make me some money! There's no sense in getting all worked up over a system that is completely beyond our control because it was designed from the get-go to always be that way just like our corrupt US Mafia and State Mafia "governments" of, by, and for the Corporations - We the Powerless Poor People be damned!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see it based on the Committee's criteria from their website. Alabama would have just lost their second game (to Missouri, mind you, which had been shut out by Georgia 34-0, and we just beat Georgia at their stadium after they just beat Auburn by nearly 30 points), making Missouri the SEC Champions, and the Tigers are so far behind us (and again, our common opponent (UGA) should help us, if we're both Conference Champs, go ahead of them.

Reasonably good analysis, other than neglecting the frooomajama effect--SECspn teams are simply going to be (i.e. have systematically been) judged by a different standard than all other teams this season. Why should that end now?

Animal02

Banned
Just this one example proves this committee is totally political and full of crap. Ole Miss who just spanked Mississippi State is ranked 12th while Mississippi State is ranked 10th. That is not even common sense logic. Michigan State has lost the only two games they played against a tough opponent, Oregon and Ohio State the only other ranked team they played is Nebraska who is no longer ranked. I don't get the love for Michigan State. We have beat a ranked VT team at the time, a ranked Miami team at the time, a ranked Clemson team and the almighty freakin Georgia Bulldawgs. We lost to a ranked Duke team who is still 9 and 3 by 6 points and to an average North Carolina (who the media continually projects as a top 10 team) team on the road by 5 points.

I just don't think this is the way to determine the best team in the nation. We need at least an 8 team playoff to include the 5 major conference champions and then the next best 3 teams, decided by a computer based on record, strength of schedule and a few other key criteria.

Go Jackets!
I still say take the ten conference champs....the bottom for by ranking "play in" and you have a 8 team playoff.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Any chance we had of FSU not taking GT seriously went out the window with the #4 ranking. They are going to play with a chip on their shoulder. Granted, I expected FSU to bring everything they've got, but getting dropped below TCU will light a fire under them. I welcome it.

It's a minor miracle that GT is in the ACC Championship at all (UNC and VT saved their respective implosions for the week after their Duke victories). I'm just happy they are going to Charlotte with another chance to test themselves. Enjoy the ride, friends.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Any chance we had of FSU not taking GT seriously went out the window with the #4 ranking. They are going to play with a chip on their shoulder. Granted, I expected FSU to bring everything they've got, but getting dropped below TCU will light a fire under them. I welcome it.

It's a minor miracle that GT is in the ACC Championship at all (UNC and VT saved their respective implosions for the week after their Duke victories). I'm just happy they are going to Charlotte with another chance to test themselves. Enjoy the ride, friends.
I disagree. In my opinion the only time FSU is fired up is when they're losing after 3 Quarters.