College Playoff Rankings

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While all of this speculation and conspiracy theories are lots of fun to discuss, something more important is currently taking place that assists GT in the ACCCG: the Jameis Winston Hearing has commenced and is proving to be a monumental distraction. Both of his roomates who are on the team refused to testify and the hearing is causing disruptions in their practice schedule. Given the limited amount of time to prepare for this game, that should be an advantage for the Yellow Jackets.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all the time Jameis has spent preparing for legal defenses has in fact cut into his preparation time. Hence the increased numbers of interceptions and generally sporadic play.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
While all of this speculation and conspiracy theories are lots of fun to discuss, something more important is currently taking place that assists GT in the ACCCG: the Jameis Winston Hearing has commenced and is proving to be a monumental distraction. Both of his roomates who are on the team refused to testify and the hearing is causing disruptions in their practice schedule. Given the limited amount of time to prepare for this game, that should be an advantage for the Yellow Jackets.

THIS. Missing film and practice time, as they already had a short week, is, in my opinion, potentially a big issue for them, especially if we did anything remotelly new against UGA on Saturday and/or they were interested in putting anything new in for us this Saturday. Remember, FSU has been playing straight though several difficult games in a row even getting to us, and they needed this full week to put in their game plan, and now it has been cut into with the hearing.

Whether the Seminoles being dropped to 4 in the rankings makes them want to win even more, and they play like their hair's on fire, or depresses them because they know that know matter what they do they'll get no respect so there's no use, and they come out sleepwalking, we'll find out Saturday night. My guess is we'll see them doing everything "right" in the beginning, jumping up and down, etc., but as soon as something goes against them (which we all know will happen), we'll find out which version we've really got on the field.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
First potenial shoe about to drop? There's no line up due to the uncertainty surrounding Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't get out of my mind FSU barely beating us leaving them conference champions but giving the committee the rationale for dropping them to #5 and screwing us out of the Orange Bowl. That way they screw the top two teams in the ACC, the ACC that they seem to hate.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can't get out of my mind FSU barely beating us leaving them conference champions but giving the committee the rationale for dropping them to #5 and screwing us out of the Orange Bowl. That way they screw the top two teams in the ACC, the ACC that they seem to hate.
There's no way in hell they leave out the only undefeated team from a power 5 conference. No way.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Any chance we had of FSU not taking GT seriously went out the window with the #4 ranking. They are going to play with a chip on their shoulder. Granted, I expected FSU to bring everything they've got, but getting dropped below TCU will light a fire under them. I welcome it.

It's a minor miracle that GT is in the ACC Championship at all (UNC and VT saved their respective implosions for the week after their Duke victories). I'm just happy they are going to Charlotte with another chance to test themselves. Enjoy the ride, friends.

A fired-up FSU is more likely to force throws into tight coverage and over-pursue on defense. Both will be good for us.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
They don't want us beating #1 and keeping us out. Looks a lot better #11 beating #4 and being left out.
Sad but likely true...
1) If FSU squeaks by us, they can stay in at #4
2) If FSU wins big, they can stay #4 or sneak up a notch or two
3) If we squeak by FSU, they drop out and we don't get in
4) If we win big over FSU, they drop way out and we still don't get in

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I had nightmares about this very scenario last night.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The committee has put FSU at 4 instead of 1 so they can leave GT out after they beat them.
This is the exact reaction I had to the latest rankings. I was hoping we'd get up into the top 10 and FSU would be either 2 or 3, which would have given us enough room to slide in with a few breaks if we won big. Does anyone truly believe the committee is actually giving all teams a clean slate every week like they say? We dominated most of the game against their #8 team (who our record was identical to) at their place, but we are still only at #11.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
This is ESPN's take on how we get to the Playoff's

Who they'll be rooting for this week:
Georgia Tech's path to the playoff is particularly tenuous. It won't win any two-loss debates against the SEC, so it's probably best that Alabama takes care of business in that league. The same is probably true in the Pac-12, so Tech benefits if Oregon can get revenge on Arizona and end any dispute over two bids from that league. But Tech could make a somewhat compelling case compared with Wisconsin, Kansas State or Baylor, so wins by the Badgers and K-State would certainly at least open the discussion.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we probably get in over Missouri anyway seeing that they only moved up one spot to #16 this week, but it's close. Would make it even more important that we beat Florida State convincingly. The key games are:

Georgia Tech > Florida State (must-win LDO)
Wisconsin > Ohio State (must-win)
Kansas State > Baylor (need this or the much less likely Iowa State > TCU)
Oregon > Arizona (probably need this one, but we could be OK anyway if Arizona beats them convincingly)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've enjoyed the what-if's as much as anybody, and I certainly think that there are scenarios where we can make a good case to be included. Yet, the bottom line is that by dropping the undefeated FSU to 4, they are saying that they are looking for reasons to keep the ACC out, not get one in. They'd put two Big 12 teams in before they'd include GT, imo.