Coincidence for those in the know?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am not saying he withheld $ long ago or recently.

But it would seem more likely he may not be answering the phone recently because he is EMBARRASSED about gt getting slaughtered for last 2 years by uga and clemson.
Top dogs are not used to getting whipped.
2015 - ugh
With Mills
Mills a true freshman who started day one, ran game 1 winning td on final drive, destroyed kentucky in gator bowl and was mvp as a true freshman.

Only once in a while did we get a mills, a jt , a bebe, etc. Then we were back to 2017/18.

Dont know what the future holds if we get fewer top players due to inherent difficulties.

Defense was worse than offense imo. We tended to get one very good player on the D line once every 3-4 years. So none ever played at the same time together when playing at the top of their games.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Is this true? Have you seen the checks or receipts? I hope it’s true but haven’t seen anything indicating it is.
I'm not that close although I know someone that played cards with PJ (back when the Brock facility was being built) because a mutual friend of ours thought he was a big-timer. He soon learned otherwise.

But it stands absolute reason that if more money is being spent it's coming from somewhere and my money is on that it came from the real big donors who now want to spend it. What that reason is? I think we've all heard rumors that are probably true as to why they've now written checks or made commitments.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Personally, I find it very hard to believe that "big donors" had it in for Paul. Why would they, if they were real Tech fans? But I admit that it is almost impossible to prove or disprove urban legends like this. If it suits some narratives here, it'll live on no matter what the actual story is.

I'd bet good money that some donors have or have committed to writing checks now. And yes it might be nearly close to impossible to prove but you know the old smoke/fire scenario.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not that close although I know someone that played cards with PJ (back when the Brock facility was being built) because a mutual friend of ours thought he was a big-timer. He soon learned otherwise.

But it stands absolute reason that if more money is being spent it's coming from somewhere and my money is on that it came from the real big donors who now want to spend it. What that reason is? I think we've all heard rumors that are probably true as to why they've now written checks or made commitments.

If so I’m glad they finally got their way. It only took 11 years to get it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've seen some anecdotal evidence.

Most likely it's very wrong. Our biggest donors never quit giving. A couple of them were known to socialize with CPJ. There is a large group of fans, however, who insist on driving an anti-CPJ narrative, even after he retired. That's where most of this came from...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Most likely it's very wrong. Our biggest donors never quit giving. A couple of them were known to socialize with CPJ. There is a large group of fans, however, who insist on driving an anti-CPJ narrative, even after he retired. That's where most of this came from...
All these references to “narrative”—I’m think of making a drinking game out of it...

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
@BurdellJacket

There is some truth to this. A couple of donors came back to the table after CPJ announced his retirement. They weren't our biggest donors, but they are big donors. Interestingly, my source says they quit donating shortly after CPJ was hired, so it's not like they were being counted on for the CGC hire, but it's definitely helpful to have them back. The money is available now because of a few reasons:

1. Hewitt and other highly paid former coaches are finally coming off the books.
2. The 2020 initiative has excited the donors, and a lot of smaller donors have stepped up their game.
3. The major donors, who never quit giving, are giving more to help CGC get off on a firm footing.

In essence, we REALLY need to be thankful that we hired TStan. He gets it, and it is showing.
I'm confused. Or are you saying that happened with some big donors, but not the biggest donors. The biggest donors have just started giving more?

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm confused. Or are you saying that happened with some big donors, but not the biggest donors. The biggest donors have just started giving more?

It really depends on how you define "big donors." Our biggest donors, the ones who have historically been reliable on a regular basis, never quit giving. There were a few, though, who while not in the same giving stratosphere as the big dogs, yet are not inconsequential givers, who stopped giving a long time ago. This happened over 8 years ago, prior to the 2014 and 2015 seasons. At least one of these donors, (that I know of), has come back to the table. From my understanding, his issue had less to do with the hiring of CPJ but he was close with CCG and basically protested the firing by shutting off the donations. (None of this was ever said, but it fits the character of the person: fiercely loyal to friends) Now, is it possible that TStan had been working him and he would have come back to the table with CPJ at the reigns? Maybe. I'm doubtful, but TStan is GOOD at repairing relationships with alumni. From what I understood after my conversation with my friend, there are several new donors and a few returning donors that are now coming to the table. On top of this, TStan has been greasing the skids of some of the intermediate donors to try and build a more consistent revenue stream.

So, to sum this up TStan has been working to raise more revenue. A goodly portion of this revenue was already committed prior to CPJs announcement. Additional revenue came in because of CPJs announcement for two distinct reasons: 1, a few donors who were less than thrilled with CPJ came back to the table, and 2, regular donors gave more to help secure the best coach and staff possible.

Hopefully this clears up the mud a bit.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So, to sum this up TStan has been working to raise more revenue. A goodly portion of this revenue was already committed prior to CPJs announcement. Additional revenue came in because of CPJs announcement for two distinct reasons: 1, a few donors who were less than thrilled with CPJ came back to the table, and 2, regular donors gave more to help secure the best coach and staff possible.

There was $48 million raised for the AI2020 initiative in 2018 before CPJ announced his retirement. Some of that might be from commitments that have not yet been collected, but it is by far the largest year for the GTAA. In 2017 the total from "contributions" and "other" which are all of the revenues that could include donations was $27 million. Those items include: pure donations, donations above ticket price(TECH fund), Bowl money, revenue from endowments, etc. 2017 was larger than any previous year in the USA Today chart which goes back to 2005. TStan increased fundraising in 2017 and has almost doubled(if not doubled) fundraising in 2018. I don't know what has happened since the coaching change, but I do know that fundraising has changed dramatically since TStan was hired.