1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Coincidence for those in the know?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Oldgoldandwhite, Jan 13, 2019.

1. IEEEWreck

IEEEWreck Helluva Engineer

I've seen some anecdotal evidence.

2. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

Defense was worse than offense imo. We tended to get one very good player on the D line once every 3-4 years. So none ever played at the same time together when playing at the top of their games.

iceeater1969 likes this.
  3. LongforDodd

LongforDodd Helluva Engineer

I'm not that close although I know someone that played cards with PJ (back when the Brock facility was being built) because a mutual friend of ours thought he was a big-timer. He soon learned otherwise.

But it stands absolute reason that if more money is being spent it's coming from somewhere and my money is on that it came from the real big donors who now want to spend it. What that reason is? I think we've all heard rumors that are probably true as to why they've now written checks or made commitments.

4. LongforDodd

I'd bet good money that some donors have or have committed to writing checks now. And yes it might be nearly close to impossible to prove but you know the old smoke/fire scenario.

5. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

If so I’m glad they finally got their way. It only took 11 years to get it.

6. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

Which makes the entire scenario harder to believe for me. Unless they were real, real impatient. That could be true, I suppose, and people with money can be very capricious indeed.

7. LongforDodd

8. LongforDodd

Or maybe they decided it was time to spend more than they were before. That's also a possibility. IDK.

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  9. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

Most likely it's very wrong. Our biggest donors never quit giving. A couple of them were known to socialize with CPJ. There is a large group of fans, however, who insist on driving an anti-CPJ narrative, even after he retired. That's where most of this came from...

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee Helluva Engineer

*takes a drink of Spotted Cow

Animal02 likes this.
  11. GTpdm

GTpdm Helluva Engineer

All these references to “narrative”—I’m think of making a drinking game out of it...

12. herb

herb Helluva Engineer

You’ll never make it through the night and you will regret it tomorrow ;)

13. GTRock

GTRock Helluva Engineer

I'm confused. Or are you saying that happened with some big donors, but not the biggest donors. The biggest donors have just started giving more?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. GTpdm

GTpdm Helluva Engineer

You probably don’t get the joke...but I’m sure one person out there does...:sneaky:

(Hint: check my recent posting history...)

jwsavhGT, YJAlleyCat and Milwaukee like this.
  15. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

Add in roll eyes, eye rolls and I will play. First we have to get permision from animal.

16. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

:spitoutdummy:

iceeater1969 likes this.
  17. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

Animal has nominated the barf prize.

Animal02 likes this.
  18. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

It really depends on how you define "big donors." Our biggest donors, the ones who have historically been reliable on a regular basis, never quit giving. There were a few, though, who while not in the same giving stratosphere as the big dogs, yet are not inconsequential givers, who stopped giving a long time ago. This happened over 8 years ago, prior to the 2014 and 2015 seasons. At least one of these donors, (that I know of), has come back to the table. From my understanding, his issue had less to do with the hiring of CPJ but he was close with CCG and basically protested the firing by shutting off the donations. (None of this was ever said, but it fits the character of the person: fiercely loyal to friends) Now, is it possible that TStan had been working him and he would have come back to the table with CPJ at the reigns? Maybe. I'm doubtful, but TStan is GOOD at repairing relationships with alumni. From what I understood after my conversation with my friend, there are several new donors and a few returning donors that are now coming to the table. On top of this, TStan has been greasing the skids of some of the intermediate donors to try and build a more consistent revenue stream.

So, to sum this up TStan has been working to raise more revenue. A goodly portion of this revenue was already committed prior to CPJs announcement. Additional revenue came in because of CPJs announcement for two distinct reasons: 1, a few donors who were less than thrilled with CPJ came back to the table, and 2, regular donors gave more to help secure the best coach and staff possible.

Hopefully this clears up the mud a bit.

19. GTRock

GTRock Helluva Engineer

Definitely does. Falls in line with a lot of what I've heard (outside msg boards). Thanks.

20. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

There was $48 million raised for the AI2020 initiative in 2018 before CPJ announced his retirement. Some of that might be from commitments that have not yet been collected, but it is by far the largest year for the GTAA. In 2017 the total from "contributions" and "other" which are all of the revenues that could include donations was $27 million. Those items include: pure donations, donations above ticket price(TECH fund), Bowl money, revenue from endowments, etc. 2017 was larger than any previous year in the USA Today chart which goes back to 2005. TStan increased fundraising in 2017 and has almost doubled(if not doubled) fundraising in 2018. I don't know what has happened since the coaching change, but I do know that fundraising has changed dramatically since TStan was hired.

Whiskey_Clear and COJacket like this.