Coincidence for those in the know?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
CPJ retiring, Prez retiring, seemingly much bigger staff, and going after the previously unattainable.

Did the powers that be finally put football as a top priority? Did the purse strings get untied? Did we tell the Hill where to go? Are we really trying to run with the big boys?

Too much of a coincidence for me. Or is everything finally breaking our way?
The biggest impact was PJ having retired and the big donors were then talked into writing checks that hadn't been written in close to a decade.

No real connection to Bud and the Hill.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
@BurdellJacket

There is some truth to this. A couple of donors came back to the table after CPJ announced his retirement. They weren't our biggest donors, but they are big donors. Interestingly, my source says they quit donating shortly after CPJ was hired, so it's not like they were being counted on for the CGC hire, but it's definitely helpful to have them back. The money is available now because of a few reasons:

Thanks @Augusta_Jacket and @Supersizethatorder-mutt For confirmation of The sources of our major financial challenges. It appears that outside financial circumstances have improved and the new coaching regime will greatly reduce the bickering among the Georgia Tech faithful. Hopefully now we can all stand proudly behind the program and give it our fullest support.

At least in every article about GT football Bark Madly will be able to lead with “Geoff Collins’ unstylized NFL offense” instead of “Paul Johnson’s stylized offense”.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think you have to add to that list. CPJ was by his nature a self-reliant person. He was not a natural salesperson, the kind to ask/demand things of others.

Largely, if a recruit, fan, or donor wanted to be part of what CPJ's team was doing, great; if not, fine. In recruiting, PR, and fundraising, he was always a "let the results speak for themselves" guy. I think Saban is more this way also, you don't hear about him resorting to gimmicks to recruit. But his results really speak.

CGC in contrast is a natural salesperson. He's a promoter. CGC will ask fans to come to games, he'll ask recruits to come play for him, he'll solicit money-men for funds. Dabo is more this style, he'll humiliate himself in a viral dance video if he thinks it'll win over a recruit he needs.

CPJ did more with less. CGC is going to try to get more to do with. We'll see which strategy ends up with better results.

While all of this is true, I was replying as to how we had the money to go after the current staff at the levels we are. CGC is definitely a better self promoter than CPJ was. There is no question there. If anything, I will also add that it's typical for the excitement of a new coaching hire to grease the checkbooks of donors.

Animal02

Banned
While all of this is true, I was replying as to how we had the money to go after the current staff at the levels we are. CGC is definitely a better self promoter than CPJ was. There is no question there. If anything, I will also add that it's typical for the excitement of a new coaching hire to grease the checkbooks of donors.
What is CGC $$$ vs. CPJ's? That could be some of the difference,

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Understood. I probably should have phrased my point more like this: "CGC is selling Tech football to the alumni/fans/public more than CPJ did."

But I don't mean that as a knock on CPJ. However, I do think part of having the money to hire CGC and his staff is; CGC (and TStan) soliciting for donations more than had been done in the past. In addition to the normal new-coach excitement.

E.g. CPJ was set to hire Ellis Johnson as his first DC and was told he didn't have the money. This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if CGC kept selling people until he found someone(s) willing to front the money to hire Key, Suddes, etc.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Understood. I probably should have phrased my point more like this: "CGC is selling Tech football to the alumni/fans/public more than CPJ did."

But I don't mean that as a knock on CPJ. However, I do think part of having the money to hire CGC and his staff is; CGC (and TStan) soliciting for donations more than had been done in the past. In addition to the normal new-coach excitement.

E.g. CPJ was set to hire Ellis Johnson as his first DC and was told he didn't have the money. This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if CGC kept selling people until he found someone(s) willing to front the money to hire Key, Suddes, etc.

I'm in total agreement here.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think CPJ was pushed out by any means, his retiring just changed the timetable for what's happening now.

You are absolutely correct on this. TStan was attempting to get the program (financials and facilities) back into shape for CPJ to make a run, but like all good leaders, had a succession plan in place to hedge his bets. TStan is the best thing to happen to GT Athletics in a long time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Brock has definitely contributed in a big way. Main reason we have an indoor practice facility. However, from what little I’ve heard about him, he doesn’t seem like the type to withhold over the type of offense GT runs.

I think that’s very apparent. We wouldn’t have that facility if he was.

slugboy

Staff member

Ellis Johnson was getting virtually HC money to be a DC. There’s a middle ground between bargain basement and unlimited budget, and Ellis was coming in on the “unlimited budget” side of the spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The biggest impact was PJ having retired and the big donors were then talked into writing checks that hadn't been written in close to a decade.

No real connection to Bud and the Hill.

Is this true? Have you seen the checks or receipts? I hope it’s true but haven’t seen anything indicating it is.

Thanks @Augusta_Jacket and @Supersizethatorder-mutt For confirmation of The sources of our major financial challenges. It appears that outside financial circumstances have improved and the new coaching regime will greatly reduce the bickering among the Georgia Tech faithful. Hopefully now we can all stand proudly behind the program and give it our fullest support.

At least in every article about GT football Bark Madly will be able to lead with “Geoff Collins’ unstylized NFL offense” instead of “Paul Johnson’s stylized offense”.
Don't hold your breath on that highlighted bit. The bickering has already started among some just on these threads. It NEVER ENDS !!! <sigh>

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s very apparent. We wouldn’t have that facility if he was.
I am not saying he withheld $ long ago or recently.

But it would seem more likely he may not be answering the phone recently because he is EMBARRASSED about gt getting slaughtered for last 2 years by uga and clemson.
Top dogs are not used to getting whipped.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'll take 100 2016's over one 2017. LOL
2015 - ugh
With Mills
Mills a true freshman who started day one, ran game 1 winning td on final drive, destroyed kentucky in gator bowl and was mvp as a true freshman.

Only once in a while did we get a mills, a jt , a bebe, etc. Then we were back to 2017/18.

Dont know what the future holds if we get fewer top players due to inherent difficulties.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing this, but I haven't seen anything but speculation about it.

Personally, I find it very hard to believe that "big donors" had it in for Paul. Why would they, if they were real Tech fans? But I admit that it is almost impossible to prove or disprove urban legends like this. If it suits some narratives here, it'll live on no matter what the actual story is.

Oh, and I doubt that there is anything at all in the coincidence of both Paul and Peterson resigning so closely together.