Coincidence for those in the know?

Animal02

Banned
I doubt we will ever know one way or the other, and it doesn't really matter.

That being said it is very odd that Johnson received an extension after missing a bowl just to turn around and retire a year later. Between that and the midseason vote of confidence from the AD makes it hard to believe Johnson's retiring wasn't without some sort of influence from TStan. Now whether that was being pushed out, some sort of hand shake agreement, or something else I dunno.
Or, as a lot of 60ish people....simply tired of the BS

I doubt we will ever know one way or the other, and it doesn't really matter.

That being said it is very odd that Johnson received an extension after missing a bowl just to turn around and retire a year later. Between that and the midseason vote of confidence from the AD makes it hard to believe Johnson's retiring wasn't without some sort of influence from TStan. Now whether that was being pushed out, some sort of hand shake agreement, or something else I dunno.
It has been said, and no, there are no sources to prove this, that TStan was NOT HAPPY that CPJ decided to retire, although apparently CPJ did indicate to him early in the season that it might happen. TTFWIW

Deleted member 2897

No, I do not know this to be a fact, and I frankly hope it's not true. But that's certainly been bandied around --- that certain rich alums were tired of his offense, if they ever really liked it to begin with.
It has been said, and no, there are no sources to prove this, that TStan was NOT HAPPY that CPJ decided to retire, although apparently CPJ did indicate to him early in the season that it might happen. TTFWIW

Well we made some vodka and nitroglycerin-laced lemonade out of that lemon!

Then start suing them. Press conferences. Make sure everyone in the state knows about the uGA BOR etc etc.
I doubt you can sue the BOR, but when Homer Rice's efforts got rebutted by the BOR, and when the BOR added engineering schools at the cesspool, I DO think that Tech PR people definitely could have raised more of a public stink about it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach is wanting more support - bor says that's funny.

Tstan starts the ball rolling - bor says that's funny

Coach quits- bor says that's funny.

tstan hires a fireball - BOR says ????.

bor accepts prez 's retirement

Negative me says
If the new female prez doesn't clearly say excellent athletics/ tradition in first speech, gt football gets the shaft big time.
Positive me says gt football gets a little upward bump by the new prez

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Said by who?

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if TStan wasn't happy in the sense that he wasn't actively glad that it happened. I would be surprised if he was angry that it did happen. The truth is that as an AD having a coach that divides the fanbase as much as CPJ did, rightly or wrongly, is not a good position to be in, and Johnson retiring was probably the easiest way out.

Said by who?

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if TStan wasn't happy in the sense that he wasn't actively glad that it happened. I would be surprised if he was angry that it did happen. The truth is that as an AD having a coach that divides the fanbase as much as CPJ did, rightly or wrongly, is not a good position to be in, and Johnson retiring was probably the easiest way out.
I'm sure he wasn't angry about it, but having supposedly talked about a possible retirement with CPJ earlier in the season, I just think it somewhat surprised him that it happened so soon. You are right, however, it was the easiest way out, and I credit CPJ for doing what he probably would have done in the near future anyway. I still HATE that he's gone, but what's done is done, and he went out honorably and with one helluva resume. Just as I FULLY supported CPJ, I now FULLY support CGC.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't remember the exact names of the programs, but WITH THE APPROVAL OF THE HILL, Rice (probably through the Tech pres at the time) presented a request for Sports Management and a couple of other programs. They were immediately voted down by the BOR.
So essentially this all went down in the 90s?

A separate note - I just don’t know how the BOR can keep doing this given the GT Research $$. Friends better knowing / connected than me mention that GTR subsidizes much of the university system. Almost to the point where we’re the only profitable university in the system. When I’ve been a part of strat planning sessions - typically the cash cow gets what they want. And in the case of GT, we’re really the Star - printing money and focused in high growth fields and research.

herb

Helluva Engineer

Supersize, do you know this about big donors to be true or are you surmising?

I have heard it in so many words from a few. And I don’t know about Bud in the sense of the athletic side, but in terms of the academic side/student life side, good f’n riddance. Always the danger of the devil you know vs. the devil you don’t but all things being equal, i’ll Take my chances.

So essentially this all went down in the 90s?

A separate note - I just don’t know how the BOR can keep doing this given the GT Research $$. Friends better knowing / connected than me mention that GTR subsidizes much of the university system. Almost to the point where we’re the only profitable university in the system. When I’ve been a part of strat planning sessions - typically the cash cow gets what they want. And in the case of GT, we’re really the Star - printing money and focused in high growth fields and research.
Probably the late 80s or early 90s. He was at Tech till 97