coaching 'staff' comparisons

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I hope I don’t end up behind you two at a game!
Or next to them, given the itsy-bitsy spacing of the bleachers at BDS. I’m not a big man (5-10, 165), but I am broad-shouldered enough to have to sit askew, if there is someone similarly broad sitting next to me. (Now to be clear, my wife—sitting on the other side of me—is no broad...;))

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I happen to think we have improved in S&C, OL, S/T and certain D position coaches.

For various reasons, we, again I believe, have drastically changed our recruiting culture and goals.

Potentially, I think the biggest change will be the expectations for the program.

If we did not have this change we, at this time of year, would have been looking at an almost unprecedented malaise in the program. A whole dairy farm of spilt milk. Meaningless bowls results & emtions would have carried forward. No excitment, no new goals. Just blah.

yep, being 5o something in recruiting definitely is a limiting factor--lot of ground to make up even on the dooks of the world not to mention uga and clem

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Or next to them, given the itsy-bitsy spacing of the bleachers at BDS. I’m not a big man (5-10, 165), but I am broad-shouldered enough to have to sit askew, if there is someone similarly broad sitting next to me. (Now to be clear, my wife—sitting on the other side of me—is no broad...;))
I'm 270 but I get 3 tickets and there are only 2 of us so I can have more room.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Either I said something wrong I did not mean the players didn't like CPJ all I was saying is today's players seem the like the the cheerleading type. I know CPJ loved his players and I'm sure most loved him after all he did give them a chance . At one time the cheerleading type of coach was called a players coach. I liked CPJ and his No Nonsense type of coaching.
I wasn't so much dissing your post - I should have made that clearer - as the idea, expressed by some here, that every coach has to be like Dabo to succeed with "today's youth". This is, of course, the ever present "young people are going to Hell in a hand basket, football version" that is common among older folks who don't know them very well. I think both styles can work, but, like you, I liked Paul's approach better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear Do we have any specific info on cgc that shows he is not a straight shooter? Guy seems like a nice blend of - family is everything And competition is king.
He is an encourgaing type verses in your face type , but i think they both love thier players and do whats best for themand the team.

I won't rush to say "good" but will see over time how the recruiting classes / playing time / player graduation / help in getting to thier goals, etc.

This fall I will get a chance to see the morgan parents and see if they are satisfied with cgc and key as a replacments for cpj and sewak.

Wonder if little brother morgan is in line for a scholarship. That kid is a thick person.
No, no. By praising Paul as a straight shooter I didn't even begin to mean to say Coach wasn't. Like you, I think there's plenty of evidence that he is, though he has a different style of doing it. And, obviously, both styles can work. For every Dabo, there's a Bill Synder.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No, no. By praising Paul as a straight shooter I didn't even begin to mean to say Coach wasn't. Like you, I think there's plenty of evidence that he is, though he has a different style of doing it. And, obviously, both styles can work. For every Dabo, there's a Bill Synder.
It gets complicated as time passes and players come and go.

Cgc seems to have a tighter - less hands off - relationship with every aspect of the program.

Cpj was kind of guy that could say a few words to u and u got the point.
Cgc seems to give way more general expectations to everyone than cpj.

Ethier style works if its with integrity.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Tori McElhaney's article in the Athletic this morning touched on this a little bit. Specifically, what was the culture change, how it affected coaching style, and how the players are responding to it with quotes from David Curry. Here are some quotes:
“A lot of guys in the past maybe when you would come at them and say, ‘Hey man, you’re not doing this right,’ then, it’s usually a fight,” Curry said.

Now, Georgia Tech players are not as defensive when faced with constructive critiques.

“If they do get defensive, you have three or four other leaders on the team who will back that guy up to say, ‘Hey, we’re not putting up with that,’” Curry said.

Other quotes from Curry:
“I can tell how close the team is getting because there is a lot less bickering,” he said.

It’s also about accountability, too.

“If you are not meeting the standard,” Curry said, “you are going to be called out and you will weed yourself out.”

Curry specifically mentions that coaches say, "We are attacking the problem not attacking the person.” It's subtle, but it diverts the criticism so it's not taken personally by the players. We had this same discussion a couple months ago when an article said that Collins didn't want his coaches cussing out players for mistakes, rather he wanted them to build the players up. Whether you agree with the coaching philosophy or not, it seems to be resonating well with the players.

One big thing that our coaching staff does now that few others (if any) do in college football is work alongside the players extensively. The coaches wear cleats to practice to demonstrate drills. The same article takes quotes from Curry on how the players learn much more quickly from seeing things done by the coaches, as not everyone can process feedback given in the film room easily. This also goes for Coach Lew and how he does every workout routine alongside the players, which motivates them to work harder. Nobody wants to be outworked by their coach.

We won't know whether this all translates to better play until after a couple seasons, but at least anecdotally it seems like the players are picking up the coaching better than before. And repeatedly we've seen quotes that indicate that the players are more close and cohesive, which was something we heard a lot about the 2014 team. The guys on defense on that team would talk about how they'd communicate well and would often sacrifice themselves to give their teammate a chance at making a play. They counted on one another and it made the whole unit better. Hopefully the staff can instill that 2014 mindset in the team for the entirety of the Collins' era.

Last edited:

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Tori McElhaney's article in the Athletic this morning touched on this a little bit. Specifically, what was the culture change, how it affected coaching style, and how the players are responding to it with quotes from David Curry. Here are some quotes:

Other quotes from Curry:

Curry specifically mentions that coaches say, "We are attacking the problem not attacking the person.”It's subtle, but it diverts the criticism so it's not taken personally by the players. We had this same discussion a couple months ago when an article said that Collins didn't want his coaches cussing out players for mistakes, rather he wanted them to build the players up. Whether you agree with the coaching philosophy or not, it seems to be resonating well with the players.

One big thing that our coaching staff does now that few others (if any) do in college football is work alongside the players extensively. The coaches wear cleats to practice to demonstrate drills. The same article takes quotes from Curry on how the players learn much more quickly from seeing things done by the coaches, as not everyone can process feedback given in the film room easily. This also goes for Coach Lew and how he does every workout routine alongside the players, which motivates them to work harder. Nobody wants to be outworked by their coach.

We won't know whether this all translates to better play until after a couple seasons, but at least anecdotally it seems like the players are picking up the coaching better than before. And repeatedly we've seen quotes that indicate that the players are more close and cohesive, which was something we heard a lot about the 2014 team. The guys on defense on that team would talk about how they'd communicate well and would often sacrifice themselves to give their teammate a chance at making a play. They counted on one another and it made the whole unit better. Hopefully the staff can instill that 2014 mindset in the team for the entirety of the Collins' era.
Great stuff.

Can you clarify this quote?
“If they do get defensive, you have three or four other leaders on the team who will back that guy up to say, ‘Hey, we’re not putting up with that,’” Curry said.
Leaders are backing up who? The coach or the player? Assuming in context it means the leaders on the team talk to the player to make the criticism/situation work.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Great stuff.

Can you clarify this quote?
Leaders are backing up who? The coach or the player? Assuming in context it means the leaders on the team talk to the player to make the criticism/situation work.
I think you're right, it's that the leaders on the team don't put up with a defensive attitude. The article says that team collectively realized that getting defensive about criticism slows your development, so they hold each other accountable and call each other out when it happens. Curry feels like the team is more open towards coaching, both from the coaches and their teammates.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The interest Coach Collins has in academic progress for every player is encouraging.
Articles says every week He has a meeting about every players detailed attendance, grades, papers due, etc.
I may contact coach hurt to see if this is what he set up after the Custis disaster ( no paperwork on file) . Cpj really cracked down - for example - shortly after this andy mac had to run stadiums w aj gray at 0600 the day after aj was late for or missed a class .

I love that cgc is in meeting.

Animal02

Banned
BDS seating is luxurious compared to the Big House. There, you could have eight year olds sitting on either side and still have to sit sideways.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would have replied by posting this URL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Johnson_(American_football_coach)

So much for the "mediocre head coach" meme, I'd say. The three ACC Coach of the Year awards new enough to put paid to that, even without the rest.

I look at it this way: The role of the head coach is not just to coach. I think CPJ was one of the best game coaches in recent memory.

When I think of all of the responsibilities of the head coach ... recruiting, operations, media relations, etc ... I think was not well suited to a P5 program. At Tennessee for example.. had he gotten that job ... I don’t believe he could have handled it. Tech was the right size school for Paul and he had some solid years. I don’t think he’s a candidate for Top 100 of all time.

Just an opinion. And for the record, I liked him. I just think he could have been so much better.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I look at it this way: The role of the head coach is not just to coach. I think CPJ was one of the best game coaches in recent memory.

When I think of all of the responsibilities of the head coach ... recruiting, operations, media relations, etc ... I think was not well suited to a P5 program. At Tennessee for example.. had he gotten that job ... I don’t believe he could have handled it. Tech was the right size school for Paul and he had some solid years. I don’t think he’s a candidate for Top 100 of all time.

Just an opinion. And for the record, I liked him. I just think he could have been so much better.
That is the knock on Chip Kelly, isn't it? He's an excellent offensive mind, but he notoriously hates dealing with boosters and recruiting. His record at Oregon made him look like a fantastic head coach, but he was largely propped up by Oregon's flash and money that masked his problems. The NFL revealed some problems he has as a HC. It'll be interesting to watch his tenure at UCLA without the advantages he had at Oregon (record was 3-9 last year). Also, UCLA usually pulls top 20 or top 15 recruiting classes, but last year was 44th and this year is 71st with only 8 commits.

Animal02

Banned

Or, at Tennessee, would the bigger $$$ allowed for more staff etc to handle the larger responsibilities? ;)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Tennessee could have kept with their tradition and hired him. They hired Butch who had lost to Dooley. They could have hired CPJ who lost to Butch.

Would’ve been fitting for that clown show.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Or, at Tennessee, would the bigger $$$ allowed for more staff etc to handle the larger responsibilities? ;)

He couldn’t have handled the media/fans. These people are brutal if things don’t go well and they’ve had a lot of practice recently.