coaching 'staff' comparisons

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The first 3 year period had 7 players leave early to the nfl.

There is a strong correlationship between nfl talent and winning.

That said the coaching genius of cpj in the 2018 miami and uva games is sadly overlooked by many

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The first 3 year period had 7 players leave early to the nfl.

There is a strong correlationship between nfl talent and winning.

That said the coaching genius of cpj in the 2018 miami and uva games is sadly overlooked by many

Your first two sentences are correct (not grammatically, but substantively).

It takes coaching genius to overcome two teams with a combined record of 13-13?? What that really says is that there were other problems with the program--like recruiting--which proves your first two sentences. The Johnson fan boys wave the flag about his prowess as an offensive coordinator--which has merit. But he was the head coach, and not just the OC. As a head coach, he was mediocre, and he only rose to the level of mediocre because he was a good OC.

I am solidly on the Collins train and I will give him time. But if his combined record against FBS opponents in years 3-4-5 is .500 like Johnson's was, we either need to decide that we are academically too elite for FBS and shut it down, or folks need to get out their checkbooks and decide to play with the big boys. I am tired of the last 17 years of mediocrity. We have an AD and HC with the pedigrees to move us up--something we have not had for a long time. If they can't get it done, it's very doubtful that it can be done.

Your first two sentences are correct (not grammatically, but substantively).

It takes coaching genius to overcome two teams with a combined record of 13-13?? What that really says is that there were other problems with the program--like recruiting--which proves your first two sentences. The Johnson fan boys wave the flag about his prowess as an offensive coordinator--which has merit. But he was the head coach, and not just the OC. As a head coach, he was mediocre, and he only rose to the level of mediocre because he was a good OC.

I am solidly on the Collins train and I will give him time. But if his combined record against FBS opponents in years 3-4-5 is .500 like Johnson's was, we either need to decide that we are academically too elite for FBS and shut it down, or folks need to get out their checkbooks and decide to play with the big boys. I am tired of the last 17 years of mediocrity. We have an AD and HC with the pedigrees to move us up--something we have not had for a long time. If they can't get it done, it's very doubtful that it can be done.

Well I don't agree with the mediocrity as we did go to 2 Orange bowls and played in the championship game 3 times. But if you label that as mediocre, then you might as well say we have been mediocre since roughly somewhere around 1967 since. So 52 years........If you expect something different then you picked the wrong school to cheer for. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia etc players can not get into Tech nor can they stay there. That is why when we have the magic seasons, 1970, 1985, 1990, 1998, 2009, 2014, it is something special, because we do it with less talent, always have. Unless you want to Change Georgia Tech into Georgia the other campus, it is not going to change.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Well I don't agree with the mediocrity as we did go to 2 Orange bowls and played in the championship game 3 times. But if you label that as mediocre, then you might as well say we have been mediocre since roughly somewhere around 1967 since. So 52 years........If you expect something different then you picked the wrong school to cheer for. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia etc players can not get into Tech nor can they stay there. That is why when we have the magic seasons, 1970, 1985, 1990, 1998, 2009, 2014, it is something special, because we do it with less talent, always have. Unless you want to Change Georgia Tech into Georgia the other campus, it is not going to change.

Ah, this tired attitude...I swore I was going to skip this thread. I am glad the staff doesn't share it.

Last edited:

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

The facts don't back up your opinion. 53-53 FBS record over the last 9 years is the very definition of mediocre.

On the other hand, we were ranked in the AP final top 25 for 5 consecutive years from 1997-2001. That was after 1967, I believe.

It's attitudes like yours--that we are doomed to mediocrity--that are hold us down. Maybe you need another school to cheer for.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So Smokey, when Stanford is competing for the NC every year and Northwestern, then I will agree with you. But....they aint.

There is a lot of daylight between 7 wins a year and competing for national championships every year, which no one has predicted we will do.

The facts don't back up your opinion. 53-53 FBS record over the last 9 years is the very definition of mediocre.

On the other hand, we were ranked in the AP final top 25 for 5 consecutive years from 1997-2001. That was after 1967, I believe.

It's attitudes like yours--that we are doomed to mediocrity--that are hold us down. Maybe you need another school to cheer for.

LOL......You cant erase 52 years.
1997 7-5
1998 10-2
1999 8-4
2000 9-3
2001 8-5

Sort of looks familiar huh. Rankings are a relative thing.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have been a bit harsh in this thread. Family is driving me nuts and I am liquored up and looking to fight.

To answer the OP, I think Key over Sewak shouldn't be controversial, and we have heard and seen enough from our players to give the nod to the new strength staff, too. For the others, we are lacking data and apples to apples comparisons.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
How do you tell without any reference to how well any of the new coaching staff is doing?

Not to disparage the OP, but how do you determine how well coaches are doing without some sort of body of work to compare.

Waffle House Wednesdays are the only benchmark so far. And yes, I am being tongue in cheek here.

None of us are on the field with coaches yelling at us to tell the difference.

The only thing I can tell for sure is that we have a lot more Tech alumni coaching than we did before.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will need one of our QB's to become a big time playmaker. I expect our D and ST to be better than last few years. There is potential on this team but will need to find out who wants it when the ball is snapped.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Before we get derailed trying to compare a staff w zero games and one w 11 year track record , think about the following:

What if gt had the vision / money to have hired dc geoff Collins from Mississippi state when he left for florida. Imagine him recruiting the for the last 5 years.

This thread could now be a out

HOW WILL IT WORK
What do you think of coach johnson stepping down to only be the oc while turning over the overall reigns of the program to the highly sucessfull dc? Coach Collins says this is his dream job.
The day that Johnson would agree to be OC for a guy with zero HC experience would see the earth tilted and billions falling into space.