coaching 'staff' comparisons

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If CGC can match CPJs Orange Bowls, ACCCGs, ACCC, and taking a knife to a gun fight in Athens and winning 3 times---without gravitating to ugags graduation rate and/or winning Fulmer Trophies---the hype will be real and the juice will have punch. Mid 2021 season should tell us most of what we need to know. If Yates or the 2020 QB now committed blossom, it will greatly enhance our chances of moving up in the CFB world.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If CGC can match CPJs Orange Bowls, ACCCGs, ACCC, and taking a knife to a gun fight in Athens and winning 3 times---without gravitating to ugags graduation rate and/or winning Fulmer Trophies---the hype will be real and the juice will have punch. Mid 2021 season should tell us most of what we need to know. If Yates or the 2020 QB now committed blossom, it will greatly enhance our chances of moving up in the CFB world.

This pretty much sums things up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe recruiting has definitely gotten better . The move to early morning practices also seems like a big improvement and I agree with several others that Coach Lew seems to be doing a helluva job - and what player wouldn't listen to a coach with his physique that leads by example !
Go Jackets !!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think this coaching staff "gets" the players better. Players seem to be willing to fight for Collins more than Johnson.

Collins seems more involved, which in the long run, to me, means better player progression.

We needed a GM and a coach. Johnson was an OC posing as a HC with no GM involvement.

Collins being focused on branding already has hit the head on the nail for this program. We were an after thought to 99% of the nation as a BRAND. Everyone knows bama and Clemson football even if they don't follow college ball.

We need that here. Now. The complete lack of attention of that from Johnson is extremely concerning. Maybe it was an age thing, or a stuck in his ways thing.

Do I appreciate Johnson? Yes. Heck yes.

Am I glad we are on to a new era? Yes. Absolutely.

I fully expect to have 5 ACC appearances in the next 10 years and at least 2 playoff appearances.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You left out:
11-3 (2014)

The post above cited 5 years. Cherry-picking makes comparative stats so - oh, what shall I say? - gratifying, doesn't it? But, of course, that isn't the reason for using statistics at all, now, is it?

I'm surprised you tried this, frankly. Usually, we can expect better.

I think 4 years is plenty to demonstrate a trend, but I did confess to posting under the influence there.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. W should NEVER be a average team. Our expected win total should never be under 9.

I expect us to be contenders every year. Otherwise why are we playing. Now can we achieve that? I believe so more now with Collins than before with Johnson.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
. Players seem to be willing to fight for Collins more than Johnson.
I agree with most but not this statement. For CPJ it was more a business you have a job do it. I don't recall them quitting Maybe getting beat but not quitting. CGC seems to be more of the cheerleading type of coach which there's nothing wrong with it worked for Dabo . It's going to depend on the assistant coaches. I do think the players of today may do better with the cheerleading type of coach , but time will tell. CPJ was the old fashioned type of coach which many of us older fans understand better. Imo

I agree with most but not this statement. For CPJ it was more a business you have a job do it. I don't recall them quitting Maybe getting beat but not quitting. CGC seems to be more of the cheerleading type of coach which there's nothing wrong with it worked for Dabo . It's going to depend on the assistant coaches. I do think the players of today may do better with the cheerleading type of coach , but time will tell. CPJ was the old fashioned type of coach which many of us older fans understand better. Imo

LOL now this I can understand. When I played, in the 70's coaching was more than just business, if you didn't do your job coach grabbed your facemask and threw you on the ground, and then you ran some wind sprints. Oh and for you younger folks, we ran the Wishbone, then the Veer, and finally the I back then. And Defense, the 5-2.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
LOL now this I can understand. When I played, in the 70's coaching was more than just business, if you didn't do your job coach grabbed your facemask and threw you on the ground, and then you ran some wind sprints. Oh and for you younger folks, we ran the Wishbone, then the Veer, and finally the I back then. And Defense, the 5-2.
Yes I remember those days I played in the late 60's we run a very easy offense they called it the full house 2 HB 1 fullback but the fullback was behind the 2 HB's. If we have 6 passes a game that was a high passing game. Our defense was a 5-3. I remember one practice I messed up 2 plays one right after the other. The coach told me I had potential and asked me if I knew what that meant , in those days you played it safe and I say no sir so he could tell me what he meant. He said potential means one day I could be good but right now I played like sh*t and start thinking during the play. Same day a few plays later I mess up again he ask me what was I doing. I say well coach I thought he slap my helmet and told me to stop thinking and just react. That was high school in the 60's

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Kids are a different breed now.

They are pushing for "mental health" days in high schools.

Cheerleading is just the start.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Before we get derailed trying to compare a staff w zero games and one w 11 year track record , think about the following:

What if gt had the vision / money to have hired dc geoff Collins from Mississippi state when he left for florida. Imagine him recruiting the for the last 5 years.

This thread could now be a out

HOW WILL IT WORK
What do you think of coach johnson stepping down to only be the oc while turning over the overall reigns of the program to the highly sucessfull dc? Coach Collins says this is his dream job.
You cannot rewrite history, what if we had hired Steve Spurrier when we had the chance.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think 4 years is plenty to demonstrate a trend, but I did confess to posting under the influence there.
Yes, my bad. A poor internet connection held up your subsequent posts on this. My apologies.

And, personally, I think 5 games does a better job of showing trends then 4. Especially in this case.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes I remember those days I played in the late 60's we run a very easy offense they called it the full house 2 HB 1 fullback but the fullback was behind the 2 HB's. If we have 6 passes a game that was a high passing game. Our defense was a 5-3. I remember one practice I messed up 2 plays one right after the other. The coach told me I had potential and asked me if I knew what that meant , in those days you played it safe and I say no sir so he could tell me what he meant. He said potential means one day I could be good but right now I played like sh*t and start thinking during the play. Same day a few plays later I mess up again he ask me what was I doing. I say well coach I thought he slap my helmet and told me to stop thinking and just react. That was high school in the 60's
Clark Shaughnessy strikes again! We ran a wing-T, I combo. My coaches said exactly the same thing; they hit my helmet too - multiple times. Football is a very simple game, when you get down to the individual level. It's the teamwork that's difficult.