coaching 'staff' comparisons

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this coaching staff "gets" the players better. Players seem to be willing to fight for Collins more than Johnson.

Collins seems more involved, which in the long run, to me, means better player progression.

We needed a GM and a coach. Johnson was an OC posing as a HC with no GM involvement.

Collins being focused on branding already has hit the head on the nail for this program. We were an after thought to 99% of the nation as a BRAND. Everyone knows bama and Clemson football even if they don't follow college ball.

We need that here. Now. The complete lack of attention of that from Johnson is extremely concerning. Maybe it was an age thing, or a stuck in his ways thing.

Do I appreciate Johnson? Yes. Heck yes.

Am I glad we are on to a new era? Yes. Absolutely.

I fully expect to have 5 ACC appearances in the next 10 years and at least 2 playoff appearances.
Love your unbriddled optimism for sudden improvement in on field results.
We have higher academic standards, more limited tech heave curriculum, only college admin that has cash cow research dept that dwarfs gt athletics.

With those limits one would think we would hire and pay "way" above average coaches.

The teams u are talking about us beating have top paid assistant coaches. imo, the one coach that we should have always paid top $ is strength coach. If you search for " ncaa college football strength coaches , you will see coach Sisk is ranked by salary at about # 60. Sure its possible the new strantgh coach we hired is a diamond we found at "buffalo". Sisk has moved to Ga state. Look where we got most of the new staff - smaller schools like North Texas, Temple, etc.

I hope we can win early, get buzz at bds, raise donations, so we can $$ up this staff. Otherwise , we will be shopping the g5 teams for another staff after these guys move up.

When have ever paid "extra" to overcome our "extra" limitations?

Hope we do this time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
imo, the one coach that we should have always paid top $ is strength coach. If you search for " ncaa college football strength coaches , you will see coach Sisk is ranked by salary at about # 60. Sure its possible the new strantgh coach we hired is a diamond we found at "buffalo". Sisk has moved to Ga state. Look where we got most of the new staff - smaller schools like North Texas, Temple, etc.

Not being snarky, intentionally anyway, but why? I don't question well paid, but top dollar?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
we won't know until we actually start playing games.
but I will trade on what a high school coach told me. he was impressed with the energy and attitude the new staff has. but, as he said, if they don't win, it all comes off as just gimmicks.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think this coaching staff "gets" the players better. Players seem to be willing to fight for Collins more than Johnson.

The players I talked to loved PJ. And how many of them thanked him for showing them how to be better in all facets of life when he announced he was stepping down. and all the guys I knew who played for him at Southern loved him and loved playing for him.
Collins has yet to face any adversity. He's being widely hailed as a hire. No one has called into question anything he does - yet. PJ faced opposition right off the bat from the media and others.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's going to depend on the assistant coaches. I do think the players of today may do better with the cheerleading type of coach , but time will tell. CPJ was the old fashioned type of coach which many of us older fans understand better. Imo
Yet, from what TStan said, Paul's announcement to the team that he was retiring led to more pure emotion from the players then he had ever seen in a team meeting in any sport. If you look at what the players said when they graduated (there's a URL for that that I couldn't find) it comes through loud and clear that they had a real attachment to Paul and often looked at him as the only coach who would "give me a chance" to play college football. (Btw, one of them was Harrison Butker.) The way both players and parents looked up to Paul as a "straight shooter" who would tell them where they stood and what they needed to do to both play and graduate has been cited over and over again.

Sp, no, I don't buy that the "players do better for a cheerleading coach". But they could easily do as well. We'll see soon enough.

Animal02

Banned
Yet, from what TStan said, Paul's announcement to the team that he was retiring led to more pure emotion from the players then he had ever seen in a team meeting in any sport. If you look at what the players said when they graduated (there's a URL for that that I couldn't find) it comes through loud and clear that they had a real attachment to Paul and often looked at him as the only coach who would "give me a chance" to play college football. (Btw, one of them was Harrison Butker.) The way both players and parents looked up to Paul as a "straight shooter" who would tell them where they stood and what they needed to do to both play and graduate has been cited over and over again.

Sp, no, I don't buy that the "players do better for a cheerleading coach". But they could easily do as well. We'll see soon enough.
I suspect the kids recruited by CPJ were the type that did best under him. The kids being recruited under CGC are the type that buy into hype.

What we are really going to watch is an experiment and I hope it works. Can Georgia Tech win while operating an Offense and Defense that is very much like their opposition runs. With that can the staff recruit better players and still graduate enough of them at an acceptable rate. Can they get the players to grow and develop. Can we go to to toe with Clemson and Georgia relying on Jimmies and Joes

CPJ had a scheme that worked, for the most part. When he came to Tech it had worked at Navy and Southern and he knew it was a good fit for Tech.

CGC has a different plan and we shall see if it can work. What I do hope is that he is able to utilize a bit of both and still run a fair amount of option. This has always been a success at Tech. O'Leary and Friedgen sort of combined both as we utilized a lot of triple and straight option from 1995-2001.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
we won't know until we actually start playing games.

I could not agree more. In fact, as a coaching staff is ultimately measured on wins and losses, how is it that we’re even talking about this before we’ve played even one game with this staff?

Let’s raise the question again in two or three years. The staff has to have, as the pundits say, “a body of work” before there is anything to compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Either I said something wrong I did not mean the players didn't like CPJ all I was saying is today's players seem the like the the cheerleading type. I know CPJ loved his players and I'm sure most loved him after all he did give them a chance . At one time the cheerleading type of coach was called a players coach. I liked CPJ and his No Nonsense type of coaching.

I think that honor goes to @TooTall
:D

Well, I don't know Too Tall, but here are my credentials, which I have shared before.

Family has had season tickets since 1931
I started attending in 1969
Started getting my own and contributing $1000 to ATF in 1994, after my grandmother died. The tickets were hers and you can't inherit
While living in St. Pete Florida from 1992-1994 came home for every home game and back then, before all this TV sports, had my grandmother put a phone next to the radio and I listened to the game on the phone. No radio coverage down there
Still buy 4 season tickets even after living here in Colorado since 1998. Used to make more games but at least 1 a year. Gong to Pitt and UGA this year.
Own so many Tech clothes they fill a closet and a dresser
Never miss a Tech game on TV or Radio
Have the football that Jimmy Lincoln scored the 2 point play in 1991
Met CPJ and had a good long talk with him
And the kicker....UGA grad 1984. Just never converted and in fact cheered for Tech. When UGA beat UF on the Lindsey Scott play I was at Grant field watching #1 Notre Dame come back to tie Tech.

@Coloradojacket, just a play on words as I am 7ft almost 350. Admired your fanship for a while now. Be great to meet you at a game this year. What part of Colorado are you in? My mother is from Yuma.
I live in Centennial, a suburb of Denver. I am coming to the Pitt game. We have a new tailgate location since they closed the student center so when I figure out where it is I will let you know. When I post it just ask for Pete's tailgate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The players I talked to loved PJ. And how many of them thanked him for showing them how to be better in all facets of life when he announced he was stepping down. and all the guys I knew who played for him at Southern loved him and loved playing for him.
Collins has yet to face any adversity. He's being widely hailed as a hire. No one has called into question anything he does - yet. PJ faced opposition right off the bat from the media and others.
Had Johnson coached a standard vanilla college offense even easily offended radio DJs would have liked him. It was the offense, always the offense, even when he proved his point with championships. People couldn't get past it.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Yep...I thought I was a big fan at 6'6" and 280. I am a piker compared to you. ;)
I live in Centennial, a suburb of Denver. I am coming to the Pitt game. We have a new tailgate location since they closed the student center so when I figure out where it is I will let you know. When I post it just ask for Pete's tailgate.

I hope I don’t end up behind you two at a game!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not being snarky, intentionally anyway, but why? I don't question well paid, but top dollar?

Just to be clear Do we have any specific info on cgc that shows he is not a straight shooter? Guy seems like a nice blend of - family is everything And competition is king.
He is an encourgaing type verses in your face type , but i think they both love thier players and do whats best for themand the team.

I won't rush to say "good" but will see over time how the recruiting classes / playing time / player graduation / help in getting to thier goals, etc.

This fall I will get a chance to see the morgan parents and see if they are satisfied with cgc and key as a replacments for cpj and sewak.

Wonder if little brother morgan is in line for a scholarship. That kid is a thick person.