Coaching Carousel -- Just Pastner 2019

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Pastner gets us to the Tourney within the five years he was tasked with doing it in I would give him an extension.
Probably 2-3 years since he only has 2 yrs left on his contract at that point.
He will have accomplished what he was tasked with doing.
I would continue to decrease the buyout - so probably a 50% buyout in yrs 6 and 40% in yr 7.

That way if we backslide due to recruiting or anything else it is less costly to move on.

Everyone seems very scarred by the 2019 class and assuming we will not be able to land anyone in 2020. May be that will happen but i'll let it play out before assuming it. We'll know in November. That's only 6 months away.

slugboy

Staff member
Guys, an employment contract that can be terminated at will with no penalty (buyout) is not really a contract.

True, but there’s a big difference between “pay salary through the remainder of the season” vs “pay 80% remainder of the contract”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Pastner gets us to the Tourney within the five years he was tasked with doing it in I would give him an extension.
Probably 2-3 years since he only has 2 yrs left on his contract at that point.
He will have accomplished what he was tasked with doing.
I would continue to decrease the buyout - so probably a 50% buyout in yrs 6 and 40% in yr 7.

That way if we backslide due to recruiting or anything else it is less costly to move on.

Everyone seems very scarred by the 2019 class and assuming we will not be able to land anyone in 2020. May be that will happen but i'll let it play out before assuming it. We'll know in November. That's only 6 months away.

You mean the sky’s not falling? Lately I’ve wondered why I even bother keeping up. You would think that we don’t have arguably our best team in years coming back next season.

According to Pea & KG (and about 50% of the other threads), Pastner is kooky, can’t recruit, cant coach offense, is in survival mode, and is surely to be fired in 2021.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You mean the sky’s not falling? Lately I’ve wondered why I even bother keeping up. You would think that we don’t have arguably our best team in years coming back next season.

According to Pea & KG (and about 50% of the other threads), Pastner is kooky, can’t recruit, cant coach offense, is in survival mode, and is surely to be fired in 2021.

I mean, he is kooky. Whether or not he *can* recruit is unproven, but he had a disastrous year with recruiting, for sure. Hard to tell if he can coach offense when he has no scorers. I dunno if he is in survival mode, but he has to be feeling a little desperation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

One of them also said we should probably dance next year.

But don’t let all the facts get in the way of your story. Carry on...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of them also said we should probably dance next year.

But don’t let all the facts get in the way of your story. Carry on...

Just saying that all the misery is just old and tiresome, and I can’t be the only one that feels that way.

Maybe it’s just the off-season and there’s not much to discuss, but it just seems that we can’t be excited about next season or the 2020 class because everyone keeps bitching about the same ole ****.

Everyone has blasted his recruiting, especially someone like Moses Wright, and he is poised to be a major contributor for us. If he plays anywhere near the level he did down the stretch, and I’d say that qualifies as ACC caliber. People don’t even really know what we have in Moore and Sjolund yet.

Despite what you might think, I don’t have a Past we jersey on, and I’m not jumping up and down or screaming from the rooftops about our coach, but also think that there’s a lot of people that can’t see the forest for the trees.

I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just saying that all the misery is just old and tiresome, and I can’t be the only one that feels that way.

Maybe it’s just the off-season and there’s not much to discuss, but it just seems that we can’t be excited about next season or the 2020 class because everyone keeps bitching about the same ole ****.

Everyone has blasted his recruiting, especially someone like Moses Wright, and he is poised to be a major contributor for us. If he plays anywhere near the level he did down the stretch, and I’d say that qualifies as ACC caliber. People don’t even really know what we have in Moore and Sjolund yet.

Despite what you might think, I don’t have a Past we jersey on, and I’m not jumping up and down or screaming from the rooftops about our coach, but also think that there’s a lot of people that can’t see the forest for the trees.

To be fair - @Peacone36 believes we're positioned well for a good season and @kg01 is a cheap shot artist on Tubby Smith who's only redeeming quality is that he's now eating better ice cream.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To be fair - @Peacone36 believes we're positioned well for a good season and @kg01 is a cheap shot artist on Tubby Smith who's only redeeming quality is that he's now eating better ice cream.

I'm actually expecting us to make the tourney this year. But no one pays any attention to me unless I say something negative.

:(

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I’m just busting their chops really because we’re cool like that (I hope). It can’t be, and it’s not all rainbows and sunshine, but since we’re all such passionate GT fans, we should go out and support the hell out these guys next season, win as many games as possible, and worry about his future then. I’m not saying people shouldn’t or can’t be frustrated, but it really won’t take much to tip the scales with the program.

Red put it very well, IF we make the tourney next season, he accomplished his task, and we really can’t say what the 18 class might look like as Jr’s, and many of our fans are talking about taking his head.

Last edited:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I’m just busting their chops really because we’re cool like that (I hope). It can’t be, and it’s not all rainbows and sunshine, but since we’re all such passionate GT fans, we should go out and support the hell out these guys next season, win as many games as possible, and worry about his future then. I’m not saying people shouldn’t or can’t be frustrated, but it really won’t take much to tip the scales with the program.

Red put it very well, IF we make the tourney next season, he accomplished his task, and we really can’t say what the 18 class might look like as Jr’s, and many of our fans are talking about taking his head.
I'm right there with you. The reality is we need Pastner to be the guy. If he isn't then we're stuck hiring some other guy for a stale job and even if we spend the money required we're still rebuilding and hoping for a 2023-2024 tournament run? All we can do is support him and if he needs to go then we should make a change but we're not really in a position to begin that discussion as a program right now

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
We all want Pastner to succeed, we want GT to succeed... but he's got to win big games to win big recruits, and he's got to have talent to win games.

I do think the roster we'll have next year (especially if Parham is eligible) is good enough to make the tourney... good enough to upset some good teams. We'll finally have a starting 5 that I believe is ACC worthy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

We are that cool.

End of the day, we play in the best basketball conference in the country and I just don’t see it when it comes to Pastner in the long term regardless of what fruit I think 2019-20 will bear. The disdain you and likely other have for this stance is why I try not to post as much during the off-season this year but I also have a hard time swallowing those opinions from time to time.

But then again, we gone round and round a lot over the past 10 years and the results......kinda back me up.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
My take is that I don't see Pastner as the long term solution, but if we make a tourney run next year or the year after, I am going to enjoy the heck out of it. Shoot, I thoroughly enjoyed his first season and the NIT run.

Just don't overreact with a big extension unless the recruiting really picks up.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
I cannot make the determination yet if CJP is the long term answer for us. Coach K had a 38-47 record his 1st 3 years at Duke. Years 2 and 3 he had a losing record. He made the NCAA in year 4 and the rest is history. We will know for sure on CJP after this next year.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
My frustration lies in UGA already recruiting much better than we are. That’s what hurts a lot. Josh is going to get it done. I feel good about him making it happen this year.