Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm 100% good with taking a chance on Beilein if he wants to come here. He's a fundamentally great coach who wins with a good system and player development. He's not a coach that has to hit homeruns recruiting every season. He's a good to very good recruiter as well.

It's not often a coach that's been to the NCAAT 10 of 13 years, and has won 30 games various seasons in a P5 conference (including his last 2 years at Michigan) is available. You take that chance.

Of course, putting together an attractive package to even be in the conversation for Beilein may be a bridge too far this year...and maybe even next year.

Some team is gonna get a heck of a coach in Beilein.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great coach and if we end up with him, which I'm about 103% sure we won't, I would be perfectly fine with it.

But I also think he's a 67 year old coach who's system relies on development. His first 4 years at Michigan weren't all that different than the last 2 under Amakar, and his recruiting, which was overall good not great imo, relied heavily on recruiting the midwest. I think his stint with the Cavs will only be a negative when it comes to recruiting in general, but a bigger issue when trying to recruit the south. Could be wrong but that's imo.

I get the same feeling as I did when I thought about Tubby going to Memphis. Not identical situations, but same general feeling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great coach and if we end up with him, which I'm about 103% sure we won't, I would be perfectly fine with it.

But I also think he's a 67 year old coach who's system relies on development. His first 4 years at Michigan weren't all that different than the last 2 under Amakar, and his recruiting, which was overall good not great imo, relied heavily on recruiting the midwest. I think his stint with the Cavs will only be a negative when it comes to recruiting in general, but a bigger issue when trying to recruit the south. Could be wrong but that's imo.

I get the same feeling as I did when I thought about Tubby going to Memphis. Not identical situations, but same general feeling.

LOL, both of us agree chances of it happening are pretty slim to none, with none probably the likeliest outcome. Really no need to discuss it anymore than we have.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
The hire itself would be a homerun. I'm not certain he'd actually do all that well here though as I question how good a fit he would be.

He would be arguably the best coach on the market based on pedigree (if you exclude Pitino), so yeah it would be a home run. This goes back to the idea I mentioned in an earlier post that "if the right guy is out there, we have to be aggressive" with regards to selling GT Bball and making a competitive offer. At some point, we have to believe we can be as appealing as other P5 schools. Of course a school like Texas will have more money to throw around, and we would be fighting an uphill battle if it comes down to a coach choosing bw us and them. But that doesn't mean we can't beat out plenty of P5 schools if we play our cards right. I'm not saying we will get Beilein. But we should believe that we are capable of getting him or another proven winner on-board. It just takes an aggressive commitment to rebuilding the program.

It isn't an apples to apples comparison, but look at what Tennessee did landing Rick Barnes. IIRC even though Barnes was taking some heat for not getting deep enough in the NCAAT, that was a surprise hire and a major statement by Tennessee that they were committed to getting their bball program back on track with a big name coach.

IMO - right now, the biggest barrier to attracting a proven winner is the impending NCAA sanctions than anything else. But hopefully we are putting out feelers and trying to test the market.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He would be arguably the best coach on the market based on pedigree (if you exclude Pitino), so yeah it would be a home run. This goes back to the idea I mentioned in an earlier post that "if the right guy is out there, we have to be aggressive" with regards to selling GT Bball and making a competitive offer. At some point, we have to believe we can be as appealing as other P5 schools. Of course a school like Texas will have more money to throw around, and we would be fighting an uphill battle if it comes down to a coach choosing bw us and them. But that doesn't mean we can't beat out plenty of P5 schools if we play our cards right. I'm not saying we will get Beilein. But we should believe that we are capable of getting him or another proven winner on-board. It just takes an aggressive commitment to rebuilding the program.

It isn't an apples to apples comparison, but look at what Tennessee did landing Rick Barnes. IIRC even though Barnes was taking some heat for not getting deep enough in the NCAAT, that was a surprise hire and a major statement by Tennessee that they were committed to getting their bball program back on track with a big name coach.

IMO - right now, the biggest barrier to attracting a proven winner is the impending NCAA sanctions than anything else. But hopefully we are putting out feelers and trying to test the market.

Has tennessee really made any noise in basketball? I am genuinely asking, as I have not noticed them aside from an occasional upset, but they certainly haven't caught my eye as a casual fan.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Has tennessee really made any noise in basketball? I am genuinely asking, as I have not noticed them aside from an occasional upset, but they certainly haven't caught my eye as a casual fan.

They were number 1 in the country for about a month last year, and a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. They were a 3 seed the year before that. We would kill for that, obviously.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They were number 1 in the country for about a month last year, and a 2 seed in the NCAA tourney. They were a 3 seed the year before that. We would kill for that, obviously.
Thank you for that info...I wasn't aware. And you're right. Heck, I'd kill for an NCAA bid of any kind these days!

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
UT gets good players. Off the top of my head, Bernard King, Alan Houston, Dale Ellis...their recruiting since Barnes took over has been really good.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
UT gets good players. Off the top of my head, Bernard King, Alan Houston, Dale Ellis...their recruiting since Barnes took over has been really good.
Exactly. But we're also getting sidetracked here gentlemen. The point is Tennessee went out and made it a point to land one of the best coaches on the market in order to bring their program back to where it once was.

We have to be willing to do the same thing. And Beilein is currently one of the best coaches on the market. IMO we really should be putting out feelers and trying to sell our program to top candidates. We can't count ourselves out of the running before the game starts. We have to believe we are good enough to get a winner, and if Texas decides to throw more money at the guy, it is what it is. At least we tried.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would love a top flight coaching hire and a devotion of a goodly sum to basketball.

I've been saving my spare change and am up to $2.53....how 'bout ya'll?

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Just turned on the Pelicans/Lakers game... any thoughts on Fred Vinson ever taking over at Tech. He’s coaching at New Orleans. I know he’s worked with Zion’s form and Lonzo’s form (both have a ways to go). Just a thought.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see us making a coaching change this year. The team has been very competitive since Jose came off injury. To finish at 500 in the ACC would be very positive for recruiting looking forward. The possible sanctions are the elephant in the room since this team has a great nucleus coming back next year. I think we should take the ban this year looking to be very competitive for post season next year with a veteran team. If we don't perform next year then entertain a coaching change.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just turned on the Pelicans/Lakers game... any thoughts on Fred Vinson ever taking over at Tech. He’s coaching at New Orleans. I know he’s worked with Zion’s form and Lonzo’s form (both have a ways to go). Just a thought.

Ever been offered a HC job?

The only way, at this juncture, i would want to make a HC change is to go with another coach with a last name starting with "P" - Pearl or Petino.

But we are set for 2 more years otherwise.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see us making a coaching change this year. The team has been very competitive since Jose came off injury. To finish at 500 in the ACC would be very positive for recruiting looking forward. The possible sanctions are the elephant in the room since this team has a great nucleus coming back next year. I think we should take the ban this year looking to be very competitive for post season next year with a veteran team. If we don't perform next year then entertain a coaching change.[/QUO
Ever been offered a HC job?

The only way, at this juncture, i would want to make a HC change is to go with another coach with a last name starting with "P" - Pearl or Petino.

But we are set for 2 more years otherwise.
I agree. I don’t see us making any changes immediately. Just happened to see him last night and wondered if he would ever be a possibility since he is a Tech guy.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Oh snap. I heard his name mentioned occasionally while I watch NO play and didn’t put it together!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to keep on the periphery when talking about Beilein:

If Shaka Smart survives and delays the executioner another year at Texas, that takes a BIG program off the market for a coach this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Beilein is a native New Yorker, has had five previous coaching jobs in New York and is near retirement. I don't know if there will be any jobs open in NYC this offseason, but four hours up the road in Chestnut Hill there might be one. Imagine if JB goes there and brings his boy Yaklich with him (assuming he isn't offered his own gig). JB with a backcourt of Tabbs and Heath, wings of Hamilton and incoming Demarr Langford.

ugh....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He would also have Langford's older brother who is sitting out after transferring from Providence.
On the flip side BC loses the elder Hamilton, Thornton and Popovic.
Would be quite similar to this year's VT team with alot of guards, but little on the inside.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to an <a href="https://twitter.com/ACCSports?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@ACCSports</a> source, Wake Forest and the agent for head coach Danny Manning have begun negotiations for a potential buyout <a href="https://t.co/jNUelSp21Z">https://t.co/jNUelSp21Z</a> <a href="https://t.co/CFn3zLYdm0">pic.twitter.com/CFn3zLYdm0</a></p>&mdash; ACCSports.com (@ACCSports) <a href="">March 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>