Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder if Clem will be in play for him once he *ahem* "leaves" Texas.

You still follow VCU at all? Speaking of Virginia, I peek in on Richmond every once in a while to laugh at them and their lifetime contract coach. Having a good year this year. Just took like 10 years to do it. Heh

Almost time for another 10 year renewal.

We're lucky Rad didn't sign onto that. I thought Mooney was an alright candidate at the time, but that contract was insane

slugboy

Staff member

BC is first, Texas second, and we’re third? Interesting math in Vegas. Massively surprised to see us so high, and I thought Texas would be first. Wonder why we’re third and have such high Beilein odds?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Wake board has been hot for Smart for over a year. Their belief is that they can pull a Pastner light and hire him from TX and have TX help Wake with Manning's buyout.
(I believe both schools have contracts that run into the high 7 to low 8 figures for buyouts. Both coaches have fully guaranteed contracts.).

Smart would be on my list, but probably not in my top 5. I almost don't care who is next when it is time to move on from Pastner - I just want it to be someone that the previous team's fanbase is not happy about losing.

I will say that I have heard innuendo from some TX fans that Smart's success at VCU was due more to a couple of assts than to Smart. I've also heard at least one TX insider say in his opinion that Smart is a mid-major coach. Will really do well at mid-majors but isn't cut out to succeed at a high major.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How long does Manning last at Wake? My WF friends really wanted him gone last year. He must have a contract that is keeping him there .

slugboy

Staff member

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wonder why we’re third and have such high Beilein odds?

Probably because we are a P5 team with a 4th year coach with a .500 record and some NCAA trouble but also a relatively low buyout (compared to places like Texas or Wake).

Now maybe he wants to coach some iwth less pressure and would be willing to come here as an assistant and mentor to Pastner for cheap? Hey. I can dream can't I?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In case anybody was wondering how fed up Texas was with their basketball program (and Shaka)...

And here’s one with 20 seconds remaining with Texas leading by 8 against an in-state and conference rival. Not great
4B113E9A-B321-479F-B03B-DEE711AD240F.jpeg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From about this time last year: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_80bd2456-b841-5d19-9e14-c0a4dbb954ad.html

Reported to have a contract through 24-25 with a $18MM buyout. I don’t know how much has changed in one year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manning's contract is fully guaranteed. So basically the buyout goes down $3M each year. Whenever they choose to fire him they have to pay the remainder of the contract. That would mean somewhere in the neighborhood of $15M after this season. His contract runs for 5 more years.
Also, Shaka Smart's contract at Texas is fully guaranteed. Would have cost them $12.9M last year to fire him and will cost them a little under $10M this year if they decide to pull the plug.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Manning's contract is fully guaranteed. So basically the buyout goes down $3M each year. Whenever they choose to fire him they have to pay the remainder of the contract. That would mean somewhere in the neighborhood of $15M after this season. His contract runs for 5 more years.
Also, Shaka Smart's contract at Texas is fully guaranteed. Would have cost them $12.9M last year to fire him and will cost them a little under $10M this year if they decide to pull the plug.
What's up with these fully guaranteed contracts for marginal coaches? I get that Coach K's contract would look like this, but was Manning going to walk if he didn't get a full buyout?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What's up with these fully guaranteed contracts for marginal coaches? I get that Coach K's contract would look like this, but was Manning going to walk if he didn't get a full buyout?

FWIW both of these guys were considered big "gets" when they signed - especially Shaka. But Manning was a still big get for Wake as well. IMHO Shaka legitimately had the juice to get this kind of contract to leave VCU while Wake did reach a bit for Manning. But neither was looked at as marginal coaches when they signed.

At this stage though Texas pulling the plug on $10M is a heck of lot more likely than Wake pulling the plug on $15M.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
out of about 140k living alums, only about 7k (5%) give to athletics, as opposed to close to 40k giving to the school.

it’s not that GT folks aren’t generous, they just aren’t giving to athletics, and the GTAA has done a terrible job of reaching out.

Alumni Association actively tries to hurt GTAA. People need to stop giving to that side of the school.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
IF CJP has a decent / good recruiting class this next cycle and we finish somewhat strong this year we very well could be talking (privately at least) extension after the next 2 years.

Odds are against all of that happening, but way too many are making assumptions at this juncture about what may happen. Who would want the job with sanctions? Where is the money to hire a current big name successor?

I want Josh to kick azz. When he took the job he was led to believe support was something it was not and how great the overblown ACC was.

Gonna be fun regardless.

Milwaukee

Banned
IF CJP has a decent / good recruiting class this next cycle and we finish somewhat strong this year we very well could be talking (privately at least) extension after the next 2 years.

Odds are against all of that happening, but way too many are making assumptions at this juncture about what may happen. Who would want the job with sanctions? Where is the money to hire a current big name successor?

I want Josh to kick azz. When he took the job he was led to believe support was something it was not and how great the overblown ACC was.

Gonna be fun regardless.

Todd is gonna can Josh regardless of what a few want. Josh actively carries the same philosophy that PJ had in football with the recruiting excuses. He thinks we are handcuffed and the ceiling is low. That’s the most frustrating thing in the world for me. Buck up dude, your path is even easier than Paul’s was and you’re still making excuses. I’m looking forward to the next coach, I don’t need a big name, just a new coach. I’m so happy that TStan has came to us.