Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think for the most part expectations are pretty reasonable among the fanbase. We won’t ever be a blue blood but we should dance 3 out of 5 years.
Serious question because I haven't looked...Have we ever done that outside of Bobby Cremins tenure?

If I'm not mistaken, we have only been dancin 16 or 17 times (something like that) in the history of our program, and we have been playing basketball for a long time.

I'm not saying it isn't possible or that we shouldn't strive for that, but I just don't know if our program has ever been that consistently good.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We went to 3 out of 5 in Hewitt's first 5 years. We went to 2 out of 6 in the rest of his tenure.

So 5 appearances in 11 years. Based on my GT fandom which dates back to 1989-1990, that feels about right.

If we get that $30-$40 million committed investment that dtm referenced, I think that 3/5 is doable.

Otherwise, that may be a tad aggressive. Just my two cents.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
So 5 appearances in 11 years. Based on my GT fandom which dates back to 1989-1990, that feels about right.

If we get that $30-$40 million committed investment that dtm referenced, I think that 3/5 is doable.

Otherwise, that may be a tad aggressive. Just my two cents.

Or frame Pastner for the murder of Mr. Peanut.

I think it is a reasonable expectation for the program if you ignore the previous and current coaching staffs.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I think for the most part expectations are pretty reasonable among the fanbase. We won’t ever be a blue blood but we should dance 3 out of 5 years.

given our location and product i see no reason we cant be a top caliber program minus the cheating. now if your saying the being blue blood involves cheating then i agree with you. id rather run a clean program.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Or frame Pastner for the murder of Mr. Peanut.

I think it is a reasonable expectation for the program if you ignore the previous and current coaching staffs.
Get me there half the time, and I am good. Yes, I'll "settle" for 3 appearances every 6 years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Serious question because I haven't looked...Have we ever done that outside of Bobby Cremins tenure?

If I'm not mistaken, we have only been dancin 16 or 17 times (something like that) in the history of our program, and we have been playing basketball for a long time.

I'm not saying it isn't possible or that we shouldn't strive for that, but I just don't know if our program has ever been that consistently good.

not even close. But given geography and conference affiliation I think it’s a reasonable expectation.
197DD5CA-C842-4C59-B0CE-2DA82E66F6E6.png
EC9B1266-E901-4B83-AE27-0FE7327B089B.png
63133B46-4C61-46FE-AFC3-A463DD090E42.png

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, ADTS needs to be sending out feelers to see what his coaching options are next year. I doubt we can afford to fire Pastner now. The other thing is who do we hire? Someone decent is going to require a lot of money to come here right now. We're under probation, have recruiting restrictions and possibly a post season ban all still in play. We haven't had a 0.500 season in ACC play in like 14 years. I think we need to let this season play out and then if we find ourselves in the same situation next year we can probably afford it, and if he's done his homework we'll have someone decent lined up and ready. I hope none of that happens, but Pastner's gotta be just about at the end of the rope.

as much as ive been unhappy i hold out that by some miracle of fate it all falls in place for the team and for cjp. i dont dislike him at all. i love all the kids n share in their success. we have a good bunch imo.

coach is the youngest coach in the acc by 3-4 years at least. here is what coach k did his first 4 years before the program took off.....

im holding out hope for coach but damn coach toss me an fn bone.

1980–81 Duke 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Quarterfinal
1981–82 Duke 10–17 4–10 T–6th
1982–83 Duke 11–17 3–11 7th
1983–84 Duke 24–10 7–7 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32

this started a string of 12 straight years where duke won championships. went to numerous final 4s. id say its looks fairly comparable to where we are at now..... almost. heh

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
given our location and product i see no reason we cant be a top caliber program minus the cheating. now if your saying the being blue blood involves cheating then i agree with you. id rather run a clean program.
We don't run a clean program now, hence our appeal of ncaa sanctions. And I agree with you that given our location and conference we should be in the top half of the ACC every year. That makes you a bubble team minimum. The damage done by the Hewitt contract that led to the neglect of the BB program is what really pisses me off as a fan. I grew up a Tech fan and attended from 85-90. I saw what excitement a good BB team can bring. Its what made it my favorite sport to watch. This drought has basically turned off more than two complete cycles of students who have never seen a tournament team. That leads to low expectations and enthusiasm for the program. This years team should be a tournament team and I expect that to be the goal going forward. Otherwise Stansbury needs to address the problem with our BB program and quit worrying about building new buildings.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Get me there half the time, and I am good. Yes, I'll "settle" for 3 appearances every 6 years.

Hewitt's issue became that his down years were really down. I'll take 5 big dances in a decade if you throw in 3 NITs. That allows for 2 rebuilding type years.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt's issue became that his down years were really down. I'll take 5 big dances in a decade if you throw in 3 NITs. That allows for 2 rebuilding type years.

Did Hewitt ever have a season though where he didn’t have at least one future NBA player on the roster? That’s where we’re really lacking right now.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Take out Cremins. That leaves 6 NCAAT appearances in the history of mankind.

Sadly, Bobby was the greatest thing that will ever happen to Tech hoops. He was amazing and fun as hell to watch those teams play. Without him, we are lucky to get an invite once in a while.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You were nuts because that was a crazy comment. Folks like Lammers and Tadric were nothing before Pastner got here. You’re welcome to complain and provide criticism, but at least be honest about it. The vast majority of us were here that year, so you can’t just make stuff up. We had one of the worst returning rosters in the country that year and most people had predicted us to struggle to even go 1-17 in ACC play. It was such an amazing job that won Coach of the Year for Pete’s sake.
2015-16 CBG last year 21-15
2016-17 CJP First year 21-16 (with CBG team)

Since then it has been a Dumpster Fire.....With his BFF Ron Bell and all of that drama he brought with him....CJP is in over his head and he always has been, ask the Memphis folks what they think about him....IIWII

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Jordan was actually feeling a bit of warmth coming into the season. Next year would be a better indicator of whether or not he is a viable option after Baldwin and McDermott leave. He is also a Butler alum so he will most likely be looking for an extension after this success as opposed to a payday elsewhere.

I would love to snatch Pikiell from Rutgers or Ritchie McKay from Liberty. Matt McMahon would be on my long list as well. Hell.......id like to see Stansbury call Rick Pitino but it will never happen.

No way, hard pass on Ritchie McKay. What reason is there to think that he is ready for this job and the challenges that come with it? He has experience but has been very underwhelming with CSU, OSU, and New Mexico. If he's seriously in the running, we might as well just take a flyer on another up and coming mid-major coach...

Hitting in AA doesn't mean you're ready for the big leagues. We need someone who has shown they can win at a major level (and isn't getting run out of town by the current fans, eg Pastner). Pikiell has done a great job at Rutgers and would be a really good get. Steve Prohm (sort of on a hot seat at ISU and an exception to my above comment) would be a really good get. I would also like to see us go after Pitino...doesn't seem realistic given the baggage, but I still think he would be home run hire. Shoot, look no further than Auburn to see what can happen when a coach with baggage gets a second chance lol