Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
He isn't getting fired for cause. That isn't something that happens except for rare and serious cases.

Unless one of the kooks on here kills someone and Pastner gets framed for it, this is not a possibility.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

I told everyone after Year 1 that he won with CBG team and that was it...Then folks said I was nuts... then Ron Bell...and everyone said it was Ron Bells fault...CJP is joke and we need a new coach...It has been that way since Day 1....People are just starting to see through the Kool-Aid

You were nuts because that was a crazy comment. Folks like Lammers and Tadric were nothing before Pastner got here. You’re welcome to complain and provide criticism, but at least be honest about it. The vast majority of us were here that year, so you can’t just make stuff up. We had one of the worst returning rosters in the country that year and most people had predicted us to struggle to even go 1-17 in ACC play. It was such an amazing job that won Coach of the Year for Pete’s sake.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You were nuts because that was a crazy comment. Folks like Lammers and Tadric were nothing before Pastner got here. You’re welcome to complain and provide criticism, but at least be honest about it. The vast majority of us were here that year, so you can’t just make stuff up. We had one of the worst returning rosters in the country that year and most people had predicted us to struggle to even go 1-17 in ACC play. It was such an amazing job that won Coach of the Year for Pete’s sake.
Pastner has been a better basketball coach than I expected. Where he come up short of what was supposedly his strong suit is recruiting. Of course the NCAA violations cannot be completely separated from Pastner's management style. I am not close enough to the program know the inside story, but he should have had a better grip on the things under his authority.

Quibble all you want about lineups and tactics on the court. That is the purpose of a sports forum. We are where we are, but his game day decisions are not the biggest problem right now. The team is playing hard against more talented teams. A close call or two last night could have reversed that score.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You left out "when Hardy and LaBarrie were on the bench with him."
Okogie and Jackson and Lammers and Stephens also helped a lot that first year. But remember, after the ACC Tournament we were 17-15 overall. Okogie and Lammers turned out to be a lot better than anyone expected.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Okogie and Jackson and Lammers and Stephens also helped a lot that first year. But remember, after the ACC Tournament we were 17-15 overall. Okogie and Lammers turned out to be a lot better than anyone expected.

Okogie may have been better than expected under Gregory. Lammers would likely have been just a shot blocker under Gregory. The staff did a good job identifying his talent and putting him in a position to succeed.

It took Gregory 3 1/2 years to figure out MGH was better with the ball in his hands.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im looking at LaVall Jordan at Butler

Jordan was actually feeling a bit of warmth coming into the season. Next year would be a better indicator of whether or not he is a viable option after Baldwin and McDermott leave. He is also a Butler alum so he will most likely be looking for an extension after this success as opposed to a payday elsewhere.

I would love to snatch Pikiell from Rutgers or Ritchie McKay from Liberty. Matt McMahon would be on my long list as well. Hell.......id like to see Stansbury call Rick Pitino but it will never happen.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Jordan was actually feeling a bit of warmth coming into the season. Next year would be a better indicator of whether or not he is a viable option after Baldwin and McDermott leave. He is also a Butler alum so he will most likely be looking for an extension after this success as opposed to a payday elsewhere.

I would love to snatch Pikiell from Rutgers or Ritchie McKay from Liberty. Matt McMahon would be on my long list as well. Hell.......id like to see Stansbury call Rick Pitino but it will never happen.
I’d love Rick but no way in hell that happens especially with all the Ron Bell, NCAA stuff hanging over the program. OTOH most schools with balls would say screw it and do it but we’re not one of those schools. Lol

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This would be a tough pull. Butler has a better program in a top league and, I believe, he's an alum.
Ya you’re probably right.
I’m still stuck in the 90’s with our program sometimes and still hold it up there with the blue bloods. Unfortunately it’s not. It can be but it’s gonna take the right hire.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ya you’re probably right.
I’m still stuck in the 90’s with our program sometimes and still hold it up there with the blue bloods. Unfortunately it’s not. I can be but it’s gonna take the right hire.

I think for the most part expectations are pretty reasonable among the fanbase. We won’t ever be a blue blood but we should dance 3 out of 5 years.