Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
No way, hard pass on Ritchie McKay. What reason is there to think that he is ready for this job and the challenges that come with it? He has experience but has been very underwhelming with CSU, OSU, and New Mexico. If he's seriously in the running, we might as well just take a flyer on another up and coming mid-major coach...

Hitting in AA doesn't mean you're ready for the big leagues. We need someone who has shown they can win at a major level (and isn't getting run out of town by the current fans, eg Pastner). Pikiell has done a great job at Rutgers and would be a really good get. Steve Prohm (sort of on a hot seat at ISU and an exception to my above comment) would be a really good get. I would also like to see us go after Pitino...doesn't seem realistic given the baggage, but I still think he would be home run hire. Shoot, look no further than Auburn to see what can happen when a coach with baggage gets a second chance lol
I love the Pitino idea but our NCAA mess will turn the GTAA/Alum or boosters off with his baggage. Now if we were a school with some balls like Auburn we’d say screw it and give it a shot. But we’re not that school....

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
2015-16 CBG last year 21-15
2016-17 CJP First year 21-16 (with CBG team)

Since then it has been a Dumpster Fire.....With his BFF Ron Bell and all of that drama he brought with him....CJP is in over his head and he always has been, ask the Memphis folks what they think about him....IIWII

And we give a crap what people in Memphis think why?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rutgers wisely locked up Pikiell.

Prohm is a good candidate for multiple reasons. He's a name on my tracker.

@GTsports1819 - I'd be thrilled to land the proven high major level winner you describe, but that's either gonna take the kind of investment I've described earlier or a harsh dose of reality when it doesn't happen for budgetary reasons.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Unless the NCAA denies our appeal and Stansbury decides to fire CJP with cause (possible, but unlikely), he is going to be our coach next year. So, speculation about who might replace him is very premature.

That's your take. Sure, he probably comes back next year, but this thread is called "Coaching Carousel 5." So it seems more than fitting to discuss potential prospects and how we can realistically get there

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Due to cheapness of a lot of our fan base, I think CJP (especially after what appears to be a good recruiting year this year) will be here at least thru 2022. I hope much longer than that because that would mean things turned around.

If we make a change at some point, I don’t see us hiring a well known, successful coach from a major conference or a Butler type school. We will still be a cheap fan base, we can’t make another stupid hire by assumption, and being in ACC might not be that big of an attraction IN OUR CASE right now.

It most likely will have to be a CBC type hire. Not from the standpoint of how we turned out under him because that was a miracle given where we were back then. I never knew one single person saying on the day we hired Bobby that we would end up where we did. Only thing I can figure is Homer knew Bobby could recruit. And that is, relatively, about the same place we will be again.

But being in the ATL & the ACC still should give us a program where not getting into the NCAA every year is more of a surprise than not. This program can be a duke. All that is required is a little more support.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Unless the NCAA denies our appeal and Stansbury decides to fire CJP with cause (possible, but unlikely), he is going to be our coach next year. So, speculation about who might replace him is very premature.

Beyond unlikely. NCAA didn't hold Pastner personally responsible for Bell and DLab's violations. No lack of institutional control, either. So fire for cause, you lose that case every time.

That said, it is perfectly reasonable as fans to want to discuss alternatives beyond next year. Any other fanbase would.

slugboy

Staff member
Beyond unlikely. NCAA didn't hold Pastner personally responsible for Bell and DLab's violations. No lack of institutional control, either. So fire for cause, you lose that case every time.

That said, it is perfectly reasonable as fans to want to discuss alternatives beyond next year. Any other fanbase would.

I hope we can all agree that "'cause we want someone else" or "'cause we don't think you're up to the job" is not "firing with cause" (unless we started writing a different class of contracts than anyone else in CBB)

The NCAA report that came with the sanctions kind of had their cake and ate it too--according to them, Pastner should not have given Bell that kind of access to the program and acted inappropriately in doing so, but they're deflecting blame at the same time. A good lawyer might be able to do quite a bit with inconsistencies just within the report itself, but the bigger need is to show inconsistencies in the application to different schools, which they should also be able to do.
giphy.gif

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Rutgers wisely locked up Pikiell.

Prohm is a good candidate for multiple reasons. He's a name on my tracker.

@GTsports1819 - I'd be thrilled to land the proven high major level winner you describe, but that's either gonna take the kind of investment I've described earlier or a harsh dose of reality when it doesn't happen for budgetary reasons.

I agree, we will have to pay the price to bring in a good coach. I think you cited 7 yrs $21M for Chris Mack, and that seems around what we will need to provide for someone of that caliber. Possibly more given the challenging aspects of the job...

But say we don't land the "home run hire." I really think there are other good options. What about someone like Mike Anderson? He has made the tournament ~60% of the time during his career (I think 3/8 at Arkansas though). He's from the Southeast, has coached at multiple schools in the region. Has been to the elite 8. And he probably won't cost as much as someone like Chris Mack. We just have to be willing to explore all of our options. Including how we manage our funds/budget

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I agree, we will have to pay the price to bring in a good coach. I think you cited 7 yrs $21M for Chris Mack, and that seems around what we will need to provide for someone of that caliber. Possibly more given the challenging aspects of the job...

But say we don't land the "home run hire." I really think there are other good options. What about someone like Mike Anderson? He has made the tournament ~60% of the time during his career (I think 3/8 at Arkansas though). He's from the Southeast, has coached at multiple schools in the region. Has been to the elite 8. And he probably won't cost as much as someone like Chris Mack. We just have to be willing to explore all of our options. Including how we manage our funds/budget
I kinda feel the same way. Not necessarily Anderson, who I’m not opposed to but even a guy like Frank Martin or someone that needs a change possibly and make a lateral move to try and restart their career. That’s probably the direction we’ll end up having to go because if 1) money and 2) the NCAA stuff and honestly the job isn’t what it once was. But you’d have to think the lure of the city/state recruiting wise and the ACC should draw interest but then again the same thing was said about the job 10 years ago .....
If and when the time comes it has to be a perfect hire or it could send us back another 10 years.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I kinda feel the same way. Not necessarily Anderson, who I’m not opposed to but even a guy like Frank Martin or someone that needs a change possibly and make a lateral move to try and restart their career. That’s probably the direction we’ll end up having to go because if 1) money and 2) the NCAA stuff and honestly the job isn’t what it once was. But you’d have to think the lure of the city/state recruiting wise and the ACC should draw interest but then again the same thing was said about the job 10 years ago .....
If and when the time comes it has to be a perfect hire or it could send us back another 10 years.
Exactly. I think Martin is making ~$3M per year. But the point remains that there are coaches out there who are substantially better than what we have come up with in the last 2 cycles. Even Capel seems like he is on track to be significantly better than Pastner. At some point we have to get over this "learned helplessness" and believe that we can land a high quality coach

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Due to cheapness of a lot of our fan base, I think CJP (especially after what appears to be a mediocre recruiting year this year) will be here at least thru 2022. I hope much longer than that because that would mean things turned around.

If we make a change at some point, I don’t see us hiring a well known, successful coach from a major conference or a Butler type school. We will still be a cheap fan base, we can’t make another stupid hire by assumption, and being in ACC might not be that big of an attraction IN OUR CASE right now.

It most likely will have to be a CBC type hire. Not from the standpoint of how we turned out under him because that was a miracle given where we were back then. I never knew one single person saying on the day we hired Bobby that we would end up where we did. Only thing I can figure is Homer knew Bobby could recruit. And that is, relatively, about the same place we will be again.

But being in the ATL & the ACC still should give us a program where not getting into the NCAA every year is more of a surprise than not. This program can be a duke. All that is required is a little more support.

This incoming class ranking should be the floor of where recruiting should be. Otherwise I agree that we can be much better than we are. I don't think we can or will be Duke, but we can be a very good team that consistently makes the tourney.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This incoming class ranking should be the floor of where recruiting should be. Otherwise I agree that we can be much better than we are. I don't think we can or will be Duke, but we can be a very good team that consistently makes the tourney.
Speaking of Duke I am really curious to see what that becomes post Coach K. If they keep it a Duke guy the only ones I can think of are Capel and Brey that have shown any ability to coach. And the jury is still out on Capel

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Mack got that 7 year deal, partially due to the Louisville sanctions looming, but there's additional investment on top of that.

With the caveat that I 100% believe we will and should, for monetary reasons, keep CJP through at least next year, as well as a statement that I'm fine keeping him, if he starts producing Ws at a high clip, here's the current list I'm tracking:
  • Earl Grant - College of Charleston
  • James Jones - Yale
  • Kenny Payne - Kentucky assistant
  • Luke Murray - Louisville assistant (admittedly, I want Bill Murray to attend our games)
  • Mike Pegues - Louisville assistant
  • Mike Rhoades - VCU
  • Mike Schrage - Elon (there are reasons here)
  • Nathan Davis - Bucknell (credit to @Peacone36 for this)
  • Ron Hunter - Tulane
  • Shaka Smart - Texas (I have personal bias here)
  • Steve Forbes - ETSU
  • Steve Prohm - Iowa State
  • Wes Miller - UNCG
  • Darrell Walker - UALR (credit to Coaching Changes Twitter for this one)
Regardless of who we hire next, break the ****ing bank to bring in Jonas Hayes as an assistant/Associate Head Coach.

Keep BJ Elder on staff in some capacity.

Finally, after the show cause is over, and I know we won't do this, re-hire DLaB. Immediately. Without hesitation.

I would love to go get a proven, high major winner, but get me a proven winner who can recruit that seeks to use us as a stepping stone, comes in and wins, then everyone is happy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes it is, item #2 in particular to me seems broad, but you might mean 4, 5, and 6.

Unfortunately most of the interest is gone due to GT clearing Pastner in their own investigation and the NCAA not naming him in the NOA

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unfortunately most of the interest is gone due to GT clearing Pastner in their own investigation and the NCAA not naming him in the NOA
IIRC, GT's investigation cleared Pastner in his dispute with RB's charges, but that did nothing with regard to the violations of NCAA rules.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, GT's investigation cleared Pastner in his dispute with RB's charges, but that did nothing with regard to the violations of NCAA rules.

Yeah, the GT investigation was more towards #2 about being involved in conduct that hurts the universities reputation. Sexual assault rises to that level. Nothing else about the situation does though, no matter what some desperate posters might want to argue.

The NCAA investigation not naming him is what makes 4 not likely, and 5 doesn't hold because we did report in a timely manner (and not being named in the NOA will also probably go to that point).

here's the current list I'm tracking:

I'll be honest, that list seems fairly underwhelming to me. There's a handful that I'd be okay with and think would have a decent chance of doing well but I'm not sure I'd be overly excited about any of them.