Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

Jesus, when dtm and kg are on the same page you know someone's really wrong. Let's just get Red in here and complete the trifecta.

Anyways here's a link to an AJC article, yes yes I know, about our financial situation.
link

The linked chart was nice, but it hardly give a clear picture of the overall situation. And I doubt many posters here have much of any insight into the overall picture of GT's financials. I certainly don't, but there are a couple of posters who in the past have proven to have those kind of insights, and one's posting in this topic.

Again just because these two message boards warriors agree is irrelevant. TheAnonymous404 is able to form my own opinions with the backing from my online pen pals. I believe we deserve change and better basketball.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
@dtm1997 doesn't really need someone to defend him, but I do know he has met with people in the GTAA, has met with Stansbury, and pledged quite a bit of money. What have you done besides demand a coach be fired?
I’ll take a meeting with Stansbury. How do I get said meeting? Oh..., right.... should have kept reading... probably related to that next part about pledging quite a bit of money. Does buying $40 worth of hotdogs times 20 home games count? Probably not. Never mind.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Guess you gave up on the other argument since you got your know-it-all *** handed to you...LOL

The interesting part of your “big man, superior, language that you use in social media,” wouldn’t be so bold in person. The majority of fans in this forum want Tech to win every game. There are a few who want Pastner to lose, in order to find someone who cares about winning. I can think of 2 million reasons he has a smile at these press conferences, while we take another “L.”

I went ahead and looked. Maybe you should understand what current operations means and how $16MM from Tech Fund is applied. It literally means day to day paychecks for employees, maintenance expenditures for the stadiums/arenas, etc. It doesn't mean slush fund to go fire CJP. Also, if you think that money has gone anywhere else besides the Geoff Collins transition, you really don't know how these things work.

The cute one-liner is the truth. Your entire idea is "fire the coach". What is your plan and how are you contributing?

How much are we gonna have to pay a coach to come in here and win? With an unfortunate perception of academic hurdles (I personally believe are somewhat overblown) and a ****ty budget? And the specter of NCAA recruiting sanctions for the next several years?

If you'd like a comp, Louisville gave Chris Mack, a coach that didn't give his former AD that hired him at Xavier the time of day when we had an opening, a 7-year, $21MM contract.

Even if you're starting point is hiring the best up & coming mid-major for $1.5MM-$2MM/year for 5 years, then tack on Pastner's approx. $4.7MM buyout, plus assume you really need to pay more than $1MM to assistants (that's a 5 year commitment that grows), plus add the bells & whistles, you're basically at the low-end of my range at $25MM. That's if you want to roll the dice on an up & coming mid-major coach. Where do you have to be if you want to go make a splash and hire a truly proven coach that can win?

Also, your comment about a new coach driving increased interest is pretty obvious. Of course, it will. That said, it doesn't matter without the committed investment because if we don't spend like other ACC schools and, at this point, SEC schools, we're gonna be right back here having these conversations in 5-6 years about the next flame-out.

Since I had to address your ardent defenders first, I will know turn my attention back to the financial discussions. The Athletics Initiative for 2020 was started in Jan 2018, and Colllins was hired in Dec 2018, this suggest that these funds are not set in stone. As per the slush funds comment, clearly how these funds are distributed are more fluid than they appear. The maintenance costs of which you speak (overhead etc) is already covered in the $12 million dollar budget. The excess $14 million may have gone to football quite literally as a "slush fund" for the new hire and staff. My point is we found the money for football. Why can't we find the money for basketball? The "bells and whistles" are at least partially accounted for in this budget by the pledged $3.5 million to the basketball locker room.

Back to the idea that we need $25-40MM for the next regime. You cited Chris Mack at 21MM over 7 years. So he's making ~$1MM more than pastner per season...It's a long term contract. So we don't need to conjure up $25-40MM out of thin air. My point is this program has enough money to not have to be in the cellar of the ACC.

Guess you gave up on the other argument since you got your know-it-all *** handed to you...LOL

Regardless of how bad you (and others) want to see a change, it doesn't make sense from a dollars and cents perspective.

Our situation is not great, but it could be a lot worse. Why make the problem worse by starting over with someone that isn't likely to be successful.

Speaking of big bold language on social media LOL! I'm not going to be silenced just because a few people who post too frequently disagree with me. My point is this program has more money than most people think. I don't want to just settle for Pastner because I am afraid of the next coach failing (whoever that may be). Also, get some thicker skin buddy. Don't feel the need to edit posts multiple times. Just spit it out. My life will go on just fine I assure you.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The extra money you pay a guy like Chris Mack, you make back 10 fold.
In his example, he’s gone to the NCAA Tournament 9 of the last 10 coaching years.
Three Sweet 16’s and an Elite 8.
But the extra money you pay a Hewitt cripples you for years to come. The issue is that a guy like Mack got a 7 year deal....if we do something like that and pick the wrong guy (again)......

But the extra money you pay a Hewitt cripples you for years to come. The issue is that a guy like Mack got a 7 year deal....if we do something like that and pick the wrong guy (again)......

At this point what do we have to lose? The Hewitt contract was poorly structured. Hopefully, we have learned our lesson. We shouldn't live in fear of what may or may not happen and ignore the product in front of our eyes. At this point, we know what Pastner is if we are honest with ourselves.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
That’s not being positive. You stay with what we have another season, you make the job more difficult to take on. I don’t see the energy in this program. The GT crowd is not leaving, although some will hibernate. We only want an infusion of excitement.

The AD who gave Hewitt that ridiculous lifetime deal is not an AD these days. Those contracts are not the norm. We shouldn’t pay forever for one mistake, and become the cellar dweller, while the VT’s, FSU’s, Miami’s, UVA’s, put us in their dust.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’re living in a time period where many are clamoring for instant gratification. Well, it rarely exists & more people have personally significantly damaged/destroyed themselves- careers, finances, relationships, etc trying to get it than have grabbed the brass ring. Unfortunately, huge success is normally ground out day by day not won like buying a lottery ticket & hitting the jackpot.

We’re living in a time period where many are clamoring for instant gratification. Well, it rarely exists & more people have personally significantly damaged/destroyed themselves- careers, finances, relationships, etc trying to get it than have grabbed the brass ring. Unfortunately, huge success is normally ground out day by day not won like buying a lottery ticket & hitting the jackpot.

I think you are overthinking this one. Where is the day by day improvement? There has been no progress in 4 years, some may argue we have gotten worse. Do you really think we are going to have huge success? I mean seriously come on. This is a sports blog not some philosophy website. I think we can fire a basketball coach, and the sun will still rise tomorrow.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to thank the brilliant Deeznuts for proving my point about there being too many penpals on this forum. Love the aside, but this is just a distraction from the purpose of this discussion. The reality is we haven't sniffed the Tourney in 10 years, and it's time for change #FirePastner

Got it, now I have a sense of your contributions. I'm assuming you haven't been to a game this year either.

Got it, now I have a sense of your contributions. I'm assuming you haven't been to a game this year either.

I have been to multiple games, and I am not satisfied with the product on the court. I'm sure you are one of the big donors that single handedly will save this program with a keen nose for people's contributions. Get off your high horse man you might fall and hit that keen nose of yours.

By the way, let's get something straight. No matter how much you contribute you're not the only Tech fan. Your elitist attitude is part of the problem. You fandom isn't defined by a dollar sign. It's a collective effort as a fan base to commit the funds and support necessary to have a good program. I'm sure your money isn't loud enough to silence the UVA chants I heard at the last game in McCamish.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Got it! It’s time to get the measuring sticks out and see who has the bigger....
We can't post on The Swarm until we reach enough A.T. points. Lol.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think you are overthinking this one. Where is the day by day improvement? There has been no progress in 4 years, some may argue we have gotten worse. Do you really think we are going to have huge success? I mean seriously come on. This is a sports blog not some philosophy website. I think we can fire a basketball coach, and the sun will still rise tomorrow.
I don’t like Pastner as a coach. We botched the coach hire & ended up with him.

There is no magical cure here. We need someone to come in & turn our basketball program around. This is not like football, because there’s been no success in a full decade. We need a quality hire & that will cost $$. You can argue basketball is easier to turnaround, but I’ll argue you have to be much better at talent evaluation & coaching individuals.

There are valid arguments that the longer we wait the harder the turnaround becomes. Hard to argue against that, but circumstances apparently do not make an imminent coaching change executable.

I don’t like our predicament, but I understand why Stansbury has failed to act. It’s pretty clear it’s a money thing.

Like you, I can only speculate and lack the $$ to influence anyone’s opinion worth influencing. Let’s hope we get what we want sooner rather than later.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like to thank the brilliant Deeznuts for proving my point about there being too many penpals on this forum. Love the aside, but this is just a distraction from the purpose of this discussion. The reality is we haven't sniffed the Tourney in 10 years, and it's time for change #FirePastner

You seem to have a disconnect between whether myself or others think Pastner remains the answer at head coach and the reality of how to go about properly making the investment in GT Hoops to create a winning program.

Having to suffer through a lame duck season under Pastner next year, if it means we get closer to financial viability of a well-funded program, will be worth the short term pain if it pays long term dividends.

If you don't understand that, start the GoFundMe to raise Pastner's buyout and I'll happily contribute. We'll also see how many others are ready to step forward and help.

You seem to have a disconnect between whether myself or others think Pastner remains the answer at head coach and the reality of how to go about properly making the investment in GT Hoops to create a winning program.

Having to suffer through a lame duck season under Pastner next year, if it means we get closer to financial viability of a well-funded program, will be worth the short term pain if it pays long term dividends.

If you don't understand that, start the GoFundMe to raise Pastner's buyout and I'll happily contribute. We'll also see how many others are ready to step forward and help.

I'm glad you agree Pastner has to go, and that it isn't a financially insurmountable task. The real question is how much money are we going to save by one lame duck season vs. the hit in recruiting, revenue and general support of the program? Is our program going to be drastically better off financially in one year? What about players transferring out of the program...