Coaching Carousel 5 - You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We have probably our best 3 game stretch since CJP became coach & we reinvigorate the HC search thread. I’m confused. Maybe somebody’s been in Tahiti for a couple of weeks & is now just catching up on the news?
We’re still losing , we’re 8-10 for crying out loud !

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. Plus a good recruiting class in 2020 that includes a 4* seven footer, a shooting guard with NBA pedigree, and a 6'-9" forward with other P5 offers. Plus the kids like CJP as indicated by the fact that no one jumped ship after the NCAA penalties when many predicted we would lose several starters and recruits. All this talk about about a coaching change at this stage is nothing more than pure bullsh*t.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
The recruiting class is ranked 43rd in the nation , not much to get excited about , pastner is in year 4 & we’re 8-10 , oh yeah so much to be thrilled about

Are we going to have a bunch of "Do we want Pastner?" posts after every loss this season? Jeez, we were short two guys who would be starting and hung pretty well with one of the best teams in the country. Like what happens in too many games, we had a stretch of a few minutes in the first half where we could not buy a basket from anywhere on the floor. That is not Pastner's fault. Otherwise we played Kentucky straight up.

I know @Peacone36 has never been a Pastner fan, so his poll is not out character. But what does it do for us as fans to be debating this so often.

Are we going to have a bunch of "Do we want Pastner?" posts after every loss this season? Jeez, we were short two guys who would be starting and hung pretty well with one of the best teams in the country. Like what happens in too many games, we had a stretch of a few minutes in the first half where we could not buy a basket from anywhere on the floor. That is not Pastner's fault. Otherwise we played Kentucky straight up.

I know @Peacone36 has never been a Pastner fan, so his poll is not out character. But what does it do for us as fans to be debating this so often.

Yes. It will continue until our demands are met, and we have a new coach. We simply deserve better.

@dtm1997 At over 11,000 messages, you might be a hostage yourself my friend, but I digress. Simply put, we deserve a better basketball team because this program has too much history for the women’s basketball team to be dominating the basketball thread.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dtm1997 At over 11,000 messages, you might be a hostage yourself my friend, but I digress. Simply put, we deserve a better basketball team because this program has too much history for the women’s basketball team to be dominating the basketball thread.

Do we deserve better basketball? Yes.

Does your post or anyone else's post here mean jack ****? No.

You want better basketball, figure out how to come up with a $25MM - $40MM committed investment in GT Men's basketball.

Until you or anyone else does that, posts like yours or anyone else's are just blustery, whiny bull****.

Also, the program's "history" comment is aggrandizement of the accomplishments. This isn't dook, UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas, etc.

Bobby had a nice run before the game changed on him. Hewitt was more solid than people like to give him credit for. BG was an awful, budget hire made by a lazy ****. Pastner sought us out after we got turned down left & right.

2 Final Fours are nice and we've had some great players get to the NBA, but the "program's history" platitudes are hollow, at this point.

Do we deserve better basketball? Yes.

Does your post or anyone else's post here mean jack ****? No.

You want better basketball, figure out how to come up with a $25MM - $40MM committed investment in GT Men's basketball.

Until you or anyone else does that, posts like yours or anyone else's are just blustery, whiny bull****.

Also, the program's "history" comment is aggrandizement of the accomplishments. This isn't dook, UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas, etc.

Bobby had a nice run before the game changed on him. Hewitt was more solid than people like to give him credit for. BG was an awful, budget hire made by a lazy ****. Pastner sought us out after we got turned down left & right.

2 Final Fours are nice and we've had some great players get to the NBA, but the "program's history" platitudes are hollow, at this point.

LOL I’m sure all 11,000+ of your posts are real program shakers and devoid of any whiny BS.

Pastner’s salary is worth ~$2 million a year through 2022-2023. I think my brilliant plan of firing Pastner and hiring another coach may come in a shade under the $25-40 million you so precisely calculated...not to mention the 2020 athletic’s initiative has over $111 million pledged. I have provided this link for your accounting convenience since you clearly influence this program more than me. https://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0

I’m not saying we will magically become a blue blood. I just think we can make the tournament more than once every 10 years. Georgia has too much talent for us to have a recruiting class ranked 120. When we beat a true blue blood like UNC, it shouldn’t cause Roy Williams to have a mental break down. I don’t think it is outlandish to voice concern and say we can be better than we currently are.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL I’m sure all 11,000+ of your posts are real program shakers and devoid of any whiny BS.

Pastner’s salary is worth ~$2 million a year through 2022-2023. I think my brilliant plan of firing Pastner and hiring another coach may come in a shade under the $25-40 million you so precisely calculated...not to mention the 2020 athletic’s initiative has over $111 million pledged. I have provided this link for your accounting convenience since you clearly influence this program more than me. https://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0

I’m not saying we will magically become a blue blood. I just think we can make the tournament more than once every 10 years. Georgia has too much talent for us to have a recruiting class ranked 120. When we beat a true blue blood like UNC, it shouldn’t cause Roy Williams to have a mental break down. I don’t think it is outlandish to voice concern and say we can be better than we currently are.

^This.
The truth is that a lot of people want to act as if we have no money and no resources to go out and get a coach that can make this team relevant again. It isn't a problem to point out real issues and disturbing trends with the direction of the program. We were told this team was good enough to make the tournament. They are 8-10 and it's late January, not to mention all of the off-the-court drama we've been dealing with. Plenty of other schools wouldn't have even stood by Pastner through that given the quality of play we've been seeing.

Forget the blue blood conversations. The bottom line is we should be able to be competitive and make the tournament on a regular basis. Not sure how anyone can argue with the expectation level and what we are watching at the moment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, you dudes have it all figured out.

But, before I pledge allegiance, one question. The reality is, technically, we've always had the money to make a proper investment in basketball yet we never have.

Somebody explain why that's gonna change now when, by all rights, the checkwriters have less incentive to do so than they've always had.

Man, you dudes have it all figured out.

But, before I pledge allegiance, one question. The reality is, technically, we've always had the money to make a proper investment in basketball yet we never have.

Somebody explain why that's gonna change now when, by all rights, the checkwriters have less incentive to do so than they've always had.

It’s not about having it all figured out. I’m just sick of the all the excuses and passionate fans being attacked for wanting change. This is a forum to talk about our beloved Men’s sports teams not a place to write pen pals about how everything is grand when we haven’t sniffed the tournament in a decade. Pastner has been here 4 years now, and I have seen no progress. Why change now? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It starts with the fans getting behind this program and believing we can be more than we are. Yes that takes money and commitment from the fans. Not grandiose BS financial estimates that spread misleading negativity from some +11000 message veteran of the fan board.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You left out our beloved Women’s sporting programs. They can do better, and have been showing progress.
Don’t make me have the Attorney for CMJ get after you. Lol.:)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Tell me about accounting for $111MM pledged dollars, but disregard where those funds are allocated.

From memory, without clicking your link, $70MM to the Edge Center, $4.5MM for each of 3 locker rooms, and $9MM for the baseball stadium. Almost $100MM to things that aren't men's basketball operations.

Also, note that I said committed investment. That includes the full value of a new head coach's contract, getting him a real staff with real recruiters, a proper support staff, and some additional bells and whistles. Do you want to waste $2MM firing CJP after this year or have $2MM more towards the investment by firing him next year?

I keep a list of CJP's potential replacements, but the half assed hoops program the prior 3 ADs left us needs to be improved, with a plan in place for the next 10, 20, 30 years. That comes from a direct commitment and investment in GT Men's hoops from the GTAA and GT fans.

You go on with your gas bag demands, while some of us work on real life plans.

Money talks, bull**** walks.

Tell me about accounting for $111MM pledged dollars, but disregard where those funds are allocated.

From memory, without clicking your link, $70MM to the Edge Center, $4.5MM for each of 3 locker rooms, and $9MM for the baseball stadium. Almost $100MM to things that aren't men's basketball operations.

Also, note that I said committed investment. That includes the full value of a new head coach's contract, getting him a real staff with real recruiters, a proper support staff, and some additional bells and whistles. Do you want to waste $2MM firing CJP after this year or have $2MM more towards the investment by firing him next year?

I keep a list of CJP's potential replacements, but the half assed hoops program the prior 3 ADs left us needs to be improved, with a plan in place for the next 10, 20, 30 years. That comes from a direct commitment and investment in GT Men's hoops from the GTAA and GT fans.

Maybe you should actually open the link and take a look.

Only $44 of this $111 million is dedicated the edge center. We have $26 million for operations with a goal of $12 million, so that lump sum by itself leaves an extra $14 million for operations. Since this goes far above what you seem capable of understanding I’ll spell it out: I am suggesting that we allocate some of that money (along with additional funds, donations, etc) toward the basketball program. Yes, it will cost money to pay a buyout and hire a new coach with the bells and whistles you speak of. But we can do it for under the $25-40 MM figure you cited. And as a matter of fact, the new hire may bring in additional revenue with increased interest from the fan base.

But hey, that’s a cute one-liner at the end. And I’m sure everyone in the AD’s office is dying to get their hands on your list as well as this 20-30 year master plan you’re working on.

You’re the one blowing hot air with empty ideas and the unfortunate part of it is some fans buy into this nonsense. They don’t think we can do better when the truth is we could

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow

But hey, that’s a cute one-liner at the end. And I’m sure everyone in the AD’s office is dying to get their hands on your list as well as this 20-30 year master plan you’re working on.

You’re the one blowing hot air with empty ideas and the unfortunate part of it is some fans buy into this nonsense. They don’t think we can do better when the truth is we could

@dtm1997 doesn't really need someone to defend him, but I do know he has met with people in the GTAA, has met with Stansbury, and pledged quite a bit of money. What have you done besides demand a coach be fired?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Only $44 of this $111 million is dedicated the edge center. We have $26 million for operations with a goal of $12 million, so that lump sum by itself leaves an extra $14 million for operations. Since this goes far above what you seem capable of understanding I’ll spell it out: I am suggesting that we allocate some of that money (along with additional funds, donations, etc) toward the basketball program. Yes, it will cost money to pay a buyout and hire a new coach with the bells and whistles you speak of. But we can do it for under the $25-40 MM figure you cited. And as a matter of fact, the new hire may bring in additional revenue with increased interest from the fan base.

I went ahead and looked. Maybe you should understand what current operations means and how $16MM from Tech Fund is applied. It literally means day to day paychecks for employees, maintenance expenditures for the stadiums/arenas, etc. It doesn't mean slush fund to go fire CJP. Also, if you think that money has gone anywhere else besides the Geoff Collins transition, you really don't know how these things work.

The cute one-liner is the truth. Your entire idea is "fire the coach". What is your plan and how are you contributing?

How much are we gonna have to pay a coach to come in here and win? With an unfortunate perception of academic hurdles (I personally believe are somewhat overblown) and a ****ty budget? And the specter of NCAA recruiting sanctions for the next several years?

If you'd like a comp, Louisville gave Chris Mack, a coach that didn't give his former AD that hired him at Xavier the time of day when we had an opening, a 7-year, $21MM contract.

Even if you're starting point is hiring the best up & coming mid-major for $1.5MM-$2MM/year for 5 years, then tack on Pastner's approx. $4.7MM buyout, plus assume you really need to pay more than $1MM to assistants (that's a 5 year commitment that grows), plus add the bells & whistles, you're basically at the low-end of my range at $25MM. That's if you want to roll the dice on an up & coming mid-major coach. Where do you have to be if you want to go make a splash and hire a truly proven coach that can win?

Also, your comment about a new coach driving increased interest is pretty obvious. Of course, it will. That said, it doesn't matter without the committed investment because if we don't spend like other ACC schools and, at this point, SEC schools, we're gonna be right back here having these conversations in 5-6 years about the next flame-out.