Coaching Carousel 4 - Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's insane that Moton hasn't gotten a better job by now, especially with all these jobs having opened in NC lately. Needs a new agent, maybe? Can't be waiting for some dream job to open, can he? I predict he jumps somewhere this cycle.

Your prediction carries no weight. Why don't you hold your horses until we get a better understanding of all the jobs opening?

#toldyou #bully

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT grad Winston Neal possibly getting a look at Kennesaw State. Has been really successful on the JuCo level, recruiting locally.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if Wake makes a move, that would be an interesting hire (still alot of chatter about whether Wake can swallow Manning's contract).
Young is actually older - 55 and spent his entire career at Wofford (13 yrs as asst 17 as HS).
Wofford is having a great year this season, but this would definitely not be a sexy hire.
Also tells me if that is the guy that Wake likely doesn't have alot of money to hire someone. Young is making less than $200K at Wofford.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is that good or bad for us? Seems like that'd be a pretty unimaginative hire.

Think about it this way... If Wake hires Mike Young, who has the better coach - GT or Wake?

if Wake makes a move, that would be an interesting hire (still alot of chatter about whether Wake can swallow Manning's contract).
Young is actually older - 55 and spent his entire career at Wofford (13 yrs as asst 17 as HS).
Wofford is having a great year this season, but this would definitely not be a sexy hire.
Also tells me if that is the guy that Wake likely doesn't have alot of money to hire someone. Young is making less than $200K at Wofford.

Up until this point it’s been pretty mediocre for Mike Young. His KenPom rankings won’t blow you away. Magee and Jackson are his studs as seniors. Personally I think Wes Miller is a better coach, but I’m fine with Wake hiring Young for sure.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Think about it this way... If Wake hires Mike Young, who has the better coach - GT or Wake?

That's kinda what I was getting at. Like why would they do that? Could probably get Miller or certainly Moton for not much more that they'd need to get the Wofford coach. Either would be sexier.

I'm fine with it since I'm not a Weak Florist fan but just, in the grand scheme of things, why? I'm feeling existential today, I guess.

ETA: It kinda goes to RR's overall point for us. If you can't afford to be in the game, don't be in the game. 'Cause gettin' in the game when you ain't ready actually puts you further back than you were.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's kinda what I was getting at. Like why would they do that? Could probably get Miller or certainly Moton for not much more that they'd need to get the Wofford coach. Either would be sexier.

I'm fine with it since I'm not a Weak Florist fan but just, in the grand scheme of things, why? I'm feeling existential today, I guess.

I didn't ask if he was a sexy pick or even best pick. I asked who you think had the better coach after a Mike Young hire at Wake.

I think Pastner has outperformed his reported coaching chops while recruiting below expectations, but I dont know if he's a better coach than Young.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Martelli was coach at St. Joe's back when I was in grad school in Philly. My apartment was on Cityline Ave about 2 miles from St. Joe's campus.
With Dunphy retiring at Temple (he was the HC at Penn when I was in Philly) that means 2 of the Big 5 in Philly are replacing coaches this year.
i will say one of my great thrills was seeing Big 5 games at the Palestra. That was an awesome atmosphere.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Sad to see Martelli go. I remember watching them when they were #1 with Jameer Nelson & Delonte West.

Two constants with St Joe's for many years: Martelli & their Hawk mascot flapping his wings the whole game

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not shocked by BC's decision. Just means they really don't care about basketball that much (it is at best the 3rd biggest sport at BC behind Hockey and FB).
There have been strong rumors that Bowman was planning on leaving after this season. Wonder if that will change. With him they could be a decent team next year as they lose only Chatman. Without him it will not be pretty.

Also means Felder stays with his commit to them. There has got to be an expectation they are going to win next year though as Bowman and Popovic would both be SR, as would transfer Jared Hamilton, who was starting later in the year ahead of his 4* FR brother Jarius Hamilton.

They also get their most impressive FR from this past year back in Wynston Tabbs who missed all but 3 ACC Games with an injury.

Wake is still the one to watch. if Manning comes back there is going to be a serious revolt in their fanbase. But if they fire him and hire someone like Young that isn't going to be exciting for them either. They have been hanging onto the rumor that they are going to fire Manning and then Smart is going to jump to them from TX to avoid the hot seat there next season.