Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Interested to see what ND ponies up for a coach who has made 1 Sweet Sixteen, 2 Elite Eights and 0 Final Fours in 18 years at the helm (granted the 2 best years came in the last 4).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you needed further evidence of the tone-deafness of MEM basketball, I present exhibit 422.4 ...

... I hope they hire him. My advice to the NCAA is just rent a small townhouse or apartment nearby rather than trying to book hotel rooms. You'll need to spend a lot of time in the area if Brown is involved.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Interested to see what ND ponies up for a coach who has made 1 Sweet Sixteen, 2 Elite Eights and 0 Final Fours in 18 years at the helm (granted the 2 best years came in the last 4).
It took me a couple secs to figure out how he could have made a 1 sweet 16 but two elite 8s before I caught on :)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It took me a couple secs to figure out how he could have made a 1 sweet 16 but two elite 8s before I caught on :)
Yea, poorly worded. To your point, a better way of saying it is that ND only got as far as the sweet 16 in 3 out of 18 seasons with Brey. And that happened only once in the first 14 years. Only in the last 4 years did they break thru twice to the Elite 8 (and then lose).

Are we willing to wait 15 years for "get old, stay old" to turn into an Elite 8? Not saying I would prefer our last 10 years, but I have higher expectations once we get out of financial doom. Hot Take: I believe we have as much if not more potential than ND.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
At 57 with Nova firing on all cylinders- and being a Philly guy - will be interesting to see if he pulls the trigger for a couple of mill per year

He is already set for life

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At 57 with Nova firing on all cylinders- and being a Philly guy - will be interesting to see if he pulls the trigger for a couple of mill per year

He is already set for life

Would they really consider David Blatt? Jay Wright would be a dream fit for the Knicks.

Their style of play (high volume 3pt shooting) is what the NBA is all about right now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I see it from the Knick's perspective. Dream fit it is.
I just wonder if a 57 year old guy set to compete for another couple of National Championships with absolutely no one looking over his shoulder wants the "junk" that would come with being the Knicks coach in a down period.

I don't know the NBA coaching circles all that well but Blatt, Van Gunde and Mark Jackson are the names I keep hearing. Jackson makes a little sense (the other 2 not so much) but if I am the Knicks' GM I am putting every story I can out about Wright being the next coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Would they really consider David Blatt? Jay Wright would be a dream fit for the Knicks.

Their style of play (high volume 3pt shooting) is what the NBA is all about right now.

Blatt is actually a good coach, was totally miscast for the CLeBrons.

Wright to NY would simply be a money-grab for him IMHO. A guy like that doesn't go to a place with poor management structure due to the fact that he knows they won't win right away and it's highly likely he'd be fired sooner than deserved.

Names thrown out on NBARadio have been: Fitzdale, Wright (acknowledged as unlikely), Jerry Stackhouse (hot name believe it or not), Jackson and J. Van Gundy.

Best hires IMHO: Van Gundy (short-term, culture-setter), Blatt and Stackhouse - look into what he's done the last few years as a coach, he's actually put in the work.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Blatt is actually a good coach, was totally miscast for the CLeBrons.

Wright to NY would simply be a money-grab for him IMHO. A guy like that doesn't go to a place with poor management structure due to the fact that he knows they won't win right away and it's highly likely he'd be fired sooner than deserved.

Names thrown out on NBARadio have been: Fitzdale, Wright (acknowledged as unlikely), Jerry Stackhouse (hot name believe it or not), Jackson and J. Van Gundy.

Best hires IMHO: Van Gundy (short-term, culture-setter), Blatt and Stackhouse - look into what he's done the last few years as a coach, he's actually put in the work.
Remember when Hewitt was being looked at by the Knicks?.........

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Remember when Hewitt was being looked at by the Knicks?.........
He may have been offered for all we know.

I can say with a reasonable level of certainty that he also accepted the St. John's job, and Dan Rad convinced him to stay at GT, only to fire him the next year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've never really had the problems with Hewitt that many do.

I admit that he made both strategic & tactical errors, especially near the end, but whether people like it or not, he put together the ingredients that landed us in a National Championship game.

That said, it was clear that it needed to end at least a year before it did and that lazy piece of **** now at Clemson really screwed things up. Just a total moron. I'm really hoping Brownell, who I do think is a solid coach, gets a fat extension and then reverts to his prior track record, leaving LazyAD with an albatross around his neck.