Coaching Carousel 3 - Burn It All Down Edition

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is not HC related and not something that is that rare (Pastner did it with Lawson) but Andy Enfield is hiring Eric Mobley to replace Tony Bland on his staff.
Mobley's claim to fame is that he has coached the Compton Magic AAU program for 11 yrs and his 2 sons are Top 40 players in the class of 2019 and 2020 respectively.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...two-top-40-recruits-to-be-an-assistant-coach/

FWIW, I spent 3 days last week in a training with Jordan Usher's father. Didn't realize who it was until Thur when he mentioned his son was a FR on the USC basketball team. Jordan spent his first 3 years of HS at Sequoyah HS in Cherokee county before playing his SR yr at Wheeler.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't expect people to take that feed too seriously. I do think Pitt sports media is delusional.

I figure it's mainly entertainment so I just think it's funny when people get all hot 'n bothered about what you say on that feed. See what I did there? :cool:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What I don't get about Pitt search.
if Scheyer is a serious candidate then why not hire Brandin Knight and get on with it. it would certainly be better received by the fanbase and he likely has more contacts in the NE for recruiting purposes.

Exactly my thoughts

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt is simply not an overly attractive job right now, even with some (though not abundant) history.
You have at team that was not prepared to be an ACC level team this past season due to turnover. The most promising players may be hard to keep there.
They fired the previous coach after 2 seasons. Attendance is way down.
You have nothing on the roster yet that looks like big time ACC talent, though a couple of nice pieces if given time.
Any rebuild is likely a 4 yr+ job and their is a real chance you could go winless in season 1.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pitt is simply not an overly attractive job right now, even with some (though not abundant) history.
You have at team that was not prepared to be an ACC level team this past season due to turnover. The most promising players may be hard to keep there.
You have nothing on the roster yet that looks like big time ACC talent, though a couple of nice pieces if given time.
Any rebuild is likely a 4 yr+ job and their is a real chance you could go winless in season 1.

Which is exactly the environment a talented former SA would work for the AD. Wouldn't lose the fanbase unless he was an abject failure on multiple levels. All he'd have to do is be competitive and restock the cupboards. Next thing you know, he's 2+ years in and ready to start winning at some level.

Hiring a guy like Scheyer would start the proverbial clock, in fans' eyes, from day 1. Minimal success early would be a killer. That's why I'd be surprised if Kryschowieski actually endorsed Scheyer going to Pitt. If anything, it seems like it would be a situation where they (Duke) floated his name out for future job purposes. Kinda get his name 'out there' for next job season.

That makes more sense to me.

ETA:

Step 1 to Mack-to-Lville?:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, is Jonas a former HC? Asking for a friend ...

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/tom-crean-im-not-going-to-rush-things-on-my-staff/
“I’m not going to rush things on my staff,” Crean said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “At Indiana, I one time had three former head coaches on my staff and another time I had five former head coaches on my staff. I loved that. I’m not sure if it’s going to be the same way here, but I’m going to look very carefully at it and I’m not going to rush it.”

Interesting.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
sounds familiar.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just heard on XM's ACC Network with Mark Packer and Tom Brennan sitting in for Wes that they think Pitt may be making a run at the Loyola coach and that's who they are waiting for. No real inside info, but just their thought on how long it is dragging out. Had a long discussion on the Pitt program, who would take the job, etc. and that was just a name they threw out and were wondering if that may be the case. Read yesterday that Jon Sheyer from Duke had either turned it down or withdrawn his name from consideration. That's a 30 year old assistant who doesn't want the job. It will be interesting to see who they wind up with and how many of the players they can keep for next year, which may be another winless ACC season.

Did I read on here that they are nearly out of on campus visits for this year, which would make it really tough to recruit players to back fill those that are planning on transferring?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Clark - Jonas would be a perfect HC for you.

Seems he should go ahead and cut his teeth at W. Carolina. LaBarrie would be great for Clark Atlanta. Party foul on you for that omission, RR. ;)

I'm sure that you could say the same thing about GT alums.

You could say the same thing about any cross-section of society but this is GTSwarm so we only say it about dawgs. Geez, c62.