Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nice. But you're .... oh, I mean ... Overrating him, you are.

If he's so great, explain the last 2 years. Not just the results, that could simply be the process. But they've been worse than bad overall.

No denying the first few have been disappointing but I think if he revamps his staff (Chad Dollar is on staff!!!) they have the players and certainly the opportunity in that conference to win a lot of games

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pearl to UGA would be fine because that consolidates competition and Auburn may have trouble getting that caliber of coach that could recruit Georgia the second time around. I don't see it, but it could go that way.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a total aside, please click through and vote justified...

I may have been the former leader of the CJP haters, but I've long since seen the light. Screw these folks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why is all the hate directed at Fox? He isn't on the NIT bubble like we are and and he has two 4-star recruits coming in. I am not sure uga can find a better coach for their program. They simply have very little hoops history and play in a terrible facility in a town with no basketball culture. Their ceiling ought to be a lot lower than ours and he seems to be right at that point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why is all the hate directed at Fox? He isn't on the NIT bubble like we are and and he has two 4-star recruits coming in. I am not sure uga can find a better coach for their program. They simply have very little hoops history and play in a terrible facility in a town with no basketball culture. Their ceiling ought to be a lot lower than ours and he seems to be right at that point.

What like 8 years, no NCAA wins? That gets you fired at most places that take bball seriously.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Early on in their tenure's the big name hires in the SEC haven't really made a mark yet - though maybe they will in the future.

At Miss St, Howland took over a program that was 13-19 the year before and has gone 14-17 and 16-15 (with a game today against AL) in his 2 yrs with a best conference finish of 11th. No postseason

At Auburn Pearl took over a program that had just gone 14-16 and has gone 15-20, 11-20 and 18-14 in 3 years with a high conference finish of 11th. Might get to the NIT this season, no postseason 1st 2 yrs. Next year is a big year for Pearl.

At TN, Barnes took over a program that had gone 16-16 the year before he arrived and has gone 15-19 and 16-16 (after the UGA loss today) with a high finish of 9th and no postseason.

Avery Johnson at AL has probably been the best so far with season of 18-15 with an NIT appearance last season and so far 17-13 this season. Finished tied for 5th this season in the SEC.
Note that Anthony Grant was 19-15 his last season at AL, so you can't really say Johnson has done any better.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Peacone36 is unimpressed with those facts, RR. He's just in love with Howland and Pearl. Throw W. Kentucky's middling results in there for the trio of Peac Coach Crushes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hey, who the hell wants to live in Starkville? You look at Howland at UCLA and Pitt and tell me you don't want those results in ATL

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, who the hell wants to live in Starkville? You look at Howland at UCLA and Pitt and tell me you don't want those results in ATL

Whoa, you've been telling us for 3 years, where Howland goes the champagne flows. I've been to Starkville. It's only slightly less desireable to live in than southern CA. Slightly.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Early on in their tenure's the big name hires in the SEC haven't really made a mark yet - though maybe they will in the future.

At Miss St, Howland took over a program that was 13-19 the year before and has gone 14-17 and 16-15 (with a game today against AL) in his 2 yrs with a best conference finish of 11th. No postseason

At Auburn Pearl took over a program that had just gone 14-16 and has gone 15-20, 11-20 and 18-14 in 3 years with a high conference finish of 11th. Might get to the NIT this season, no postseason 1st 2 yrs. Next year is a big year for Pearl.

At TN, Barnes took over a program that had gone 16-16 the year before he arrived and has gone 15-19 and 16-16 (after the UGA loss today) with a high finish of 9th and no postseason.

Avery Johnson at AL has probably been the best so far with season of 18-15 with an NIT appearance last season and so far 17-13 this season. Finished tied for 5th this season in the SEC.
Note that Anthony Grant was 19-15 his last season at AL, so you can't really say Johnson has done any better.
The fans on Volnation are calling for Rick Barnes head. I think Rick Barnes very well could retire following the 2017-2018 Basketball season since it seems he's not putting much effort into coaching or recruiting and he is around 65 I believe.