Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So... probably better than us again as our rebuild continues?

Wait, I didn't say we'd be better than them. I said they're not the elite team folks seem to identify them as.

You trying to change up the argument on me?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wait, I didn't say we'd be better than them. I said they're not the elite team folks seem to identify them as.

You trying to change up the argument on me?

Where did anyone use the word elite in terms of UVA?

I didn't say that and Peacone said they'd be "good".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Where did anyone use the word elite in terms of UVA?

I didn't say that and Peacone said they'd be "good".

I wasn't accusing anyone here. However, I think the national narrative on UVA is that they're on an elite level. I think that's overstating things.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wasn't accusing anyone here. However, I think the national narrative on UVA is that they're on an elite level. I think that's overstating things.
Their incoming class is very thin right now and those four remaining guys are ok players, but none are really good. I think the jury is still out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think the narrative is they are elite defensively and efficient enough on offense to win games. He's got some recruiting to do to be better than a 5-7 seed next year for sure.

Also remember they lost a probable all American before the season started this year and were still a 4 (or 5) seed this year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

There's no way that was the narrative this year. They have an elite coach. Doesn't mean he can't have seasons that aren't elite.

They were bottom of top 25 heading in to tourney. Currently 13th in kenpom. Had a modest NCAAT seed, where they won a game. Struggled on offense at times because of youth and a single go to player.

I don't think anyone was calling them elite this year.

Doesn't mean they don't have a lot of highly talented kids on their roster with adequate depth to run Bennett's system.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's no way that was the narrative this year. They have an elite coach. Doesn't mean he can't have seasons that aren't elite.

They were bottom of top 25 heading in to tourney. Currently 13th in kenpom. Had a modest NCAAT seed, where they won a game. Struggled on offense at times because of youth and a single go to player.

I don't think anyone was calling them elite this year.

Doesn't mean they don't have a lot of highly talented kids on their roster with adequate depth to run Bennett's system.

Aaaand that's what I disagree with. Why are we still arguing?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Aaaand that's what I disagree with. Why are we still arguing?

You don't think Tony Bennett is an elite coach?

IMG_1346.GIF

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Their incoming class is very thin right now and those four remaining guys are ok players, but none are really good. I think the jury is still out.

Hall & Wilkins are ok. Salt shut down Lammers.

Diakite, Guy & Jerome were inconsistent, but had huge games displaying their talent as freshmen and are expected to break out next year.

They redshirted a 4* scoring fwd with great length and a 6-11 dead eye shooter that was unknown during his AAU summer and being called a 5* by Jerry Meyer & Justin Young 6 months later.

Jury's still out to call them OK. We're talking about UVA where kids are developed, not Kentucky's 1 & dones. A lot of talent their to mold.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Im a huge fan of Bennett. Also a huge fan of Brey, Buzz Williams, & Larranaga.

Heavy VA bias? Has Smart fallen off your list, btw?

I don't like many college coaches that much. I do like Larranaga though. I have to hate him since it's UM, but yeah I like what he's got going.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And the logic continues

Ewing to meet with Georgetown officials today http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...georgetown-hoyas-officials-head-coach-vacancy

FYI - I am being told that Big John Thompson was still making a million per year from Georgetown. Wonder if he got fired too?

I actually read something yesterday that Thompson is working with the search firm they are using in more of a capacity than their AD whose name escapes me right now. Also in that article was a reference that one of their candidates that they offered openly stated concern and inquired about Jrs future involvement with the program before declining. I don't think it was Mack or Shaka. Appears he isn't going anywhere anytime soon

ETA: Here is that article

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I actually read something yesterday that Thompson is working with the search firm they are using in more of a capacity than their AD whose name escapes me right now. Also in that article was a reference that one of their candidates that they offered openly stated concern and inquired about Jrs future involvement with the program before declining. I don't think it was Mack or Shaka. Appears he isn't going anywhere anytime soon

ETA: Here is that article

I think Smart is a better fit at GTown than TX. I kinda hope he takes it. Always root for chaos, Peac.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think Smart is a better fit at GTown than TX. I kinda hope he takes it. Always root for chaos, Peac.

I'd agree with that actually. If Shaka turned down $4MM, I think that that's his pride getting in the way.

Maybe he loves Texas though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd agree with that actually. If Shaka turned down $4MM, I think that that's his pride getting in the way.

Maybe he loves Texas though.

Agreed. I don't think Gtown should be paying that much for their coach if the rumors of their money issues are accurate. "Issues" in that they don't want/need to devote that much to a coach, not "issues" in that they don't have it.

This brings up something I grapple with every now and then: Kristen Wiig...cute or not?

She has her moments for me, but it could be that she's funny.

She falls in the category of 'cute because she's on tv but, in reality, probably not that cute'. I think we all tend to overrate those we see on tv, but if she lived next door you probably wouldn't mind borrowing a cup of sugar but you probably wouldn't actively pursue that cup o' sugar. If you follow. :D