Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. Dayton shld get a guy like McCall or Kelsey. Their m.o. is hiring up and coming guys not semi-failed retreads.
McCall just took the UMass job which Kelsey took and changed his mind on last week. And Kelsey may owe UMass a buyout because he apparently signed the contract before reneging.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
McCall just took the UMass job which Kelsey took and changed his mind on last week. And Kelsey may owe UMass a buyout because he apparently signed the contract before reneging.

Yeah I know. That's why I said a guy 'like' them two. An up and comer type.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I know. That's why I said a guy 'like' them two. An up and comer type.

Heard something interesting on a Podcast this week. Apparently Kelsey walked away from the profession for a short time in recent years? He doesnt sound like a real stable guy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Heard something interesting on a Podcast this week. Apparently Kelsey walked away from the profession for a short time in recent years? He doesnt sound like a real stable guy.

Uh, dig deeper into that. Also google his wife and a former Xavier player (Tu Holloway) and reasons why he no longer wanted to be on that staff. Sounds like he's probably stable but his life-mate may not be. Just a vicious rumor but a rumor nonetheless.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Uh, dig deeper into that. Also google his wife and a former Xavier player (Tu Holloway) and reasons why he no longer wanted to be on that staff. Sounds like he's probably stable but his life-mate may not be. Just a vicious rumor but a rumor nonetheless.

Wow.....
Assumptions rescinded...that is some absolute madness

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow.....
Assumptions rescinded...that is some absolute madness

Sadly, IIUC, he blamed the latest change of heart on his wife not being happy moving. I don't know if it's the same lady but if it is, that guy's gotta get his house in order. He's tracking to be in line for major openings if he keeps progressing. But if admins feel he's unreliable, that'll all go up in smoke.

Look at what happened to Musselman. Although it was for different reasons, dude went from being an NBA HC to virtually unhireable for like a decade before emerging at Nevada.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
Good move for Dayton as I believe Anthony Grant is a UD graduate and who already is in his 50s so could see this is his final stop.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's a good hire. Always felt his "failure" at Bama were more about bad job selection. We'll look up at Avery Johnson's tenure there and it'll be eerily similar to Grant's and Gottfried's.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That hire is going to make the Dayton faithful happy. They were not happy with names like Mueller and Hunter.
Grant is a UD alum so there seemed to be alot of thought on their boards that unless they were going to go with a real up and comer that Grant would be a really good fit.
He turns 51 in a couple of weeks.

Based on how he did at VCU it feels like he should do well there and if he wanted to could use it to make one last stab at a power conference job.