Coaching Carousel 2 - A New Dawn

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would hate to see DLab leave so soon, but hope he gets his HC oppty at some point.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The two biggest issues facing Syracuse right now, imo
1) Coaching Carousel / Replacing Hopkins... Hop's replacement will likely not be the same caliber, especially given Autry was promoted to Associate HC. Does Boeheim grab Allen Griffin back from Dayton, promote from within, or go back to outside hire? Might depend on Archie Miller's next step.
2) 2 more years of scholarship and recruiting restrictions. Injury bug + lack of schollies + off court stuff was a bad mix this year. Thomas Bryant, Kevin Huerter, etc could have changed the course of this season, sigh.

I'm happy for Hop. While he was coach in waiting, there was ultimately no date ever given to him until Boeheim's retirement was forced by the previous administration. Can argue whether that was warranted or not. In any case Boeheim probably wants to leave on his terms, and now with a new AD/admin he can.

Makes sense with Bruiser Flint filling at least one spot in Bloomington

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Georgetown has managed to be on the lips of everyone at the Final Four in Phoenix this weekend, a sad case of relevancy due to dysfunction. Coaches, executives and agents can’t stop talking about the Hoyas’ flawed coaching search, the topic du jour of open-bar parties, tee boxes and convention halls. The fascination boils down to one question: What the hell is going on at Georgetown?

LINK

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Georgetown has managed to be on the lips of everyone at the Final Four in Phoenix this weekend, a sad case of relevancy due to dysfunction. Coaches, executives and agents can’t stop talking about the Hoyas’ flawed coaching search, the topic du jour of open-bar parties, tee boxes and convention halls. The fascination boils down to one question: What the hell is going on at Georgetown?

LINK
I would add UVA and Pitt to that question. But for different reasons, perhaps.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

LINK

Hey I wrote that article a week ago here. Get your mouse CFO to write me a check :D

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would add UVA and Pitt to that question. But for different reasons, perhaps.
I wouldn't include UVA in that question. Don't let the transfers fool you in to thinking they don't remain highly talented with solid depth to run Bennett's system.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Makes sense with Bruiser Flint filling at least one spot in Bloomington

But did you have to see Dr. James Andrews from that shoulder injury you got from patting yourself on the back? ;)

Seriously though, I do like that hire. I kinda/sorta wanted CPast to look at Flint as the experienced former HC hire. That said, I'm really happy with how our staff ended up.

I wouldn't include UVA in that question. Don't let the transfers fool you in to thinking they don't remain highly talented with solid depth to run Bennett's system.

Eh, you sure about that? I think they'll be good(ish) due to a solid system, but they're not necessarily "highly talented". I think a guy like Brogdon, who was (clearly) an NBA talent plus a 5-year guy, was vastly underrated. Meaning, he was better than we all knew. Well, better than most of us knew. I'm sure you were all over it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
But did you have to see Dr. James Andrews from that shoulder injury you got from patting yourself on the back? ;)

Seriously though, I do like that hire. I kinda/sorta wanted CPast to look at Flint as the experienced former HC hire. That said, I'm really happy with how our staff ended up.

Eh, you sure about that? I think they'll be good(ish) due to a solid system, but they're not necessarily "highly talented". I think a guy like Brogdon, who was (clearly) an NBA talent plus a 5-year guy, was vastly underrated. Meaning, he was better than we all knew. Well, better than most of us knew. I'm sure you were all over it.

They are going to need some help but they still have Guy, Wilkins, Hall and......eh....Salt. I think they will be good but Guy needs to step up to fill that Brogdon/Perrantes role

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They are going to need some help but they still have Guy, Wilkins, Hall and......eh....Salt. I think they will be good but Guy needs to step up to fill that Brogdon/Perrantes role

Were you overly impressed with them individually though? I wasn't. The system overwhelms people and even that only goes so far. They'll be fine. All I'm saying is I don't see them as 'elite'.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 - you sure you don't want to double check what UVA already has on hand?

Nah, I'm good with my seat-of-the-pants assessment. Fast forward to 04/03/18 and I imagine UVA will have a win total in the high 20's and a 1st/2nd round exit under their belt again. Solid, not spectacular.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nah, I'm good with my seat-of-the-pants assessment. Fast forward to 04/03/18 and I imagine UVA will have a win total in the high 20's and a 1st/2nd round exit under their belt again. Solid, not spectacular.

So... probably better than us again as our rebuild continues?