Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
can it get any worse than losing badly to Minnesota in a December bowl in Detroit with CGC?

Doubt it ( Oh yes it can guess you were not here in the early 80's or when B** L**** was here )

How about having losing seasons with no bowl two out of the three seasons preceding this ( It can happen and has before )

Doubt it

If CGC goes 25-24 with two bowl wins in his first four seasons it’ll be an improvement
( guess everyone has their standards but I see 25-24 and 24-25 as the about the same sh*t )

Liking CGC is fine I like him and guess what I liked CPJ also only been one head coach I didn't like , guess who ? Hint first name started with a B last name started with an L

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our last two coaches were .500 coaches. The last one retired of his own volition. I’m not sure why the bar should be set any higher than the previous guy?
There were a whole bunch of high’s along the way, as well. What kind of high’s by the new guy, beyond winning %, would be required to meet your bar?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Our last two coaches were .500 coaches. The last one retired of his own volition. I’m not sure why the bar should be set any higher than the previous guy?
My reason :

12719185.jpeg
or

Animal02

Banned
There were a whole bunch of high’s along the way, as well. What kind of high’s by the new guy, beyond winning %, would be required to meet your bar?
It is rather comical that after all the hyperventilating the last few months, the talk of NCs, Clemson like domination, etc etc, the koolaid drinkers are now setting expectations of matching Tech's historical average.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is rather comical that after all the hyperventilating the last few months, the talk of NCs, Clemson like domination, etc etc, the koolaid drinkers are now setting expectations of matching Tech's historical average.

Can you point out anyone who says GT is destined to win NCs and dominate like Clemson under CGC? I want you to specifically show us any quotes from anyone who specifically stated those things would happen.

BuzzFeitenSystem

Georgia Tech Fan
My post was sarcasm. I think CGC will do well.

Just saying that CGC doesn’t have to do much here to be an improvement. (Not an improvement to the collected career of CPJ here. But the mediocre trend downward over the past seasons.) The initial post made it out like the last coaching staff was elite and these new guys better come in like world beaters or we won’t be satisfied

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Negative
A press conference where the head coach doesnt act like he is not responsible for the defense or refers to it in the third person.
Positive
Take ownership of the results even when not good.

Negative
Not blitzing the same 2 lb in the same cg gap at the same time.
Positive
Taking risks and trusting that assistants have trained the players and they will execute .

Negative
Get rid of " it is what it is " and other condescending quips when speaking in public.
Positive
Cgc and whole staff ask for what you need after demonstrating 100% all in energy.

I am already happy because i know good things are coming.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Negative
A press conference where the head coach doesnt act like he is not responsible for the defense or refers to it in the third person.
Positive
Take ownership of the results even when not good.

Negative
Not blitzing the same 2 lb in the same cg gap at the same time.
Positive
Taking risks and trusting that assistants have trained the players and they will execute .

Negative
Get rid of " it is what it is " and other condescending quips when speaking in public.
Positive
Cgc and whole staff ask for what you need after demonstrating 100% all in energy.

I am already happy because i know good things are coming.
Don’t think you answered the question Ice. Be that as it may, I too, have a good feeling about the future. Good energy, good marketing, slight uptick in recruiting all leave me hopeful.

The jury is out on how much a recruiting uptick we can expect, game management, player development, win totals, championships, continued high standards in both academics and citizenship. The latter two I fear many on the train would sacrifice for wins.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
can it get any worse than losing badly to Minnesota in a December bowl in Detroit with CGC?

Doubt it

How about having losing seasons with no bowl two out of the three seasons preceding this

Doubt it

If CGC goes 25-24 with two bowl wins in his first four seasons it’ll be an improvement

But the fair comparison is first four years for each coach. CPJ was
34-19 with 4 bowl appearances. I hope CGC comes close to that.

If you compare someone's last four years with someone else's first four years you are cherry picking. Likewise if you start making claims about who inherited the better players or who has a more difficult challenge in changing the culture or instituting a new offensive scheme.

Supporters of CPJ were naturally excited that his first years at Tech were a turnaround from Gailey's last years. And CGC fans should have the same excitement. In either case all it means is that it was time for a change.

Setting the bar unreasonably low for CGC will be counter productive to the new culture we are trying to build.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you compare someone's last four years with someone else's first four years you are cherry picking. Likewise if you start making claims about who inherited the better players or who has a more difficult challenge in changing the culture or instituting a new offensive scheme.

So basically anything that doesn't paint Johnson in a favorable light it just cherry picking. Okay.