Coaching Acumen of the Previous Staff...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I loved CPJ. He was the perfect change we needed at that time and the thrills he gave me as a GT alum are some of the best memories I’ll take to my grave. So far, I like everything CGC has done and he seems to be the perfect change we need at this time. I hope my memory bank is added to in the future.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I loved CPJ. He was the perfect change we needed at that time and the thrills he gave me as a GT alum are some of the best memories I’ll take to my grave. So far, I like everything CGC has done and he seems to be the perfect change we need at this time. I hope my memory bank is added to in the future.
Good summary.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exactly this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In what world is comparing the most recent stretches considered arbitrary?
Because the most honest statement would be as follows:

"Before CGC coaches a single game I have already decided that he is a better coach than CPJ. But since I think he may not be better from day one, but only over the long run, I am going to compare his first years, not to CPJ's first years, but to a four year stretch where even CPJ was ready for a change."

That strikes me as both lowering the bar as well as comparing two things that are not alike. CPJ fans did the same thing with Chan Gailey. But that is what fans do. Who knows, maybe Gailey's sudden uptick in recruiting meant he was going to win the national championship in 2009. Maybe CPJ was going to be the national playoff in 2020. In either case we will never know.

But we do know what CPJ did his first 4 years at Tech. That is the standard.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And if you were being honest you only want to compare the first 4 years because it was when Johnson had the most talent, largely inherited, and so had the most success and compare it to a time period where the other coach has to largely use the lower level of talent that Johnson left, and was working with the last 4 years. You don't want to compare the two with relatively similar talent because it would cast doubt on your preconceived notion about Johnson.

What we do know is that Johnson went 24-25 his last 4 years here so anything above that is improvement over what we had. We haven't had 08-09 since... well 08-09. We've fallen a lot from that time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And if you were being honest you only want to compare the first 4 years because it was when Johnson had the most talent, largely inherited, and so had the most success and compare it to a time period where the other coach has to largely use the lower level of talent that Johnson left, and was working with the last 4 years. You don't want to compare the two with relatively similar talent because it would cast doubt on your preconceived notion about Johnson.

What we do know is that Johnson went 24-25 his last 4 years here so anything above that is improvement over what we had. We haven't had 08-09 since... well 08-09. We've fallen a lot from that time.
What the hell does it matter it's in the past , why can't we just enjoy our new coaching staff without looking for something bad to say about CPJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

This is a bogus and silly argument and I will explain why.

CPJ far exceeded expectations when he first took over from Gailey. I certainly didn't expect him to win at the rate he did. Most thought it would be a difficult transition to the new offense. Some, myself included, were not even sure this experiment would work. The spectacular results cemented in most people's minds that CPJ was a better coach.

However, as time when on, and the overall winning percentage did not get appreciably better, and recruiting did not seem to improve, people began to look for different ways to compare the coaches. Who had the most wins over Uga? Who won the most division or conference championships? Who went to the Orange Bowl the most? How did the respective coaches best seasons compare to each other?

The point is, there were legitimate arguments to be made. What we realized in hindsight was that comparing one coach's last years to another coach's first years gave a false impression. More data was needed.

CGC has yet to coach his first game. That is kind of important. It means that we have no data. It also means that if you are hellbent on proving he is a better coach, you might want to wait until after his first years. If you do want to use his first years then compare first years with first years. Nobody will know for a long time what CGC's last four years will be like nor whether he will go 0-12 his last year.

I am rooting like hell for our new coach. I don't have to bash CPJ to do that nor do I need to set up arbitrary comparisons or lower expectations. I honesty think he is going to be fine. Have a little confidence in him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't have to bash CPJ to do that nor do I need to set up arbitrary comparisons or lower expectations

There is absolutely nothing arbitrary about comparing this year to last year. The last development cycle to this next one.

And I have plenty of faith in the new coaching staff to get us to where we need to be. I don't have faith in what was left behind to make that happen right away.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There is absolutely nothing arbitrary about comparing this year to last year. The last development cycle to this next one.

And I have plenty of faith in the new coaching staff to get us to where we need to be. I don't have faith in what was left behind to make that happen right away.
CGC has said how surprised he was at the quality of athlete he inherited. So what if has immediate success? Will that not show he inherited talent? Of course not, it’ll show he’s a miracle worker, right?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CGC has said how surprised he was at the quality of athlete he inherited. So what if has immediate success? Will that not show he inherited talent? Of course not, it’ll show he’s a miracle worker, right?

You mean he didn't come in and talk down the players he was going to have to work with for the next couple of years? You don't say....

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow

I think I might be taking the bait here, but it'll be something in between. From my own eyes, CGC is not inheriting a plethora of high quality (relative to our own P5 competition) athletes. This being said, he is a far better evaluator of talent than me, so we should trust him. At the same time, every teammate is going to hear what he said, so there's approximately 0% chance he's going to say "boy, these athletes suck, I'm applying for new jobs starting yesterday" even if it's true.