Coaches on the Hot Seat

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
We blame Poole for too much. Maybe our coach can't close? Other than Rob Carter, who has the current staff recruited of note? Solo didn't work out and Rob wanted out. Maybe its not just a Solo problem? J/S

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We blame Poole for too much. Maybe our coach can't close? Other than Rob Carter, who has the current staff recruited of note? Solo didn't work out and Rob wanted out. Maybe its not just a Solo problem? J/S

Oh, I am no cBG apologist so I'm certainly not putting all (of most of) our woes at Solo's feet.

cBG certainly is a poor recruiter (open, close, whatever) but it's not out of line to suggest that Solo being here led to other guys going elsewhere if for no other reason than expected playing time, scholarship spot, etc.

That's not blaming him personally, it's just how it shook out. Combine that with the rumors that his AAU teammate didn't want to play with him. That's all I'm saying.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Note that is was CBG who decided to take Poole -so the blame lays with him, no one else.
Quarterman isn't a PG - he's more of a utility backcourt guy that can play a little everywhere - but I wouldn't want him as my full time PG. Would like him on my team though and he was not going to play with Solo.

We may or may not have gotten Morris (who I really wanted), but we would have stayed in the game if GT hadn't taken Solo. Also, if Morris had still gone to Iowa St (the other fav at the time) then Newkirk likely would have come because he would have liked the playing time.

I was having the discussion 3 yrs ago that the Poole recruitment would likely either make or break this staff. It broke. They chose the wrong guy and have been trying to fix it ever sense. I know they felt they likely had recovered nicely with Jorgy (and I think they are right) - but his ACL put things back at least a year.

FWIW, Solo is being typical Solo at Florida Atlantic. He ended up their 2nd leading scorer - but as usual was a volume shooter - with the highest avg per minute shot rate on the team. Also had the highest per min TO rate on the team - had 45 Assts to 70 TO on the year. He did manage to shoot 33% from both the field and the 3-pt line. FAU was 4-3 before he became eligible and went 5-16 the rest of the season. He is one the most undisciplined players i've ever seen - he just doesn't play within any structure and doesn't value the basketball.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

So I guess that 1st season, when they had success with like 6 seniors, was the aberration I figured it'd be.

I think Hurley ends up here.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice raise for Prohm. Likely the highest or one of the highest salaries ever in the OVC. Still, if a big school comes calling that is hardly going to keep him there. At the lower end he is going to be commanding $1.5M a yr from a P5 school and possibly higher. So he'll make more in 2 yrs at a P5 school what he would make for the life of that contract.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Note that is was CBG who decided to take Poole -so the blame lays with him, no one else.
Quarterman isn't a PG - he's more of a utility backcourt guy that can play a little everywhere - but I wouldn't want him as my full time PG. Would like him on my team though and he was not going to play with Solo.

We may or may not have gotten Morris (who I really wanted), but we would have stayed in the game if GT hadn't taken Solo. Also, if Morris had still gone to Iowa St (the other fav at the time) then Newkirk likely would have come because he would have liked the playing time.

I was having the discussion 3 yrs ago that the Poole recruitment would likely either make or break this staff. It broke. They chose the wrong guy and have been trying to fix it ever sense. I know they felt they likely had recovered nicely with Jorgy (and I think they are right) - but his ACL put things back at least a year.

FWIW, Solo is being typical Solo at Florida Atlantic. He ended up their 2nd leading scorer - but as usual was a volume shooter - with the highest avg per minute shot rate on the team. Also had the highest per min TO rate on the team - had 45 Assts to 70 TO on the year. He did manage to shoot 33% from both the field and the 3-pt line. FAU was 4-3 before he became eligible and went 5-16 the rest of the season. He is one the most undisciplined players i've ever seen - he just doesn't play within any structure and doesn't value the basketball.
I personally know Monte's high school coach and "inner circle". He wanted to go to Mich State. Izzo didn't think he fit in from what I was told but didn't want to cut ties to Flint area and put him into CBG. From what I was told we had him until we took a commit from Solo. Monte is a pure pg and with Solo "they" felt he would command the ball to much. Enter Jeff Greyer a flint legend and ISU alum and teammate of Hoyberg. That was the connection to ISU. After talking to someone close to the Morris' this past year he told me "BG the person is great but thank god Monte didn't go to that disaster down there". The Poole "party" is what I think ends up costing him his job.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like Texas negotiated a pretty low buyout when they extended Barnes last year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Looking at some that's on the list and the ones that were, are we better off with what we have for the now versus having to compete against some of these schools paying for a good quality coach?

No, we are better with you or I than our current "coach"