Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Duke tree is getting very busy before K thinks about retiring.
Collins at NW, Wojo at Marquette, Amaker at Harvard, Brey at ND, Dawkins at Stanford.
Will Capel take the ASU job. Best coach gets Duke in the next 5 years.

Have to wonder if Howland wishes he had waited 2 more days and then tried to get in at ASU.

Was on the Charlotte board and that was the exact comment a couple of posters made - if Price succeeds will GT grab him in 2 years.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nah, rather see us go get a proven winner. Lorenzo Romar, Tim Floyd, Kevin O'Neal. 7 year deal for abut $17 a game a $459 million buyout should be something bobble head could sell.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Got to feel a little for Steve Prohm. His team missed out on the NCAA because Belmont hit an off-balance guarded long three at the buzzer.
Then last night his team missed the semi-finals of the NIT because Old Dominion hit a running, guarded 35fter at the buzzer.

FWIW, unless it completely bombs I don't think he ends up at AL. After Auburn hired Pearl they felt they had to make a 'splash' hire, and now that Miss St has Howland that has only increased their desire to make that kind of hire and they have the money to do that if they want to. Even if they miss on Marshall i'm now hearing names like Tom Crean and Mark Turgeon as backups. I don't think they will go the up and comer route unless they really bomb with all the established guys - and you have to think at least one of them will take the money and run.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not a twitter guy, but Vecenie is a good one to follow. Really knows West Coast well. CBSSports eye of basketball podcasts with Sam, Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander are must listen to's for me. The last week or so they have been doing them about every other day. Parrish was the one that had all the details on the behind the Miss St hire. All 3 thought it was pretty greasy - but said that is the coaching profession sometime. FWIW, Rick Ray would be a great hire for Mark Price. Really good recruiter.

I'm interested to see what kind of staff Price puts together, will tell you alot about him as a coach.

Also, looks like Bobby Hurley is the frontrunner for Depaul. That whole Chicagoland area is starting to look like K central. If Hurley takes that job you have him in downtown Chicago at Depaul, Collins at NW in Evanston (northern suburb) and Wojo 90 miles north up the interstate at Marquette in Milwaukee. You would also have Brey at ND - which is not that far (95 miles) east and dominates Chicago college sports talk.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not a twitter guy, but Vecenie is a good one to follow. Really knows West Coast well. CBSSports eye of basketball podcasts with Sam, Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander are must listen to's for me. The last week or so they have been doing them about every other day. Parrish was the one that had all the details on the behind the Miss St hire. All 3 thought it was pretty greasy - but said that is the coaching profession sometime. FWIW, Rick Ray would be a great hire for Mark Price. Really good recruiter.

I'm interested to see what kind of staff Price puts together, will tell you alot about him as a coach.

Also, looks like Bobby Hurley is the frontrunner for Depaul. That whole Chicagoland area is starting to look like K central. If Hurley takes that job you have him in downtown Chicago at Depaul, Collins at NW in Evanston (northern suburb) and Wojo 90 miles north up the interstate at Marquette in Milwaukee. You would also have Brey at ND - which is not that far (95 miles) east and dominates Chicago college sports talk.
Yes. And all of them lobbying hard to be the next guy after Coach K retires. These guys will replace the students in the tents outside Cameron.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Even if they miss on Marshall i'm now hearing names like Tom Crean and Mark Turgeon as backups
I could see Crean, as Indiana is pretty unhappy with him as it is. I have a tougher time seeing them getting Turgeon. He just had the best season MD's had in a while, and would probably still be playing had Melo not gotten hurt. If Bama did make a run at him, I don't see MD letting him walk, - I bet they'd ante up and lock him down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I could see Crean, as Indiana is pretty unhappy with him as it is. I have a tougher time seeing them getting Turgeon. He just had the best season MD's had in a while, and would probably still be playing had Melo not gotten hurt. If Bama did make a run at him, I don't see MD letting him walk, - I bet they'd ante up and lock him down.

Any coach that walks away from a multi year contract to take a less pay is an idiot. Crean will make Indiana fire him, thus getting the buyout, then take a job that comes his way and get paid by two schools.

It's the Paul Hewitt/Charlie Weiss retirement parachute plan.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IND has to pay Crean $12M if they fire him before July 1. $7M after July 1. He is there at least one more season.

Turgeon will jump if AL offers him enough money.

Keep an eye on KY as well. If they win it all Cal could jump back to the NBA.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, the word in Knoxville is that Tyndall is really well liked, that he has done a good job of winning over key boosters and administration people - so unless the NCAA makes it basically impossible to keep him, the belief is that TN is going to hold on to Tyndall.