Coaches on the Hot Seat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, the word in Knoxville is that Tyndall is really well liked, that he has done a good job of winning over key boosters and administration people - so unless the NCAA makes it basically impossible to keep him, the belief is that TN is going to hold on to Tyndall.

Things change on a dime in college hoops. Two SEC jobs with huge resources looking to make a splash. It'll be really interesting to see how this unfolds.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No idea if he's got the grades or interest, but with Tyndall out at Tennessee, would you float an offer to Shembari Phillips from Wheeler if it facilitates a package deal with JB?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No idea if he's got the grades or interest, but with Tyndall out at Tennessee, would you float an offer to Shembari Phillips from Wheeler if it facilitates a package deal with JB?

I like your thinking however the Poole debacle has scared me to these package deals. The staff better make darn sure there's no quiet beef between the two if they go that route.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On the Vols, their AD has to be in the cross-hairs right? This was an awful hire considering what they went through with Pearl. I'd be surprised if they don't go after Prohm. @dtm1997 , if your boy Wade had about a year or two more at Chattanooga he'd probably be their guy.

Paging @Dmoney. What's the scoop in Volunteer land?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Lol, I love it.

On the Phillips kid you mentioned, here's a classy comment from the kid. We'll see where he stands after they land a coach.

TN really needs somebody to come in and clean things up. If they call me, I know of a squeaky clean guy I could suggest.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA was supposed to meet with TN yesterday afternoon. The Tyndall stuff must have been pretty bad. Wonder if he is looking at a year long suspension or a show cause.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like Tyndall is going to get hit hard.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...will-not-return-as-tennessee-basketball-coach

TN wanted to keep him but felt they couldn't after talking to the NCAA yesterday. Remember that the NCAA members voted in tougher penalties that take effect this year. if those guidelines had been used instead of the old ones Syracuse would have been hit harder than it was including a likely season long ban for Boeheim.

I could see White in contention there.

Should find out what happens to Rick Barnes fairly soon as well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It's a shame that this matters, but apparently it does indeed matter. SMDH Russell.

NCAA was supposed to meet with TN yesterday afternoon. The Tyndall stuff must have been pretty bad. Wonder if he is looking at a year long suspension or a show cause.

He must be facing a show cause. All I kept reading was TN couldn't afford to fire him unless they could avoid the buyout.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
one of the issues for Tyndall could be that he will be tagged as a repeat offender since he was found guilty of violations at Morehead St in 2010.
He has a $3M buyout through March 5, 2017 that TN will not have to pay if he is found guilty of Level 1 or 2 vioations - which i'm assuming it what they are expecting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rick Barnes is not fired (yet anyways) but apparently has to agree to some changes in order to keep his job. Those apparently include both staff changes and changes to his offensive system.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...rick-barnes-needs-to-make-changes-to-keep-job

Have to wonder if the AD is trying to make intolerable enough changes to Barnes that he decides to leave (hard to see him doing that with a $2.55M per yr salary).

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I like your thinking however the Poole debacle has scared me to these package deals. The staff better make darn sure there's no quiet beef between the two if they go that route.
Wasn't the Poole package deal with his brother? Are you implying that Solo and Stacy had beef?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wasn't the Poole package deal with his brother? Are you implying that Solo and Stacy had beef?

Oh, no, no, no, didn't mean to imply that. However, there were several PG's we missed out on because we took So. Poole IIUC. In particular, his former AAU teammate Quarterman allegedly didn't want to play with him.

Taking him also meant guys like Morris (IowaSt) and Newkirk (Pitt) were certainly not coming here. Now, granted, we probably would've missed out on them anyways because that's our M.O. now. Still though, Poole is the gift that keeps on taking in a lot of ways.