Coaches on the Hot Seat

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Would love Price at Charlotte. Used to go to 49er games all the time as a kid. Plus he's guaranteed to come to Murfreesboro once a year being in the Conference USA.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also looking forward to watching the Marshall Tourney once his season is over.
AL is apparently all in on Marshall. According to Parrish as soon as the season is over they are planning on offering him over $3M to coach, and will basically give him whatever it takes to get him. Plan on using Saban to recruit him as well. They are going to make him give them a yes or no. That may force TX to get off the sideline as they are rumored to want him as well. Funny thing is it wouldn't shock me to see him turn them down even with a Brinks truck backed up - he's got a little different personality and isn't driven solely by money.

According to Parrish AL has a list of one. They aren't even going to approach anyone else until they have a firm answer from Marshall.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would love Price at Charlotte. Used to go to 49er games all the time as a kid. Plus he's guaranteed to come to Murfreesboro once a year being in the Conference USA.
Charlotte moved to the Sun Belt a few years ago with GSU & GSU.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob might have really painted himself in to a corner here. If Price is successful, this year was your year to make a move. I'd bet dollars to donuts the donors are willing to have BG on the books for 2 years to prove out if Price can be successful as a college head coach and recruiting contacts are gonna be lining up to send ATL, Mid-Atlantic, & NC kids to work with the guy that fixed Kidd-Gilchrist's shot and worked with Kemba Walker in the NBA.

The countdown begins today!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Charlotte is a good litmus test for Price, who has never been in charge of a program at the college level. As "storybook" as it would be to have Price coach GT, you can't had over the reigns of the program on this level in the ACC to someone who's never been in charge of a program. IF Price really wants to coach at GT, he'll coach Charlotte to a lot of success for a few years and can take over for Gregory.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Charlotte is a good litmus test for Price, who has never been in charge of a program at the college level. As "storybook" as it would be to have Price coach GT, you can't had over the reigns of the program on this level in the ACC to someone who's never been in charge of a program. IF Price really wants to coach at GT, he'll coach Charlotte to a lot of success for a few years and can take over for Gregory.

Funny, the only thing I came away with after reading your post was the fact that we'll have to have cBG for more than 1 more year. Yikes. :eek:

I just with Price had entered the HC foray instead of taking the Hornets asst. job. Then he'd have multiple years of data from which folks could assess his ability to lead a program.

Just for the LOLs... but here's what we're hoping to avoid becoming

Indeed. Who knows why Hurley didn't go for it though. Maybe they tried to low-ball him? I'd be pissed if I hired a search firm and had something like this get out. Kind of a, "I can do bad all by myself", kinda thing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In the coaching moves news cycle, this tweet (from yesterday) is probably a little stale but I found it interesting.

Katz later tweeted that Capel is the clear top choice there and hinted that the ASU job is his if he wants it.

Still, there must be a lot of respect out west for what Neal is doing at New Mexico.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@kg01 If he can turn Charlotte around within 2-3 years, that's enough data.

It's a hoops state with a lot of local talent and he can also pull from the Mid-Atlantic & Georgia. It's also a competitive enough league to show if he's got the chops for game strategy & tactics.

In 2 years, BG's buyout is even lower, we're further out of the Hewitt Hole and we're either hiring a proven Mark Price or in better financial position to uptier from where we are today. We might as well admit now that reality is that we were probably living with BG for 2 more years anyway. I'd also say that if we're looking at hiring Mark Price, then those donor dollars will likely rush in to support the overall program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 If he can turn Charlotte around within 2-3 years, that's enough data.

It's a hoops state with a lot of local talent and he can also pull from the Mid-Atlantic & Georgia. It's also a competitive enough league to show if he's got the chops for game strategy & tactics.

In 2 years, BG's buyout is even lower, we're further out of the Hewitt Hole and we're either hiring a proven Mark Price or in better financial position to uptier from where we are today. We might as well admit now that reality is that we were probably living with BG for 2 more years anyway. I'd also say that if we're looking at hiring Mark Price, then those donor dollars will likely rush in to support the overall program.

Even though I fully understand the reality of the situation, I'm still hanging onto the notion that, by the time Price has 2-3 years at Charlotte, we'll be 1-2 years into a new coaching regime. ;)

I just can't get past that mental hurdle. Just give me time. At least I'm on step 2 since I've already admitted I have a problem?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even though I fully understand the reality of the situation, I'm still hanging onto the notion that, by the time Price has 2-3 years at Charlotte, we'll be 1-2 years into a new coaching regime. ;)

I just can't get past that mental hurdle. Just give me time. At least I'm on step 2 since I've already admitted I have a problem?
I don't like the idea of admitting it either. Also, while I'm not one of those rabid to bring Mark Price in, if he's essentially taking the steps necessary to justify coming back to GT if he wants to, it gives me that tiny shred of hope I need to possibly stomach 2 more years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Funny thought I just had... We've played home & homes several times with Charlotte. I bet they won't be back on the schedule for a while.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't like the idea of admitting it either. Also, while I'm not one of those rabid to bring Mark Price in, if he's essentially taking the steps necessary to justify coming back to GT if he wants to, it gives me that tiny shred of hope I need to possibly stomach 2 more years.
Yep, I can't say it out loud yet.

Back on coaching news,

Another dude in that timeline suggested Hurley may be waiting for St. Johns. Kinda makes sense if he's not committing to remaining at Buffalo just yet.