Coaches on the Hot Seat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pastner would indeed be a good fit there considering his time at Arizona. Dayton's Miller would be a fancy hire considering his brother's at Arizona.

I'm starting to think guys we liked for GT are gonna stay put this cycle, minus maybe Prohm after Bama strikes out with Marshall.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
no way Archie goes to ASU, that would be rough, playing your bro every year and recruiting same places, etc. That's why Arch should come to Tech

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
no way Archie goes to ASU, that would be rough, playing your bro every year and recruiting same places, etc. That's why Arch should come to Tech

Perhaps. It'd only be uncomfortable if one of their jobs is in jeopardy. I think Miller will be snapped up way before we can afford to pay him.

I guess someone might be ready for an on-the-job interview. MBob is gonna have a real problem on his hands if Price succeeds and isn't hired next go around.

Good luck to the former Jacket. That's a good stepping stone job for a 1st time HC.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If he does well at Charlotte then great, we can possibly make a run at him in a couple of years. If he fails there and he's not cut of to be a HC atleast it was while he was at Charlotte and not here. I just don't get all the Price for head coach talk. If he was a legend at Oklahoma or some other school would we still be talking about him getting the job here with zero experience?!?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The thing I find interesting is what happens if Price succeeds at Charlotte, the GT job opens, Price says he wants it... if you're Bobinski, are you saying no? If he wasn't already in deep doo doo with the big donors, where will he be if he says no to a now-proven Mark Price?

http://www.hoopdirt.com/blog/8f88f2d4/daily-dirt-ii-3-24-15/
• ESPN reported, and we have confirmed that Hornets assistant Mark Price is involved with the Charlotte job. Price, who played for 12-seasons in the NBA, has also been an assistant with five different NBA teams. Sounds like this one could wrap up soon.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If he does well at Charlotte then great, we can possibly make a run at him in a couple of years. If he fails there and he's not cut of to be a HC atleast it was while he was at Charlotte and not here. I just don't get all the Price for head coach talk. If he was a legend at Oklahoma or some other school would we still be talking about him getting the job here with zero experience?!?

I'm in this boat...which is why I want him to take the job. I hope he goes there and tears it up and makes it a easy choice for us.

Honestly I would rather have the Price experiment next year instead of BG..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If MP takes the Charlotte job, it gives GT a chance to see how he handles being a head coach. If he does well great, if he bombs he doesn't lose dace/cred with the GT family

This is would be a win - win situation for GT. :D

Well, if Price does great at Charlotte, it would also give people an opportunity to say, "I told ya so," to everyone who act as if there's no way I with his background could be a good head coach.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, if Price does great at Charlotte, it would also give people an opportunity to say, "I told ya so," to everyone who act as if there's no way I with his background could be a good head coach.
I've always thought the against argument on Price has centered around his desire to deal with the added layers of responsibility for college coaching, as opposed to actually being able to be a coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought the against argument on Price has centered around his desire to deal with the added layers of responsibility for college coaching, as opposed to actually being able to be a coach.

Part of my point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Was key keeping Fuller on in the transition to Mizzou's new coach. Really good recruiter and likely essential to them keeping Gant last recruiting cycle. Wherever he lands he'll be a force on the trail. Hope he heads out West and away from the state of GA.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think Price situation is a win-win for both parties if he takes the Charlotte job. Price gets a couple of years to get up the learning curve (and there is one) as a college HC - and a chance to see if he really wants to take on everything it involves, if he does well then he is more likely to be ready to take on the GT job if it is open in a few years. Frankly what I would love is for him to succeed really well and then GT be able to bring him home in a couple of years.

I am one of those that does not want to hire him yet. The ACC eats up asst coaches. It is the hardest league to coach in in the country. The most successful asst coach in the ACC in the last 30 years is Frank Haith. And he walked into a situation with a ready made NCAA team his first year. Most 1st time ACC HC's have not fared well.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, the behind the scenes story on Howland is very interesting and why you never needed to think he would end up at GT (sorry Pea).
If you don't know, Howland has a very tight relationship with Adidas - has for years - they were involved with him ending up at UCLA. He had made it clear he wanted to coach again, so Adidas got to work. Miss ST is an Adidas school. Last time around the AD used Parker Search firm to hire Ray and try to clean up the mess Stansbury left behind (reportedly every single player on the team when he arrived was in the drug program for positive drug tests). There was no search firm this time, there was really no search at all. Everything was put together behind the scenes by Adidas and then the AD fired Ray once it was clear it would happen. Oh, and then McCray - a former Adidas AAU coach is going to be hired to the staff. Gary Parrish had alot of great insight into this one on the CBS Eye on Basketball podcast
So basically you had an Adidas School, Adidas Coach and Adidas AAU guy. I would expect a solid stream of Atlanta Celtics to Starksville over the next few years.