Coaches on the Hot Seat

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The reason Hewitt gets trashed so much is that as soon as his assistants left, the program went south. So, most folks figure the credit for the success goes not to Hewitt, but to those assistants. Makes sense really. He has really failed for the last 10 years with remarkable consistency, yet is making a ton of money (so, yes, I think there is some resentment as well, especially as his pay has kept us from being able to afford a top notch head coach since).

So, the success that occurred, while wonderful, appears not to be due to Hewitt, per se. Failure of that magnitude rarely makes that much money, and most folks think it isn't right when it happens.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The reason Hewitt gets trashed so much is that as soon as his assistants left, the program went south. So, most folks figure the credit for the success goes not to Hewitt, but to those assistants. Makes sense really. He has really failed for the last 10 years with remarkable consistency, yet is making a ton of money (so, yes, I think there is some resentment as well, especially as his pay has kept us from being able to afford a top notch head coach since).

So, the success that occurred, while wonderful, appears not to be due to Hewitt, per se. Failure of that magnitude rarely makes that much money, and most folks think it isn't right when it happens.

I think you have to give Hweitt credit for putting the staff together though. And it isn't like he ran the guys off. They left after we had so much success that they got great offers. Hard for me to blame Hewitt for having too much success that his assistants got cherry picked. Sucked that he couldn't replace those guys with equal caliber assistants though, I will agree with that. But you have to give him all the credit for the first five years (and blame for the last).

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you have to give Hweitt credit for putting the staff together though. And it isn't like he ran the guys off. They left after we had so much success that they got great offers. Hard for me to blame Hewitt for having too much success that his assistants got cherry picked. Sucked that he couldn't replace those guys with equal caliber assistants though, I will agree with that. But you have to give him all the credit for the first five years (and blame for the last).
He spent too much time on non GT activities due to his contract. He was not motivated. Needed to replace assistants and find "GT 4 to 5 year fit" guys like our FB program is.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He spent too much time on non GT activities due to his contract. He was not motivated. Needed to replace assistants and find "GT 4 to 5 year fit" guys like our FB program is.
4-5 year fit guys are few & far between in college hoops. Even if you have a core of those, you typically need some high potential guys to put you over the top in a Power 5 conference.

Also, what non-GT activities was he spending too much time on? I've never heard that before, so curious to what they were.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Its things like what are happening right now that make me say:
say-what.jpg

When people say they would like to see CBG stay because he is a nice guy. He can be a nice guy as the Ast. AD or Color commentator. These awful starts and offensive possessions in year 4 are all too common.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
4-5 year fit guys are few & far between in college hoops. Even if you have a core of those, you typically need some high potential guys to put you over the top in a Power 5 conference.

Also, what non-GT activities was he spending too much time on? I've never heard that before, so curious to what they were.
He was President of the Black Coaches Assn. Not meant to be racist just an outside time consuming activity. Virginia, Gonzaga, Butler, Creighten, etc seem to keep players but it takes work to find them.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Ben Howland

Looks like he was hopeful on being a candidate for the UT job. Call this man..........

My understanding is that the Tennessee job may come right back open again this spring with Tindall's NCAA issues. He may still get his chance at that job.

Are folks okay with Howland's personality? I only remember the rumors from the SI article.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
RR has said Howland's issues may remove him from consideration. At this point I'd live with them considering he'd bring in talent and win. Plus his name doesn't take a back seat to the top tier coaches in the ACC.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some early game results.
Murray St (Prohm) just boat raced Austin Peay and remains undefeated in OVC. Love their guard play. Were up by 20 at half and never looked back.
Dayton lost on the road to a bad Duquesne team. Having only 6 scholarship players and a Thur night game didn't help.
Xavier destroyed Butler (who was #2 in the BE coming in). That was impressive.
LA Tech (White) is getting beat badly at Old Dominion.

Mack, Prohm, Miller and White in that order are still my top 4. Would be happy with any of them.

on Howland it all comes down to the background check for me. If it comes clean then he is at the top of the call list. If something pops up you move on. GT has never been willing to hire any coaches that weren't squeaky clean.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm watching Noodles team get beat down by a very talented but underachieving UNLV team. I like Dave Rice. A little. Great recruiter but average coach.