Featured Member
Games on Wednesday
Chris Mack (Xavier) at Cincinnati
Bob Mckillop (Davidson) at George Washington
Ben Jacobson (N. Iowa) as Loyola(ILL)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last night Marshall and Smart won easily, but Neal's UNM team was over-matched against SDSU.

If Mack wins tonight maybe we ought to consider him more seriously. That would mean he understands rivalry games are important.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both the Xavier and Davidson games should be good games with alot on the line.
Xavier game is on ESPN2.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The three best quotes from Tarkanians book.

3. "I always like to get transfers, especially from the Pac-10. They already have their cars paid for."

2. "Nine out of 10 schools are cheating. The other one is in last place."

1. "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it's going to give Cleveland State two more years probation"

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I never like Tarkanian, but that last quote is one of my all time fav sport related quotes.
All 3 coaches I listed won last night. Both the Xavier and Davidson games were excellent games.
Chris Mack is now 4-2 against in-city rival Cincy

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, going with the assumption that GT is unable to hire a home run (Marshall, Howland) or a stand up triple (Smart), after giving it alot of Fantasy GT AD thought here is my current top 5 (I of course reserve the right to change this on a whim just like any message board poster)

1. Chris Mack - He's my #1 because he has already had to prove himself as a recruiter and coach at the highest level of the ones on my list. In 6 years he has recruited 1 five star and 11 4-star players to Xavier - including 11 Top 100 players. After having a large class last year he has only 1 commit this year, but ironically it is Kaiser Gates from St. Francis HS in Atlanta. He also signed kids from FL, NC and VA, so he already his contacts in this area. He is the only coach with multiple visits to the second weekend of the NCAA Tourney. He's had 2 regular season 1st place finishes in his first 5 years. He would be the most expensive coach on the list, i'm thinking probably $2.2M or so per year. Would he leave his alma mater and home town, and a good basketball job for GT? Would his experience with MBob give GT a better chance? To me he is at worst a standup double and maybe a sliding triple.

2. Steve Prohm - He's moved up my list fast after not knowing much about him. He's likely going to reach his 100th win in just 4 seasons. That is strong. He's been to the NCAA and also has a CBI Championship - suggesting when playing against teams of similar talent he does well. He's finished first in his league all 3 yrs and currently has one of 4 league unbeaten teams left this year. Grew up in Dalton and went to Emory. No SE coaching experience but I bet he would do well coming home. Has signed kids from NC and FL and recruited kids in GA so he isn't cold in recruiting in the SE. I just look at his record and his accomplishments and start wondering if he could be one of the young coaches that develop into a Greg Marshall type career.

3. Archie Miller - His ACC ties are a big draw for me as is his coaching background (asst to Herb Sendek, Thad Matta and Sean Miller). Has the deepest NCAA run of the coaches in my top 5 - Elight Eight. He's been ticketed as a power conference HC since his early asst days. His first 2 years at Dayton were ok - a 5th place and 11th place and year 3 was a little of getting hot at the end of the season (team finished 5th in the A10 and was no lock for the Tourney), but this season has convinced me of his chops - taking a team with 6 players none over 6-6 and heading for 20+ wins and a likely 2nd NCAA Tourney appearance for him.

4. Mike White - I see him as a slightly lesser version of Prohm. Already has alot of SE experience as an asst and HC. Another with a strong first 4 years as he is also closing in on 100 wins. He has finished 1st in his conference twice in his first 3 years and could make it 3 of 4. Probably only downside is no NCAA experience yet. I could see an SEC program grabbing him soon.

5. This has been my hardest spot, i've vacillated with Brad Underwood and Ben Jacobson and ultimately decided to go outside the box with Underwood. He does have SE experience as HC as Daytona CC and asst at SC. But ultimately, looking at what he has done his first 2 season at Stephen F Austin - a school he had no ties to, is really impressive. So far 52-7 as a Div 1 HC and an NCAA appearance with a win over VCU. If you want to take a little bit of a flyer - or a less expensive option, I think this is the one. My only concern here is recruiting,

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
My #1 is Prohm followed by Mack. I would rather them than anyone except maybe Marshall. Prohm took a lightly recruited point guard outbid Biloxi, MS and made him a superstar and he dominated his junior and senior years. He really develops players and is going to be a dynamite coach in the future. I firmly believe he is going to be the next Smart or (butler's HC -forgot his name momentarily). He has a chance to be a real icon. I hope we make a move this year because I'm more impressed with all of these 5 than I was with CBG when he was hired. I really wanted CBG tondo well, but never believed he would. I don't want us to miss out on one of hose five and I think just about all of them will have the opprotunity to move on to jobs we can't pluck them from.

FWIW, going with the assumption that GT is unable to hire a home run (Marshall, Howland) or a stand up triple (Smart), after giving it alot of Fantasy GT AD thought here is my current top 5 (I of course reserve the right to change this on a whim just like any message board poster)

1. Chris Mack - He's my #1 because he has already had to prove himself as a recruiter and coach at the highest level of the ones on my list. In 6 years he has recruited 1 five star and 11 4-star players to Xavier - including 11 Top 100 players. After having a large class last year he has only 1 commit this year, but ironically it is Kaiser Gates from St. Francis HS in Atlanta. He also signed kids from FL, NC and VA, so he already his contacts in this area. He is the only coach with multiple visits to the second weekend of the NCAA Tourney. He's had 2 regular season 1st place finishes in his first 5 years. He would be the most expensive coach on the list, i'm thinking probably $2.2M or so per year. Would he leave his alma mater and home town, and a good basketball job for GT? Would his experience with MBob give GT a better chance? To me he is at worst a standup double and maybe a sliding triple.

2. Steve Prohm - He's moved up my list fast after not knowing much about him. He's likely going to reach his 100th win in just 4 seasons. That is strong. He's been to the NCAA and also has a CBI Championship - suggesting when playing against teams of similar talent he does well. He's finished first in his league all 3 yrs and currently has one of 4 league unbeaten teams left this year. Grew up in Dalton and went to Emory. No SE coaching experience but I bet he would do well coming home. Has signed kids from NC and FL and recruited kids in GA so he isn't cold in recruiting in the SE. I just look at his record and his accomplishments and start wondering if he could be one of the young coaches that develop into a Greg Marshall type career.

3. Archie Miller - His ACC ties are a big draw for me as is his coaching background (asst to Herb Sendek, Thad Matta and Sean Miller). Has the deepest NCAA run of the coaches in my top 5 - Elight Eight. He's been ticketed as a power conference HC since his early asst days. His first 2 years at Dayton were ok - a 5th place and 11th place and year 3 was a little of getting hot at the end of the season (team finished 5th in the A10 and was no lock for the Tourney), but this season has convinced me of his chops - taking a team with 6 players none over 6-6 and heading for 20+ wins and a likely 2nd NCAA Tourney appearance for him.

4. Mike White - I see him as a slightly lesser version of Prohm. Already has alot of SE experience as an asst and HC. Another with a strong first 4 years as he is also closing in on 100 wins. He has finished 1st in his conference twice in his first 3 years and could make it 3 of 4. Probably only downside is no NCAA experience yet. I could see an SEC program grabbing him soon.

5. This has been my hardest spot, i've vacillated with Brad Underwood and Ben Jacobson and ultimately decided to go outside the box with Underwood. He does have SE experience as HC as Daytona CC and asst at SC. But ultimately, looking at what he has done his first 2 season at Stephen F Austin - a school he had no ties to, is really impressive. So far 52-7 as a Div 1 HC and an NCAA appearance with a win over VCU. If you want to take a little bit of a flyer - or a less expensive option, I think this is the one. My only concern here is recruiting,

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure how to answer that question. Who is cheating constantly?
dook is allowed to cheat constantly. Quinn Cook might be the dirtiest player since Steve Blake. His hands are literally on who he's covering on defense at all times throughout the game, but doesn't get called at all. Forget all of the other fouls they should be racking up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
dook is allowed to cheat constantly. Quinn Cook might be the dirtiest player since Steve Blake. His hands are literally on who he's covering on defense at all times throughout the game, but doesn't get called at all. Forget all of the other fouls they should be racking up.
@dtm1997 , I have a lot of respect for your point of view, but you & I have a very different definition of cheating. If you want to say UNC was cheating when they kept players eligible with the fraud courses in the AFAM department, I might agree with you. But saying Duke is cheating because officials do not call fouls or violations the same way you would call them is simply wrong. I saw Duke playing great position defense last night. They have eight wonderful basketball players who are in top physical condition. Duke is a good defensive team. I don't think Roy Williams complained about a single call last night. If he did, I missed it.