Coaches on the Hot Seat

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are these contract numbers correct?

The fact that Josh Pastner makes $2.65M per year is unbelievable, but the fact that he makes over $1M more than Shaka is blasphemy.

They are correct but also not quite complete.
Remember Memphis was paying Calipari a ton and gave Pastner a first contract at a significantly higher rate than what Smart's first contract was at VCU.
Also, that $2.6 is the full amount for Pastner. Smart can earn up to another $700K/yr in various incentives. Pastner is still getting more, but not by as much as it appears.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last 2

Ben Howland - 399-208, 57 yrs old, 19 yrs as HC, 10 NCAA Tourneys, 3 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight, Finished first in conference 10 times
Howland has been out of work since his messy departure from UCLA. Pretty clearly an elite level coach and also one that wants to coach again if he can find a job that fits what he wants. He was rumored to be on a number of lists last year but no job - makes you wonder if something came up in background checks. He was recruiting Atlanta heavily at the end of his UCLA career and likely would be able to mine that again. He sort of got caught late at UCLA changing his style from a slower, defensive focused team, to a more uptempo unit. His last 2 years at UCLA his teams avg 1.07 ppp and allowed .951 ppp avg 67.1 ppg. Biggest negative outside potential player management issues is that other than 4 years at Pitt his entire career is on the West Coast - would he come east for a job or would he rather stay on the West coast by his family (kids and grandkids). He's one that you do background checks on, if they don't come back good then you move on but if they do come back clean then I think you have to approach him.

Bob McKillop - Davidson, 489-297, 64 yrs old, 26 yrs HC, 7 NCAA Tourney's, 1 Elite Eight, 13 1st place finishes in Southern Conference
McKillop is my other outside the box candidate. I don't think GT will look at him and I don't think he would come (his family is really happy at Davidson - all 3 kids graduated from there, the school named its court after him last year). That said, if you wanted a Larranaga type hire, shorter term, would clean things up and build a good team - McKillop is a strong x and o guy. Would likely have to get the right recruiting asst. His teams are excellent offensively 1.125 ppg last 4 years and not so good defensively 1.03 ppp allowed. They do play relatively quick - 67.1 posessions per game. I don't see this one happening, but just wanted to give a couple of outside the box candidates.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a wrap up.
Playing fantasy GT AD again here is sort of my thoughts.
My aspirational is Gregg Marshall. Have to call him and see. Frankly what I would do is relieve Gregory on Monday following the ACC Tournament. I would be on a plane that afternoon to talk to Marshall's agent. I would have a plan all layed out. This is what I see for GT basketball, this is how I see Marshall fitting in. This is the contract offer. I'd tell Marshall's agent to show it to Marshall at the conclusion of the Wichita St basketball season (showing respect for their season not being other), but asking for him to look at it as soon as it is over. Basically give maybe 5 days to make a decision and then move on if he doesn't say yes. (You could do similar to this for Shaka Smart if he is your inspirational). Obviously the aspirational ones you contact their agents early to guage if there is any legit interest and then make your moves based on that.

Assuming that a home run hire like that doesn't happen.
I would check out Howland -if everything comes back ok, i'd probably pursue him.

Of the coaches that are really in my top 5 that I think are realistic
Miller, White, Prohm, Mack, and Jacobson.

White and Prohm almost feel like the same coach. All 5 have teams that could play in the Tourney. Prohm and White likely have to win their conference tourneys to get in (Prohm may have slightly more leeway as he has one of 5 currently undefeated teams in conference play left). Miller and Jacobson are basically locked in (especially Jacobson). Mack is on the bubble.
I'd be happy with any of the 5 and I think White, Prohm and Miller would all take the job with a legit offer. Jacobson is probably the least likely given he has no ties at all to the area. Mack is all about whether he is truly interested in leaving Xavier, which is a good basketball job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Appreciate the great info and analysis. I think the only one I question is Jacobson. Him here would feel like Fox at UGA. Probably a good coach but such an 'outsider' that it'd take that adjustment period to really get where we want to be.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As a wrap up.
Playing fantasy GT AD again here is sort of my thoughts.
My aspirational is Gregg Marshall. Have to call him and see. Frankly what I would do is relieve Gregory on Monday following the ACC Tournament. I would be on a plane that afternoon to talk to Marshall's agent. I would have a plan all layed out. This is what I see for GT basketball, this is how I see Marshall fitting in. This is the contract offer. I'd tell Marshall's agent to show it to Marshall at the conclusion of the Wichita St basketball season (showing respect for their season not being other), but asking for him to look at it as soon as it is over. Basically give maybe 5 days to make a decision and then move on if he doesn't say yes. (You could do similar to this for Shaka Smart if he is your inspirational). Obviously the aspirational ones you contact their agents early to guage if there is any legit interest and then make your moves based on that.

Assuming that a home run hire like that doesn't happen.
I would check out Howland -if everything comes back ok, i'd probably pursue him.

Of the coaches that are really in my top 5 that I think are realistic
Miller, White, Prohm, Mack, and Jacobson.

White and Prohm almost feel like the same coach. All 5 have teams that could play in the Tourney. Prohm and White likely have to win their conference tourneys to get in (Prohm may have slightly more leeway as he has one of 5 currently undefeated teams in conference play left). Miller and Jacobson are basically locked in (especially Jacobson). Mack is on the bubble.
I'd be happy with any of the 5 and I think White, Prohm and Miller would all take the job with a legit offer. Jacobson is probably the least likely given he has no ties at all to the area. Mack is all about whether he is truly interested in leaving Xavier, which is a good basketball job.
I agree 100% regarding Marshall/Smart/Howland. Interestingly, I would go harder for Howland during the NCAAs and find out more about why he is still unemployed. No reason to not be doing that now if the decision has been made to release BG. You could also quietly determine what his interest might be if offered. You would have to make it clear that any public statements would be denied and end the talk.

I would love to see Marshall here, but worry we, too, would be a stepping stone for his dream job (wherever it may be). I assume GT is no one's dream job. At least, not right now. As stubborn about leaving VCU as he has been so far, I kinda think Smart is also looking for a dream job. While Richmond is a nice place, the A-10 is never going to be a power conference. He turned down VT, so you have to think it's not just the ACC he is looking for.

As for the other five, I would not have included Jacobson. He has no connection to the SE and many of the HS kids in Georgia have probably never heard of Northern Iowa. I might have Mack on my list, but at #5. The guy I would include is Craig Neal. I think he would take the job and do well. And, Cullen would likely come and be given a waiver to play right away. He has missed almost all of this season and it would be awkward to stay for his last two years (three is he got a medical waiver). I wonder whether Archie Millie would come to the ACC and coach against NC State.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that you can be looking into Howland's background earlier.
I think if Marshall leaves Wichita St it would be for a blue blood type job, but who knows.
Smart can wait for whatever he wants as well. He can wait for a blue blood job - he can wait for Wisc to open (he's a WI native) and see if that goes to Bennett.

The job of the AD ultimately is to hire a really good coach who also fits the school. I fully believe there are coaches out there that can do that, its up to the AD to find that coach.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Just out of curiosity, what about Larry Krystkowiak (Utah)? Not sure if he would ever leave, but he did a pretty good job of bringing that program back from a pair of losing seasons before he got there, to 20-4 and first place in the Pac 12 4 years later. Issue with him may be some recruiting questions brought up earlier - he's got experience at Montana, with the Bucks, and Utah - nothing in the SE region. Just wondering.

Record while at Utah
'11-'12: 6-25
'12-'13: 15-18
'13-'14: 21-12 (NIT)
'14-'15: 20-4 (Projected 3 seed in NCAAT)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
IMHO the A-10 is a power conference in terms of basketball already. They would give the SEC and Big 10 a run this year. While we beat URI earlier this year I feel if we played again the result would be much different. I'll watch the A10 over the Big 10 all day.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shaka has turned down $2.75MM - $3MM salaries to the following schools - UCLA, USC, Marquette, Wake Forest, & Illinois. He had previously turned down $2MM salaries at Maryland & NC State.

He'll leave Richmond someday, but not until 1 of like 5 jobs opens up and he goes there for a good long time. Barring poor performance, he's likely only making 1 move to last the next 20-30 years.

ETA: GT is not going to be on that list of 5.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If it wasn't for the fact this was his 1st year at Rice, he'd be higher on my list...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lots of good discussion here. Personally, I think that Miller is one to keep an eye on here. He's really got the Flyers playing well. He knows the ACC well from his playing days, and he has now proven himself as a coach in a respectable conference. It also seems logical to think that we would have Miller's ear taking into account MBob's history with his brother.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Archie was the guy already written on Bobinski's imaginary list. In my opinion, the next coach at GT must be someone with energy that can relate to the players and the fan base. At 36, Miller would fit that role perfectly, and I think that we could get him without breaking the bank. While he is not on the level of a Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall (not sure they would think twice anyway), he proven himself in the tournament, and I personally think that he is going to become a very very good coach.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Connell, your statements make alot of sense.
hadn't thought about Archie's connections to MBob. Obviously MBob worked with his older brother Sean. He also was an asst at Ohio State under Thad Matta - who MBob had hired at Xavier. Got to imagine Archie is going to get very high recommends from people MBob likely trusts. He also would have seen him up close at Dayton before taking the AD job here at GT -so he has a real familiarity with him.

If he wasn't at Dayton I think he would be higher on GT fans list. But I don't think AD's think that way. I think they are just looking to find the right guy.
He does check all my boxes for potential.
ACC experience - check (played and asst coach at NCSU)
Success at current school - check (This is more off of one season - last year's Elite Eight - though I think how he has won with this year's team is quite impressive)
Relateable - Absolutely, young former player. Has a reputation as a good recruiter.
Coaching background - asst to Herb Sendek, That Matta and Sean Miller - that's a pretty solid group of people to work for.

There's a reason he's in my top 5.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Your starting PG that's actually playing transfer midway through the conference season? Kevin Willard stays on my Hell No list. I mean, he's gonna get canned also, but hell no.

Just in case you got hit in the head and Willard crept off of your "HN" list, take a look at this ...

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-to-review-sterling-gibbs-elbow-of-ryan-arcidiacono/
Veteran New Jersey sportswriter Jim Hague wrote on his blog that racial tensions contributed to Sina’s departure.

“Sina felt like he was an outsider, getting called names because others felt he was getting favoritism from Willard, mentioning the color of Sina’s skin as the reason,” he wrote.

Sina's father denied the rumors of racial tension. What a mess.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just in case you got hit in the head and Willard crept off of your "HN" list, take a look at this ...

http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-to-review-sterling-gibbs-elbow-of-ryan-arcidiacono/

Sina's father denied the rumors of racial tension. What a mess.
Oh no. I have full clarity. He remains on the HN list when a player of apparently high character & brother of one of our 2016 recruits, Sterling Gibbs, decided to punch an opposing player in the face because of emotions.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, it clearly is not a foregone conclusion that we will have a new coach next season. But in the interest of keeping tabs i'll try to keep up when the coaches teams are in action.
Stephen F Austin got back on the winning track (after losing their first conference game in over 2 yrs) last night.
Wichita St is at S. Ill tonight
New Mexico is home vs San Diego St