Coach Johnson expressed interest in Tennessee's vacancy in November

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Due to our constraints, we always start the season with our heels on the edge of the precipice. We cannot absorb more than just a very few unlucky turns and still hope for success.

Injury and attrition are the primary culprits. Go back several seasons and try to find a poor season that was not riddled with them. Similarly, try to find a good one that suffered them as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I believe CPJ will win and retire at Tech. As for the Tennessee call, yea, maybe he did tell his agent to call. At that time was roughly the Duke game and he may have had one of those moments where you start thinking it might be time to move on. Sort of like when you are married and you are out with the guys and the cute girl across the way winks at you. Or you have a bad day at work. You might wink back, but then you catch yourself and say nope.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ would win championships and go to playoffs at Auburn or Tennessee. And they’d love his *** as soon as he did. If I were in his inner circle I’d tell him to make going to a factory his primary goal.

I don’t believe CPJ could recruit at a factory. So he might be able to win a championship at Auburn (they might have adequate talent on-hand).

Zero chance he could win a championship at UT. Their roster is trash.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, I think everyone can agree that if we miss another bowl game or have 6 wins with a loss to uga CPJ is most likely gone. In a make or break year for CPJ this just isnt a good look
I'm not so sure about that. Let's agree that Stansbury threw johnson a lifeline with the contract extension & raise. Now he can hang around until his retirement year and leave without being fired and as always, blame everyone else.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
CPJ would win championships and go to playoffs at Auburn or Tennessee. And they’d love his *** as soon as he did. If I were in his inner circle I’d tell him to make going to a factory his primary goal.

I never understood this train of thinking. Why do so many people want to go somewhere where everything is already built for them to succeed? If I was a top notch coach I'd find much greater satisfacion winning somewhere the odds are stacked against me and building a program.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I never understood this train of thinking. Why do so many people want to go somewhere where everything is already built for them to succeed? If I was a top notch coach I'd find much greater satisfacion winning somewhere the odds are stacked against me and building a program.

Money for one. And a national championship would pretty clearly demonstrate his offense isn’t a “high school offense” and prove his worth. He has a better shot of winning it all at a big program.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Money for one. And a national championship would pretty clearly demonstrate his offense isn’t a “high school offense” and prove his worth. He has a better shot of winning it all at a big program.

Paul makes over 2 million a year and is 60 years old. He has made plenty of money throughout his coaching career. If everyone thought like that. Miami would no longer have a football program and Va Tech would not be considered what they are today without Beamer. Sure money is awesome I love it. But who wants to be another Saban at Alabama? Why not build your own legacy.

Um I think three ACC Coastal Championships, an ACC Championship and an Orange Bowl victory pretty much demonstrates his offense is quite dangerous. If it was not why do teams dedicate 30 plus % of practice to it. Why do coaches, like Malzahn come visit CPJ and study his offense.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ was offered the job at Auburn and turned it down. Probably a good thing.

Tennessee would have eaten him alive. Coaching is not the only requirement there. Schmoozing the press, alumni, etc .. is at a scale he could not do. I like him, but he would not have lasted there. At Tech, there is no pressure and he can get away with dissing the press.

I think Paul is a excellent coach. And a terrible CEO of a program.
You're right on the money with your views except, I don't even believe he is an excellent coch.