Coach Johnson expressed interest in Tennessee's vacancy in November

Milwaukee

Banned
My two cents.

College football forever changed around 1970. It's pointless to look at records prior this as the conditions changed due to integration. Not only did the game change, but the athletes changed as well. Schools like Tech and Tennessee suddenly found that recruiting in Atlanta (Tech) or Tennessee just wasn't going to cut it. The schools that made the transition did well ...those that didn't are still feeling it.

Would I like to win an NC again at Tech? Yes. But the odds are against it. Unlike Alabama whose fans DEMAND an NC every year (not the least of which, there is really nothing else to look forward to in Alabama), Tech does not. Add to that the issue of recruiting students, some schools (like Alabama) depend on football success to positively promote the school. Studies show that winning schools have a higher degree of better quality kids applying, more National Merit finalists, etc. Tech has those in droves already ... so athletics is less of an issue to promote the school.

At this point, I'm frigging delighted that the kids Tech does recruit are still able to compete at the FBS level. Despite it all, Tech is still one of the top 125 schools in the nation ... even with all the headwinds. I've love to see us more consistent, but can't really complain. We are not a football school ... what we are is a one of the Top 50 schools in the world who happen to still be competitive in athletics regardless of whether we win an NC or not.

Anyway, I buy season tix and will continue to do so. I support any coach that steps into this situation knowing full well that the priority is academics and reputation and not just winning games. Paul Johnson did and I thank him for that. I wish he would do a few things different, but overall ... we've done ok.

You're right, people in Alabama sit around and wait on Alabama football to fulfill their lives. It's not like there are millionaires, happy families, husbands and wives, kids little league games, restaurants, weddings, or anything else in Alabama that millions of people enjoy. Its much different than the state of Georgia.

People who still ***** this same song are just miserable themselves. Don't get mad because Bama wins titles. If you wanna talk about academics go ahead, and you did, but stop trying to sneak in the passive aggressive shots at people who literally live a half hour away from where you live while trying to make them sound like aliens. Deliverance was filmed in GA in case you need some reference. Lol.

I'm from Alabama btw ;)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
While I wholeheartedly disagree with most the negative nancies in here, using number of wins instead of win percentage is silly considering the seasons are longer now.

Folks tend to forget that the regular season used to be 10 games, then 11 and now 12. Plus getting to a Bowl Game is easier today than 40 years ago.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You're right, people in Alabama sit around and wait on Alabama football to fulfill their lives. It's not like there are millionaires, happy families, husbands and wives, kids little league games, restaurants, weddings, or anything else in Alabama that millions of people enjoy. Its much different than the state of Georgia.

This Georgia Tech "group think" is disturbing and depressing. Georgia Tech is indeed a good school. But I have friends, relatives, business associates and neighbors that graduated from schools like Uga, UF,Ohio State, Auburn, Texas and Bama.
Despite the narrative that you read on the GT boards, they are happy, well adjusted and contributing to society. None are homeless or working in the fast food industry. Most of them follow football to the same degree that I do. Like me, none of them seem overly concerned that their schools let in athletes who might not otherwise get in to their respective institutions, colleges and universities. Like me, they are more concerned with more immediate and pressing matters in their lives. Not a single one of them have suffered financially, physically, or morally by what happens within their respective athletic programs.

They do not understand terms that seem to be specific to GT boards like "cheapening my degree" or other such nonsense.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
As a coach, Coach Johnson reminds me of a cross between Pepper Rodgers and Bobby Ross, if you ever could imagine such a thing. After tough games, Coach Ross would talk about "our kids fighting and fighting" to overcome adversity and win. Going back and watching some of those old post-game interviews, he sounded a lot like Coach Johnson. Coach Ross was all seriousness, but CPJ also had some of the funny-factor Coach Rodgers had. Of all the coaches who've been at the Flats in my lifetime, those three are my personal favorites.

Pepper Rodgers, perhaps more than any other individual, was the reason I became a Tech fan in the first place. I always looked forward to his TV shows the next day following a game. Remember, in those days you rarely saw Tech play live on TV. Usually we listened to the games on the radio, then caught up on all the highlights the next day on Coach Rodgers's show where they'd show the game film. The show was always very entertaining. I was talking with my wife the other day and explaining how, at his football camp in '77, I was fighting like mad to get his attention because I fully intended to play for him at Tech one day. Even though it would be another 8 years before I graduated high school, I looked at those two weeks as an audition... and eventually came away with the "best defensive lineman" award for my age group. Funny the things that go through a kid's mind at that age! One of my favorite memories of that time was him talking with my dad at the end of camp in the old film room. They talked together for about 20 minutes, reminiscing about life at Tech the way it was back in the '50s.

That Pepper was something else, that's for sure. What other coach would lead his team onto the field doing handstands like he did at Kansas? To his credit, he operated against some daunting headwinds especially the facilities which at the time were widely considered the worst in the country. Recruiting at Tech has always been challenging but it was particularly difficult during Pepper's tenure. On top of that, he faced opposition from many influential alumni including former teammates. So it was a pretty touch deal. My father could not stand him and that was an opinion shared by most of the "Old Guard" in the west stands. Just the way it was. Then, as now, the triple option in the guise of Pepper's "pure vanilla wishbone" as he phrased it was an equalizer to some extent especially when you had guys like Eddie Lee Ivery, David Sims, Adrian Rucker, Danny Myers in the backfield.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

People who still ***** this same song are just miserable themselves. Don't get mad because Bama wins titles. If you wanna talk about academics go ahead, and you did, but stop trying to sneak in the passive aggressive shots at people who literally live a half hour away from where you live while trying to make them sound like aliens. Deliverance was filmed in GA in case you need some reference. Lol.

I'm from Alabama btw ;)

My wife and her family are from Monroeville, Alabama. Most of them are "Dye Hard" Auburn fans. That said, they are good people. My nephew graduated from Auburn with a forestry degree and is a successful forester with a great family in Camden, Alabama. Nonetheless, I never fail to remind them of those two wins by Chan in the early 2000s when Auburn was heavily favored both times and we bush whacked them. So nice, we did it twice as the saying goes. The one at Grant Field was especially cool. The whole shooting match was there for what they thought would be a glorified scrimmage. Sadly, I was not a good host if you get my drift.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I'm from Alabama btw ;)

Are we sensitive? Here’s a newsflash pal. I’m from Alabama. My family migrated there after the Revolutionary War and our roots run deep in the state. The President of Alabama lived next door to my uncle. Most of my family attended Bama and many are involved in the Program. My brother in law’s family included several professors who taught there. I also teach in the university system and yes, many of the kids who attend state schools in Alabama are first generation to do so. And yes, it is a big deal to promote the university.

Why do you ATTACK someone who knows a good deal about what’s actually happening ... instead of throwing out a snarky comment like that? Personally, you sound like a total jerk.

I think I’ll sign off for a while. I’m going to enjoy my Easter with my family in Alabama.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I'm from Alabama btw ;)
Alien.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No hard feelings, just setting you straight. Someone needed to. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm at BDS.

Setting me straight about what? I don’t opine much, but when I do it’s because I have either personal knowledge, experience, or personally know the source of the information.

But I’m glad to know you’ll set me straight. I’m comforted.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
This Georgia Tech "group think" is disturbing and depressing. Georgia Tech is indeed a good school. But I have friends, relatives, business associates and neighbors that graduated from schools like Uga, UF,Ohio State, Auburn, Texas and Bama.
Despite the narrative that you read on the GT boards, they are happy, well adjusted and contributing to society. None are homeless or working in the fast food industry. Most of them follow football to the same degree that I do. Like me, none of them seem overly concerned that their schools let in athletes who might not otherwise get in to their respective institutions, colleges and universities. Like me, they are more concerned with more immediate and pressing matters in their lives. Not a single one of them have suffered financially, physically, or morally by what happens within their respective athletic programs.

They do not understand terms that seem to be specific to GT boards like "cheapening my degree" or other such nonsense.

All the schools you listed are fine schools for a non athletic kid. The difference is the football team is nowhere near the average student who attends the school. My best friend in high school had a 4.0 and wasn't accepted to ugag. Trent Thompson somehow got in though. That is my biggest problem with "factory schools" you're making the wrong kind of statement to young men.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure I agree with this. I think CPJ is glad to be at Tech. He took it upon himself, and against orders from MBob, to contact alumni and shill for money. CPJ is why we have a new locker room.

I think he would like Tech to WANT to field a great team. But they don’t. (Referring to the Hill here.) I think he’s doing the best he can with what he has to work with.
Loser mentality.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Tennessee is a good school for unathletic kids also;)(y)

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
^ This. I think CPJ is as good a fit as any at Tech and I'd like to see him retire here. With the exception of a couple seasons, the D has primarily been the Achilles heel of Paul Johnson-coached teams. I don't know why the D has never really been consistent here under Coach Johnson, but you can't fault the offensive output of most of his teams. As far as personality, it may be unfair to gauge the man, not knowing him except via the media. People I know who've met him or played under him (I know one of his old players at Navy) all said they liked CPJ in person. One of my friends flew him on a couple recruiting trips and said he was funny as all get out.

Winning has become so paramount these days, and alumni & fan bases (even at non-factory schools) are ridiculously short-sighted and impatient. There are probably 30 div-1 schools around the country that all believe they have a legitimate shot at the title, and if they don't get it within a certain number of years, the alumni and fans go ape and want the coach gone. Think about it.... There are significantly more div-1 (FBS) teams than NFL teams, all competing for just one trophy. That leaves a lot of disappointed fan bases each year, each one thinking they deserve a championship. Perhaps the old ranking system was better than the current playoff system with so many teams in the mix. In the old system, win out your schedule and you have a reasonable shot.

To this day there are still NFL teams that have never won the Super Bowl, even within a league much smaller than the current pool of div-1 college teams. Tech and UGA have both won 1 NC during the Super Bowl era, competing against a considerably larger pool of teams than the Falcons, who've never hoisted the trophy.

But even winning a conference title is difficult. UGA, I think, has only won the SEC twice since Coach Dooley, and we've won the ACC only a couple times in that same period. Meanwhile, the ACC is becoming tougher and tougher to compete in with each passing year. The bottom line, it's very difficult to win in today's climate -- even harder to do it ethically. Looking at our history since about 1965, I don't think changing a coach would bring real dividends in the long run. The culture on the Hill is the real constant in this equation. Unless the Hill changes, you won't see much overall improvement in Tech athletics. Then there's still the factories to compete against. Coach Johnson has done as well as I could have expected when he was hired, all things being equal. And he seems to do right by his players.
You are like most pj fans, always blaming other factors for pj's inabilities.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Since we went 12-0 in 1952 and 11-0-1 in 1951, apparently there were 11 game seasons back then too. Although by the time I got to Tech in '62, the seasons had only 10 games
I think across the board that there were variances through the 50's regarding games played for regular season before it went to 9 then 10 games.

Was at 10 games until 1970 when NCAA approved 11 games in regular season.
In 2006 the number wa$ increa$ed to 12 regular $ea$on game$.

Of course Conference Champion$hip game$ came to be later too.

Point being it is easier to get to a 9 when season these days and it was in the past.

That does not mean that Paul Johnson does not need a tip of the hat for doing what he has done to Georgia Tech. Just that it needs to be put into perspective.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This should settle the thread down...

... or not

I don't pretend to know the details but it would be astonishing to me if Coach Johnson either went to another school or was fired. This is as good as its going to get for him and we DEFINITELY do not need another coach collecting a paycheck for doing nothing. He will be here until he retires which may be sooner than some might think. He is not the Bear or JoePa or Coach Bowden holding on to the bitter end. Not happening.