Coach Dave Patenaude

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m just to the point some just like to hear them themselves talk. No need of posting facts or data. Some are going to believe what they want to believe
But it’s all total stats and discounts situations.

Still 2-4 for TDs in the red zone. We live and die by the big play and still don’t look very good inside the 20. I think this is really the main problem right now.

Also, the 2 min drill at the end of the half was nothing to be excited about.

Scubapro

Banned

Still 2-4 for TDs in the red zone. We live and die by the big play and still don’t look very good inside the 20. I think this is really the main problem right now.

Careful ... you will be called a troll for not being a fanboy of Patenaude.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
1. You are the troll. You've been trolling CGC since he was hired.
2. Strongly disagree with you on CDP, and the stats so far bear out that we are improving.
3. I'm willing to admit I might be wrong, but it won't be because I handcuffed myself to a narrative before CGC could even get his system in place.
4. I understand exactly the advice I gave, which is why I won't bother feeding the troll any longer.
Get over yourself buddy. You're sounding much more trolly with each post.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Get over yourself buddy. You're sounding much more trolly with each post.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Speaking of trolls

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you believe Clemson fans want staff members fired then you are gullible. A few guys on message boards don’t represent everyone. Just like they don’t here. Sure, Clemson fans are upset. Every fan gets upset when their team loses. We have way too many emotional people around here who are easily swayed.

For us GT fans, we all know Collins has at minimum thru next season so those who say we should be patient you’ll get your time. For those who hate him, sorry but he’s going to be here. For those in the middle, like me, we are rooting for him to succeed, but the data is what it is and it can’t be sugar coated. It observations are worthless and in no way effects the team. They know it. Collins has the time to do what he thinks needs to be done so if he fails it’s his own fault and not us message board warriors.

To be fair, I work with a fairly big Clemson donor. He wasn't overly thrilled when Jeff Scott left because, in his words, he was the better of the two Clemson OCs. He told me earlier this year that this would be the test for Elliott what with losing both Lawrence and Etienne. He has said there is a better than average possibility that Elliott won't make it to next season. If they lose another game with an anemic offense he might not make it to the end of this one. There is real frustration that they can't move the ball with a 5* QB and a 5* RB and several 5* WRs. He said it's not the fact that they've lost as much as HOW they are losing. The uga game was somewhat expected and understandable, but (HIS WORDS) the GT game was a real eye-opener for them on just how bad this offense is. (GT defense getting shredded by Duke and UVA pounds the point home for them)

Now, as far as that applies to Collins/CDP, it really doesn't. We are in a completely different boat what with the rebuild. They should have been able to reload with highly ranked talent, and they haven't successfully done that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

IMO, the RZ touchdown ratio is a direct result of OL depth right now. We are playing lots of young guys and some aren't in their normal positions. Upside to this is we are gaining valuable experience.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
1. You are the troll. You've been trolling CGC since he was hired.
2. Strongly disagree with you on CDP, and the stats so far bear out that we are improving.
3. I'm willing to admit I might be wrong, but it won't be because I handcuffed myself to a narrative before CGC could even get his system in place.
4. I understand exactly the advice I gave, which is why I won't bother feeding the troll any longer.
Lol. If your only response to someone is that they are a troll, then you have no response.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Careful ... you will be called a troll for not being a fanboy of Patenaude.
And with that, you troll. We all know how you feel about our OC. You’ve a right to your opinion, but at this point, I think you need a better basis. Our offense has shown when it’s executed, it’s affective. It’s when the execution breaks down it looks bad and like bad play-calling.

Edit: didn’t know others would be calling you out for trolling yourself. Didn’t mean to pile on. But, would love to see an updated reason for your dislike.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My take to this point (just a little over 2 1/2 years into Collins program) is that CDP is an average P5 OC and Thacker is a below average P5 DC.

If you look at the OFEI rankings we have gone from 94 to 92 to 67 so far this year (the actual number has also improved each year and is actually positive right now). The numbers are getting better. We've basically gone from awful to below average.
The DFEI ranking has gone from 93 to 88 to 93. Just very little movement. Even the raw number has seen just minimal improvement and is still in negative territory. More disturbingly with the exception of CPJ's last team the DFEI numbers under Collins have been much worse than the last 4 years of CPJ's program.

slugboy

Staff member
My take to this point (just a little over 2 1/2 years into Collins program) is that CDP is an average P5 OC and Thacker is a below average P5 DC.

If you look at the OFEI rankings we have gone from 94 to 92 to 67 so far this year (the actual number has also improved each year and is actually positive right now). The numbers are getting better. We've basically gone from awful to below average.
The DFEI ranking has gone from 93 to 88 to 93. Just very little movement. Even the raw number has seen just minimal improvement and is still in negative territory. More disturbingly with the exception of CPJ's last team the DFEI numbers under Collins have been much worse than the last 4 years of CPJ's program.
On offense, if we can stabilize the offensive line, we can be a lot better. There are other issues, but getting our blocking up to P5 “average” makes us a lot better faster than anything else. Whether you consider this year 3 or year 2 with a mulligan, that’s taking longer than many of us expected.
On defense, the line got better. The linebackers got better. The overall defense should have improved a lot. It hasn’t. Thomas and Domineck should make all ACC at some level, which says something about how we’ve improved at DL and LB.
Yes, today’s NCAA football favors offense, but our defense should still be no worse than average, and should be P5 respectable. It looked decent to good in half our games, but terrible in the others. It’s Jekyll and Hyde.
Both our offense and our defense should have played better against UVA. On offense, we have way too many 3- or 5-and-outs. On defense, it’s too few.
Edit: my opinion—most coaches are in that mishmash of “average coaches”. Many who are either above average or below average aren’t far enough in either direction to make a noticeable difference in results. There are a handful that blow the curve out of the water, but it’s just a few. There are more than that who are downright counterproductive, and that’s a bigger issue for teams.
Patenaude is probably in that mishmash in the middle, and probably a little better than average. Get him an average performing line, and you’re looking at a top 40 offense with the rest of the players we have.
On defense, we have some talented players, but we’re just getting beat at other spots or making bad plays. Good teams string good games together.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

With our offensive line, I would say the numbers on offense are quite understandable. No matter what the talent on the rest of the offense, if the offensive line is down, so is the rest of it. It's reasonable to hope (not assume, but hope) that an improvement on the OL will result in a big jump in offensive FEI.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, the RZ touchdown ratio is a direct result of OL depth right now. We are playing lots of young guys and some aren't in their normal positions. Upside to this is we are gaining valuable experience.
I agree. It's the passing game becomes harder with the compressed field, and we haven't been the best at straight-up run blocking.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, we have played better offenses than defenses. The average OFEI of our opponents has been 53rd while the average DFEI has been 66th. It's still pretty unfathomable how our defense has been so bad but they have had a bit tougher task. It will be interesting to see what our offense does the rest of the year. The average DFEI of the teams remaining is 38th. None of them have defenses as bad as Duke or UVA.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Can this thread be retired now following the UVA game? We scored 26 of our 40 points between the first and last five minutes of the game on drives that primarily involved passing, not rushing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be fair, we have played better offenses than defenses. The average OFEI of our opponents has been 53rd while the average DFEI has been 66th. It's still pretty unfathomable how our defense has been so bad but they have had a bit tougher task. It will be interesting to see what our offense does the rest of the year. The average DFEI of the teams remaining is 38th. None of them have defenses as bad as Duke or UVA.
The next 3 opponents will be a good look at where we are at. VT and Miami have very similar OFEI and DFEI to each other. BC is worse than those 2.
Then you get to the last 2 opponents where ND is #33 in OFEI and #14 in DFEI and UGA is #3 in OFEI and #1 in DFEI. We are likely to struggle on offense alot against our last 2 opponents.

UVA was the most bi-polar team we played all year - #7 in OFEI and #96 in DFEI.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now, as far as that applies to Collins/CDP, it really doesn't. We are in a completely different boat what with the rebuild. They should have been able to reload with highly ranked talent, and they haven't successfully done that.
It kinda does (imo) apply to CDP and Collins in a way. Remember, this is a guy who had a not insignificant number of backers for the HC position here despite not having ANY HC experience. I think they were in love with Clemson's results with TL, ETN and their predecessors and were unable, as most of us aren't, to separate the fly crap from the pepper. Or the players from the coaches. Most internet posters are not informed enough (again imo) to make meaningful personnel suggestions (either players or coaches). Although it certainly doesn't keep us from voicing them.

Some may point to our current record under Collins as being less than satisfactory. I would agree but that still doesn't make Elliot any more attractive a candidate (imo).